Any other lifestylers who don't have animals for their meat?

More
13 years 6 days ago #27305 by helen55
I'm not a meat eater and therefore don't want to have any animals on my property that are destined for the 'plate' whether it be in my home or someone else's.

My partner thinks I'm crazy as he says a few sheep or cattle could provide some sort of income for us. I'd rather just enjoy the space we have and share it with a horse and some alpacas and was wondering if there are any other people out there who think the way I do [?]

Living on a 7 acre property near Oamaru I currently have 5 wonderful Standardbred horses, 8 alpacas, 6 former battery hens, 1 labrador and 8 cats. I eat only plant based food and love trying new plant based recipes. Retired from the paid workforce in December 2019 and have never been busier!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 days ago #376285 by steve1983
haha brillant yeah im in the same boat - doesnt help if a partner is a vegeterian.
Im not keen to have animals even as they can cost alot to maintain. I just like have a big back yard, made some hay this year and sold the lot so im happy.

Steve Brown Rural Contracting LTD
Fencing Contractor in Canterbury
FCANZ Member

More
13 years 6 days ago #376286 by GloPony
Well I have horses & definitely don't eat them but then I also have 3 x hand reared ewes (& hope to have more at some stage) that are most definitely pets. They'll live out their lives in the lap of luxury! They want for nothing; have shelter in every paddock, sheep nuts on tap & daily cuddles & massages.

I'm not even sure if I'll ever put them in lamb as I'm worried something might happen to them lambing & I couldn't bring myself to eat their babies or let someone else eat them.

I do eat meat but only that which has been raised by other people & has had a nice life & a stress free (as possible) death or that which was wild & shot humanely by the husband.

At the end of the day, it's your land & you should be able to stock it & enjoy it any way you want! [;)]

More
13 years 6 days ago #376292 by Ruth
I have a handful of animals which will never be eaten by anyone. When they get old or infirm, they'll be euthanased as humanely as possible and buried. They're effectively pets in themselves. The same does not necessarily apply to their progeny.

I realise that isn't quite what you're asking.

More
13 years 6 days ago #376293 by Lindeggs
I'm sure there are plenty of vegetarian lifestylers out there. We have our chickens for eggs, not meat. When they stop laying they will continue to live with us until they die a natural death - at which point they will become compost. :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Missing my lovely chooks

More
13 years 6 days ago #376294 by Ghilly
It's the only kind we have! Goats for milk and chickens for eggs.... ok so it doesn't always flow that way, the chooks have moulted their feathers so they have shut up shop and the two goats that were in milk have dried off but in the meantime I get cuddles from the goats and the odd cuddle from Slugger the chicken. I don't want any animals that are going to end up on my plate, I just couldn't do it..... not even rabbit.

Yakut

More
13 years 6 days ago #376297 by helen55
Whew, I'm beginning to feel 'normal' again.

Living on a 7 acre property near Oamaru I currently have 5 wonderful Standardbred horses, 8 alpacas, 6 former battery hens, 1 labrador and 8 cats. I eat only plant based food and love trying new plant based recipes. Retired from the paid workforce in December 2019 and have never been busier!!

More
13 years 6 days ago #376299 by Ruth
Do please remember though, that letting an animal "die a natural death" is very often no kindness. Letting an animal "live a natural lifespan" might be a better phrase, as long as that lifespan is one of quality. Too many people can't let go of their pets, to the point that those pets suffer far more than many production animals ever do.

More
13 years 6 days ago #376303 by Jan
We have both "Pets" and "to be eaten" animals. So we have many ornaments as well and they shall remain that way until they die here.

We have a great big steer called sucky who was destined to be on our plate but he was just to tame and friendly and docile, so he is still here 6 years late lol. He always comes over for a pat and scratch.

So you are quite normal :-)

Jan

More
13 years 6 days ago #376314 by Lindeggs

Ruth;368982 wrote: Do please remember though, that letting an animal "die a natural death" is very often no kindness. Letting an animal "live a natural lifespan" might be a better phrase, as long as that lifespan is one of quality. Too many people can't let go of their pets, to the point that those pets suffer far more than many production animals ever do.

That's a good way of putting it Ruth. I thoroughly agree.

My chickens will live with us until the point at which I decide their quality of life no longer justifies keeping them alive. At which point they will be humanely dispatched and become compost.

I just wish that point was a little easier to identify with confidence and without the confusion of having emotional bonds. :confused:

Then there's the vexed issue of applying the same standards to humans - but that's a whole other story! [:0]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Missing my lovely chooks

More
13 years 6 days ago #376317 by Cinsara

Ruth;368982 wrote: Do please remember though, that letting an animal "die a natural death" is very often no kindness. Letting an animal "live a natural lifespan" might be a better phrase, as long as that lifespan is one of quality. Too many people can't let go of their pets, to the point that those pets suffer far more than many production animals ever do.

Totally agree, I'm not a big fan of a natural death in all honesty. Sometimes it happens quickly but in my experience it comes with it's share of discomfort and distress. With euthanasia it is far better to be 2 days too early, than 2 minutes too late.

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
13 years 6 days ago #376319 by GloPony

I would have thought that goes without saying but yes, the last part of that does highlight how stupid & selfish some can be.

The Animal Welfare Act (which EVERY animal owner should be well versed in) makes expectations re: quality of life, very clear for anyone who is unsure so there's no excuses really.

That's why I said, "live out their lives" as 'their' lives could be lengthy or short, depending on the many other things that could befall them along the way. [;)]

It's a VERY good point though Ruth! [^]

More
13 years 6 days ago #376320 by Ruth

Cinsara;369001 wrote: Totally agree, I'm not a big fan of a natural death in all honesty. Sometimes it happens quickly but in my experience it comes with it's share of discomfort and distress. With euthanasia it is far better to be 2 days too early, than 2 minutes too late.

Absolutely!

More
13 years 6 days ago #376323 by Aria
Cute question. We have our pets (not to be eaten) and we lease our grazing paddocks to the neighbours who have their animals (to be eaten).

Best of both worlds as we get an income (and a good price on a side of their beasts)!

:-)

More
13 years 6 days ago #376347 by towerview11
A quote my father told me and i hand it down
Is on our place we dont have pets we have freezer rates insurance hay cash calver

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds