Kids don't like Rooster

More
13 years 1 month ago #27103 by Animal Crazy
Any ideas??

When our rooster does his rooster duties the kids freak out and go into a panick.

The hens don't seem to like it much either and run away and seem very upset. Is this normal?

Any ideas as to what we can do with him if we want to get rid of him. He has been a pet and heading for the pot is not an option?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago #374374 by Denneaux
Replied by Denneaux on topic Kids don't like Rooster
Is he attacking the kids? If so, best to put him in the pot or ground if you can't bear to eat him. It's his duty to look after the hens, but once they've decided you are s threat its hard to change their minds. Look for Sue's broomstick method in here for the dispatch.

Or is he just mating with the hens? Roosters (esp the young ones) aren't all that romantic about the act. Assure the kids its normal and leave him to it.

Unless stated, the above post is not meant as criticism.

Go back and read it again in your HAPPY voice!

More
13 years 1 month ago #374375 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Kids don't like Rooster
Maybe the hens are reacting to your children's reactions? However, I agree with Denneaux, if he is attacking the children, which can sometimes happen with roosters who've been pets, then it will have to be the pot for him.

More
13 years 1 month ago #374382 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Kids don't like Rooster
The mating bit, with some chickens and with some ducks, is very unromantic. The rooster or drake grabs a good hold of the neck, and jumps on her. Donkeys do the same, and we had one jack that made the jennies fall onto the ground by biting their front legs.
If this "attack" by the rooster on the other chooks is a problem, then it is very normal, so is "your" problem and not the chooks problem.
Roosters, especially bantams, are notorious for attacking humans. You could try to protect yourself by always taking a stick with you, and use it to keep him away from you. If that doesn't work then it is time to ask for help from a neighbour.

More
13 years 1 month ago #374390 by davecla
Replied by davecla on topic Kids don't like Rooster
I'd suggest the behavior is "normal" and as suggested by LR is "your" problem rather than any personality failing on the part of the rooster.

More
13 years 1 month ago #374393 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Kids don't like Rooster
Ah the joys of country life.... we have roosters who are kind, we have had roosters who are ''cruel'' in how they handle their hens. I suppose it could say the same about mankind? :rolleyes:[;)]

Basically we have followed the principles that the unkind lot are dispatched for the freezer, our 13 yo is fine about the paddock to plate concept and doesn't like to see her girls picked on and happily eats the naughty rooster but rooster behaviour pre mating is somewhat different to what we humans expect.[:I][:I] :D

However a lot depends on how you educate your children. Sometimes I am sure my Girl is measuring up the next rooster for a particular chook dish she fancies....[:0][:0][8D]

More
13 years 1 month ago #374398 by trishb
Replied by trishb on topic Kids don't like Rooster
None of our roosters have been badly behaved to us but I can see how kids might not like the rough way roosters have with the hens. Some of ours even chase the hens for some distance before they catch them and do the deed! However all the hens we have seen with the rooster just put up with it, ruffle their feathers and carry on whatever they were doing! They don't seem that bothered!

More
13 years 1 month ago #374413 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Kids don't like Rooster
"Just lie back and think of England" I think is the apt quote...

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
13 years 1 month ago #374427 by Animal Crazy
The father of this young boy, 6 months old, started attacking the kids so we had him put down. The chickens we are we(ha ha) we had the vet do it.....how expensive was that?? So the kids are very afraid of roosters in general now. But this boy has not attacked any of us he is a bit nervous of us and steps out of your way when you walk around. He is not very romantic when he does the deed and some chickens don't seem to mind but others run/fly away and he does the chase and it is a terrible thing to watch as its all this noise. So maybe that's just his personality and won't become a gentleman when he grows up from what some of you are saying or will he become more laid back as he gets older?

More
13 years 1 month ago #374430 by Denneaux
Replied by Denneaux on topic Kids don't like Rooster
I think they get a bit more gentle as they get older. Young cockrels are very much into chasing the ladies down, even hiding behind things to pounce on unbeknowing hens that might walk past. They do learn it's not necessary after a while and/or their libido calms down I'm not sure which.
You don't often see an older rooster do it, unless he has competition from a bigger rooster, then you will get "sneaky Ffers" who pounce on ladies when the big guys not looking. I picked up that term from a deer hunter, but it seems to occur in all species.

Do you actually want a rooster? It kind of sounds like you don't.

Are you intending to breed your hens? This will also breed more roosters and if you are disinclined to kill them, you will be making life difficult and noisey.

If you find a way to get rid of this one (not the vet, unless they are going to break its neck for close to free!!!), then you will never have to do it again.

I think its good for children to learn the lifecycle of their food. Never did me any harm to see animals butchered as a child. Depending on the way the whole ordeal is presented (i.e. your reaction to it) kids will be fascinated rather than traumatised.

A couple of weeks ago I saw a tour group of 6 and 7 year old children being taken into the anatomy museum. Its packed with dead bodies (human!) in varying degrees of dissection. I thought that would be a disaster, but kids at that age have little regard for the emotional stuff an adult would consider when seeing a corpse and are more interested in seeing what things look like and how they work.

So if you can find a person to butcher it for you, or the guts to do it yourself. The kids ( I don't know how old they are, but they sound young) will find it rewarding, as long as you aren't vomitting in the garden behind them or anything.

The cheats way out is to stick it on trademe for $1 and let someone else eat it.

Unless stated, the above post is not meant as criticism.

Go back and read it again in your HAPPY voice!

More
13 years 1 month ago #374661 by Inger
Replied by Inger on topic Kids don't like Rooster
If you need a more gentlemanly rooster, I've got spare New Hampshire Red cockerals available for sale. As a breed, they are very good with the hens and not rough like some breeds we've had. Roosters can be variable in the manners department, but as I've said, the NHR roosters seem to be very good in comparison.

We're coming down through Auckland on the 13th, so can meet you somewhere handy. Our roosters aren't cheap, but I can guarantee their breeding and the egg laying ability of their bloodline.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

More
13 years 1 month ago #374669 by Cinsara
Replied by Cinsara on topic Kids don't like Rooster

Kiwi303;366851 wrote: "Just lie back and think of England" I think is the apt quote...

Haha, absolutely appropriate for the chook world :D

Sounds like your boy is just being a typical teenage rooster, however they aren't silly and will identify the kids as being less dominant if they see them "freak out and go into a panic" as you say. This may make the roo attack these panicing things that are upsetting his kingdom, I would either remove the children from the chook area until they learn to cope, or rehome the rooster.

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
13 years 1 month ago #374684 by Animal Crazy
Thanks for all the advice on the rooster you have given me lots to think about.

Inger at this stage I think we need to sort out this rooster first but thanks for the offer.

More
13 years 1 month ago #374710 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic Kids don't like Rooster
hiya.. seems to me he is a normal teenage roo!.. i have 2 ( one escaped the pot because we couldnt catch him ).. both big breeds, and they are only interested in the 2 smallest hens..absolute chaos.. they make such a racket, the dog charges out and chases the roos off.. if the boys dont learn some manners soon, they are never going to see any "action" :D

More
13 years 1 month ago #374737 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Kids don't like Rooster
:) good on ya dog :) .. smart puppy you have there Steph .. lol now wonder if he protects your daughters as well :) .. lol dog sounds like a very effective and cheap form of birth control :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds