Where to buy Brown Shavers

More
12 years 8 months ago #384108 by Leslie_NZ
Our little hyline is a wonderful little girl, bought at a week old so our day old Hamburg rescue would have a friend, she isnt as pretty as the other chickens we have, but being hand raised with the day old, her personality outweighs her lack of 'pretty' and she follows right on your heels if you walk around the garden, the others tend to be about 5 steps behind, but very wary and run off if you get too close.

Definitely recommend Hylines for their placid easy going nature.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #384301 by chooknlover
I bought 3 what I thought were Brown Shavers for $4 from a battery farm in Kawerau last august. One died suspiciously the next day (dog looked very guilty) but she was the one with a very pale and floppy comb and a clipped beak, so no biggie. The other two have laid an egg each every day since, apart from their moult at the beginning of winter for about 3 or 4 weeks and have started again a couple of weeks ago. They are great little birdies, and hunker down when I come near and are quite friendly to me and free range wonderfully. Only took them a week or so to learn to perch and run and and probably less to recognize the red bucket is food. Now you wouldnt even know they were batteries. They dont dig holes so I am assuming they are Hylines, as i looked in the guy up the roads coop yesterday and there was a giant deep hole in the middle of it which he said the chooks did!! funny!! They are my workers, and my purebreeds are really eye candy and meat

More
12 years 1 month ago #416534 by Ducking Around
There is a person in Helensville who sells them at about 18 weeks old. They are on trade me trading under ruby_vixen with 100% positive feedback.

More
12 years 1 month ago #416537 by Ducking Around
And the guy on trade me trading as dpc135 is a pet shop. Bit dodgy if you ask me.

More
12 years 1 month ago #416541 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Where to buy Brown Shavers
There is an ad up in the shop at Waimauku for brown shavers in this area. If I remember i will look for the number for you, it would be nice and local to you

More
12 years 1 month ago #416556 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Where to buy Brown Shavers
Don't get too carried away, the original post was last year. [;)]

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
11 years 1 month ago #454512 by friday
Replied by friday on topic Where to buy Brown Shavers
I always have lots of Genuine Shavers available, they are great birds, they lay good size eggs and are very hardy and friendly. :)

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds