Any other lifestylers who don't have animals for their meat?

More
12 years 11 months ago #376348 by Ruth
That might make sense with punctuation, but I'm not entirely sure. Could you try that again please, Tv11?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #376368 by LongRidge
helen, either make hay out of the surplus grass and sell it when convenient, or get a neighbour to graze your land on a cost per animal per day basis.

More
12 years 11 months ago #376377 by Ronney
Towerview, did you have a couple of drinks after work tonight :D But I get the gist of what your father was saying - nothing was there for a free lifetime holiday.

And to a large extent, I agree. Few are able to have the luxury of an oversized back yard with a lot of mobile paddock ornaments roaming around costing money and producing nothing. There are mortgages, insurances, rates, feed etc. all of which have to be paid for. Most who buy a plot of land are doing it as a step towards self-sufficiency.

Most farmers, even "real" ones, have a soft spot for some of their stock and will carry them through to a ripe old age - and I am no exception. By accident, I chose a method of farming which allowed me to keep animals for a long period of time and there are the odd one or two useless sheep around but even then I am under no illusion that I can afford to keep everything that ends up here so while I may keep cows, ewes and sows for many years, their progeny go into the freezer, get sold or go to the works. What does get to live out their life gets shot when it's getting past it and is usually given away as dog tucker. That's not harsh, that's reality - the animal has done me well, I've done it well and there is no waste. It doesn't give me an income but it does pay the rates, the power bill and their winter feed, and sometimes, even a bit off the mortgage.

Sorry Helen, I think your partner has the right idea.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
12 years 11 months ago #376408 by thevarneys
Keeping in mind the price hikes of everything (but not wage increases) if one can live on a lsb, keep it maintained and not need to eat meat from it (or make money from meat) then I guess that is just as ok as what others do with their lsb. Personally, we couldnt get by without raising our own food (legged and un-legged)[;)]

Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

More
12 years 11 months ago #376455 by helen55
I guess I'm lucky that I don't have a mortgage or any loans and am not likely to in the future. My other outgoings aren't huge and the turmoil in the Middle East means my overseas holiday plans to visit Libya for the third time are on hold for the foreseeable future. In the meantime, I'll be happy if my little piece of land produces fruit and vegies for me and provides a long term home for some alpacas and a horse.

Living on a 7 acre property near Oamaru I currently have 5 wonderful Standardbred horses, 8 alpacas, 6 former battery hens, 1 labrador and 8 cats. I eat only plant based food and love trying new plant based recipes. Retired from the paid workforce in December 2019 and have never been busier!!

More
12 years 11 months ago #376457 by Stu_R
:) well said helen :) good on ya matey :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
12 years 11 months ago #376482 by LESLEYH
agreed, what ever works for you, you dont wish to have stock on your place for consumption don't do it. At the end of the day we all have to look back and be happy with the decisions we make. Don't feel bad about it, enjoy your block and your animals (if you wish to have them) and enjoy your new lifestyle.

LESLEY

More
12 years 11 months ago #376485 by pataka
Another vegetarian here - we even have a cow - but she is not for eating!! Her job is to keep the grass down - and she does a great job of that!!

More
12 years 11 months ago #376488 by helen55

pataka;369189 wrote: Another vegetarian here - we even have a cow - but she is not for eating!! Her job is to keep the grass down - and she does a great job if that!!

I used to eat meat many years ago but stopped when Rosie, the x-bred lamb came in to my life in 1992 ( I found her on the road one night when I was driving home from work !) - she had a great personality - went to 'bed' at night when she was told it was bed time etc etc.

Living on a 7 acre property near Oamaru I currently have 5 wonderful Standardbred horses, 8 alpacas, 6 former battery hens, 1 labrador and 8 cats. I eat only plant based food and love trying new plant based recipes. Retired from the paid workforce in December 2019 and have never been busier!!

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds