What is a good watch dog breed for a young family?

More
13 years 2 days ago #376900 by stephclark
i agree.. leonie.. she is lovely
my dumb bum GS x.. loved the lambing as well.. and much to the neighbours consternation ( well first year anyway ).. would run around cleaning all the newborns..she would mother them all and make sure they were fine.. pity the poor ewes who wondered wot the heck?.. dear ol stick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 days ago #376902 by Kevin and Perlita Morgan
Here they are called natives ,before when we lived in NZ they were called housing corp breeds
Cheers Kevin

More
13 years 2 days ago #376904 by stephclark

Kevin and Perlita Morgan;369670 wrote: Here they are called natives ,before when we lived in NZ they were called housing corp breeds
Cheers Kevin

aahhhh know just the breed.. :D .. the ol pavement special

More
13 years 2 days ago #376907 by Kevin and Perlita Morgan

More
13 years 2 days ago #376908 by stephclark

Kevin and Perlita Morgan;369670 wrote: Here they are called natives ,before when we lived in NZ they were called housing corp breeds
Cheers Kevin

i may know the 'breed' well...
tan, about the height of a lab, finer build than a lab, folded ears and a cunning glint in the eye.. live primarily on rubbish

More
13 years 2 days ago #376911 by Kalmara
TIC - their pedigree reads -
Sire "Fly By Night Of "
" (insert area)
Dam - "Out Of The House Section"

More
13 years 2 days ago #376913 by shad297
There are some breeds that don't mix well or have certain qualities you don't want. For example, I have a exracing greyhound... not the breed for you, they don't bark and are asleep 23hours a day.[/quote]
Hey, have to take issue with the above! We are first time dog owners and I have an ex racer too, no not suitable for what you want and I wouldn't recommend for your situation but my greyhound is fab with my kids and has just recently started barking, hackles up at people/cats/dogs that come to or pass my gate now (I suspect because he knows this is his permanent home after 3 months). He's big and black and probably looks quite frightening to some people. And he can move really fast especially when a cat is stupid enough to venture onto our property!
He does sleep a lot though.
I think at the end of the day whatever you get, make sure you train the dog to do what you want and don't want and make sure it doesn't think it is 'top dog' and it gets plenty of exercise and stimulation. I can't imagine not having a dog now, it's wonderful and I love my boy to bits. Sorry if this has already been mentioned.

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

More
13 years 2 days ago #376953 by Denneaux
Didn't mean to offend anyone, I meant that I don't recommend a greyhound for a watch dog situation as they aren't going to bark (exceptions exist of course)to let you know they've seen someone (if they are awake to see it). I have said in other posts how I'm sure my house has been left in peace because of the large dog in the yard. I felt very safe walking him after dark in town cause I'm sure he would get very scary if anyone was to try anything (if only to protect himself :D ).

If I spent enough time I may be able to get my greyhound to bark and chase cows. I may be able to get my huntaway to be silent and sleep so still he looks dead for hours on end. But, mankind has already spent thousands of generations breeding for certain instincts like guarding, hunting and herding..why not just start with an appropriate breed? or mix of breeds? :D

shad297;369681 wrote: There are some breeds that don't mix well or have certain qualities you don't want. For example, I have a exracing greyhound... not the breed for you, they don't bark and are asleep 23hours a day.

Hey, have to take issue with the above! We are first time dog owners and I have an ex racer too, no not suitable for what you want and I wouldn't recommend for your situation but my greyhound is fab with my kids and has just recently started barking, hackles up at people/cats/dogs that come to or pass my gate now (I suspect because he knows this is his permanent home after 3 months). He's big and black and probably looks quite frightening to some people. And he can move really fast especially when a cat is stupid enough to venture onto our property!
He does sleep a lot though.
I think at the end of the day whatever you get, make sure you train the dog to do what you want and don't want and make sure it doesn't think it is 'top dog' and it gets plenty of exercise and stimulation. I can't imagine not having a dog now, it's wonderful and I love my boy to bits. Sorry if this has already been mentioned.[/QUOTE]

Unless stated, the above post is not meant as criticism.

Go back and read it again in your HAPPY voice!

More
13 years 2 days ago #376954 by shad297
Hey Denneaux - I know I know - just wanted to add in my two penneth worth. Being a first time dog owner (as an adult) I don't really feel qualified to answer Sonya's question anyway - many more experienced lsb-ers and dog owners here! :)

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

More
13 years 2 days ago #376958 by madeit
we have a lab , he is awesome with the children even very gentle and tolerant of our toddler who sits on him given half a chance , he is only 1 so still in his learrning phase but he is terrible with the chooks !! never harmed one YET ! but labs are bird dogs so he likes to chase and cattch and bring it to you (just not close enough for you to rescue it !)sso if you want free range chooks I wouldn't get a lab , but they are fabulous otherwise (loaded with energy though so need space !)

More
12 years 11 months ago #377323 by Kascott
We have a shetland sheep dog x lab so basically a collie and the kids could stick there heads down her throat and shd wudnt flinch. Since shes a hearding breed she loves the chickens and just makes sure they are where they are suppose to be. Have never had a heatlh problem with her at all loves all people and kids, animals. She is also a FANTASTIC watch dog if ne1 comes up the drive she goes like a bat out of hell but she knows that if we let them inside or thru the gate they are fine and then she has a split personality and just loves them :)
We also have a purebred sydney silkies hes 7 months and a bit naughty with the banties but absolutley fine with the bigger chooks just need to make sure u teach them from a young age wats ok.

More
12 years 11 months ago #377374 by sonyajh

Kascott;370148 wrote: We have a shetland sheep dog x lab so basically a collie and the kids could stick there heads down her throat and shd wudnt flinch.

Hilarious! I am SURE it would help if I could meet all these adorable pooches ;)

We are in a position where we are about to take on a new flatmate ... an 84 year old family friend who will be recuperating from an operation, so with his pup (a 4 year old maltese cross bichon) here and with my 3 littlies (oldest is 7, youngest is 3) and our 6 chooks and adopted cat and a husband who is often awol (works 6-7 day weeks), I think I'll have enough on my hands without a new pup ... so that's given me even MORE time to not make a decision! lol!

You guys are lovely, so patient ... I love this place [:I]

1/4 acre urban lifestyler [:D]

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds