What is a good watch dog breed for a young family?

More
12 years 11 months ago #376632 by Thunda
My 5 cents - a lab would be good but don't get a Golden Retriever, I have 2 and my house got burgled with the dogs in it. They probably licked the burglers to death. The police arrived and my goldie lay down and put his head on the policemans foot!
They are the best dogs with kids etc and alot of the dog choosing websites rave about them, I love mine to bits but they are big sooks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #376634 by Organix

Thunda;369366 wrote: My 5 cents - a lab would be good but don't get a Golden Retriever, I have 2 and my house got burgled with the dogs in it. They probably licked the burglers to death. The police arrived and my goldie lay down and put his head on the policemans foot!
They are the best dogs with kids etc and alot of the dog choosing websites rave about them, I love mine to bits but they are big sooks!

I agree with this take on GRs. While attending obedience classes with a Bull Mastiff we had I saw a number of GRs that while being beautiful and very intelligent dogs were timid to the point of being dangerously so (i.e. sudden aggression due to fear).

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
12 years 11 months ago #376641 by Panda
Any type of dog, in the right environment, can be suitable as a watch dog, great with kids and animals. You don't need to pick a specific breed for that. I have 2 dogs, both crossbreeds, one from SPCA and the other from the Council Pound. Both are great with my chooks, and are great 'protectors' of our property (especially Murphy who is a Hunterway/Beardie cross with a really gruff bark).

So, my choice would always be to pick a 'second-hand' dog (as I lovingly refer to them). I always urge people not to get a dog from a breeder or pet shop....and I don't apologise for that. There's too many dogs around the country looking for a new home in your local SPCA or Pound etc.

Good luck, I'm sure the right dog will find you soon.....

xx

Murphy the dog. 4 chooks: Mocha, Otis, Betty and Suzi.

More
12 years 11 months ago #376647 by sonyajh
Panda, I'm starting to sway your way a little more too, I think that because soooo many people recommend soooo many different breeds, I really am starting to wonder if it just comes down to how much we love and care for our animals (including training), as to how protective they may be (except for the big sooky gorgeous GR's of course who let the burglars in, they're an exception hee hee) ... when the time's right we might just go to the pound or spca and rehome one of their lovelies ... I'm not 100% sure, but with all these wonderful answers, surely i can't go wrong with a mix of any of them put together!? :o) Thankyou everyone! I truly appreciate it ... and yes, I do agree that most people know staffys are too lovable to be aggressive towards humans, so maybe asking for heartbreak with that one ... :( they are just so beautiful!

1/4 acre urban lifestyler [:D]

More
12 years 11 months ago #376649 by Cinsara

Panda;369375 wrote: So, my choice would always be to pick a 'second-hand' dog (as I lovingly refer to them). I always urge people not to get a dog from a breeder or pet shop....and I don't apologise for that. There's too many dogs around the country looking for a new home in your local SPCA or Pound etc.

My 3 current dogs are all "second hand dogs" as were my previous 2 and also the one before my perfect RR [;)] I agree with giving them a second chance but some adult dogs have issues of one form or another which you have to be aware of eg jealousy. The SPCA temperament tests their dogs supposidly but the pound doesn't. In saying that there are also puppies for Africa at both places and if nothing takes your fancy one day, just keep going back until one adopts you :)

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
12 years 11 months ago #376651 by drifter
We found our Dalmatians to be excellent guard dogs and this, of course, was what the breed was bred to do :)
They are also fantastic family dogs and huge clowns. They can be high energy though.

My choice would always be to pick a pure bred dog because you know what traits you are getting. I always urge people with children not to get a dog from the spca because of the unpredictability of what you end up with....and I don't apologise for that.

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

More
12 years 11 months ago #376654 by PalmyCol
Sounds like you have really already made your mind up :rolleyes: don't want this, don't want that but DO love Staffies. Just do your self a favour and go get a Staffie, AND make it an inside dog, people burgle your house not your back yard, so when they knock on the door to see if anyone is home... WOOF WOOF WOOF and off they go next door.

More
12 years 11 months ago #376660 by LESLEYH

drifter;369385 wrote: We found our Dalmatians to be excellent guard dogs and this, of course, was what the breed was bred to do :)
They are also fantastic family dogs and huge clowns. They can be high energy though.

My choice would always be to pick a pure bred dog because you know what traits you are getting. I always urge people with children not to get a dog from the spca because of the unpredictability of what you end up with....and I don't apologise for that.

My lovely dally (Samual Joshua) passed away of old age at 13. He definately was not a watch dog but the most lovely, playful clown dog who just loved everyone and everything from the smallest chick to the largest stallion.

He just never ever barked at anything.

LESLEY

More
12 years 11 months ago #376661 by stephclark

Cinsara;369383 wrote: My 3 current dogs are all "second hand dogs" as were my previous 2 and also the one before my perfect RR [;)] I agree with giving them a second chance but some adult dogs have issues of one form or another which you have to be aware of eg jealousy. The SPCA temperament tests their dogs supposidly but the pound doesn't. In saying that there are also puppies for Africa at both places and if nothing takes your fancy one day, just keep going back until one adopts you :)

agree.. recycle them.. the SPCA is overrun with dogs and pups..
their new advert says it all.. if you cant make up your mind what breed to get, get a dog that abit of everything..
the right one will adopt you ..

More
12 years 11 months ago #376662 by Kalmara
[QUOTE=drifter
My choice would always be to pick a pure bred dog because you know what traits you are getting. I always urge people with children not to get a dog from the spca because of the unpredictability of what you end up with....and I don't apologise for that.[/quote]

Hits the nail on the head, agree with this 100%

Also there are some x-breeds out there with health problems which the SPCA & Pounds don't bother to test for.

More
12 years 11 months ago #376663 by stephclark

Kalmara;369400 wrote: Hits the nail on the head, agree with this 100%

Also there are some x-breeds out there with health problems which the SPCA & Pounds don't bother to test for.

that is true.. but then there are alot of purebreds that have inherant health probs too..

More
12 years 11 months ago #376672 by sonyajh
Aaaagh!!! I sooo understand and appreciate all of your points, and despite what someone said about me already knowing what I want, i truly don't :( such a big decision ... sorry if I've been a nuisance about it.
I take the point about the dog barking if left inside and someone knocks on the door ...
Thankyou, one day I shall make a decision

More
12 years 11 months ago #376682 by Kalmara

stephclark;369401 wrote: that is true.. but then there are alot of purebreds that have inherant health probs too..

Agree, there are some, but most breeders are aware & test/breed accordingly.

It's more likely for problems to arise if you have a cross between a CKCS and a dachshund you more than double the chances of getting problems from both breeds in the one animal.

I also have a x-breed here & never again will I ever entertain thoughts of owning a SPCA or Pound special.

More
12 years 11 months ago #376704 by Denneaux
Rehoming an adult or juvenile dog is not for a first time dog owner or, as someone already said, someone with young children UNLESS the owner has a very good reason for offloading the animal. I obtained both my current dogs as adults (ones a purebred the other a mutt) and didn't have many issues, but I knew exactly what to expect cause I'd had dogs before and had frank and full discussion with their previous owners so I knew I wasn't taking over someone elses problem. There's no kids here to worry about here.

There are some beautiful dogs at the SPCA mostly around 8months old which is around the time when thoughtless people realise they've created a problem. They deserve a good home yes, and make superb pets yes but they are full on and need a firm consistent environment and you don't know what else other issues need addressed.

Thinking of the kids again, won't they enjoy a puppy more. It's very exciting meeting the litter and picking out your pup.

As to crossbred vs purebreds both points raised here are legitimate . I think its good to have at least an idea of what breeds your pup consists in order to predict what you are getting.

There are some breeds that don't mix well or have certain qualities you don't want. For example, I have a exracing greyhound... not the breed for you, they don't bark and are asleep 23hours a day.

Unless stated, the above post is not meant as criticism.

Go back and read it again in your HAPPY voice!

More
12 years 11 months ago #376709 by sonyajh
Wow, why do greyhounds sleep for such long periods? Crazy, I thought they'd be very exuberant dogs ... well, maybe they are for the one hour they're up each day :o)

I do want a very young pup, that much I do know - I don't want to be concerned about what issues I'm inheriting as my children come first ... great to hear it from others too tho ...

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds