looking for pony...

More
13 years 1 month ago #368550 by Jen - Featherston
Oh don't get me wrong, I'd go for temperament over looks too, but I would not buy the sweetest horse if it had bad conformation. Conformation has nothing to do with looks it is about how well that animal is put together. Bad legs = uncomfortable action, stress on joints and muscles etc etc etc... I guess it depends on what you want to do with your horse too, hacking and Grand Prix dressage are 2 very different things! I dont think anything or anyone for that matter has perfect conformation but there are some shocking examples around and personally something that after having a horse with bad conformation I am really aware of.

Sometimes its not only what you say, its the way you say it that counts.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago #368553 by Denneaux
Replied by Denneaux on topic looking for pony...
I'm wondering what happens when 9yo child (who weighs what 30kg?) trys to stop 1000kg Clydesdale from yanking it's head down to eat some yummy grass.

I imagine the child gets catapulted off the planet.

No offense glopony , but you were either an exceptional rider, on a ledrein or that horse went where it wanted most of the time (even lovely. horses aren't dumb).

Strength of the rider dictates the size of the horse that they can be expected to control, simple physics really.

Yes there are some small kids doing well on big ponies (just like there are some tiny adults riding massive horses) but they may not have learned to ride on a big horse. The probably took the time to learn good technique on a smaller horse (as Pkb's neice is trying to do) first.

.....either that or they put a industrial grade torture device in the horses mouth when they discovered they were overpowered.

I learned to ride on a 13.2hh pony and rode it til my legs were just about touching the ground (not the same pony, guys) before moving to ancient 15.2hh exhunter . Don't think it did me any harm.

Hands up everone who learned to drive in a Mclarren F1??

Unless stated, the above post is not meant as criticism.

Go back and read it again in your HAPPY voice!

More
13 years 1 month ago #368555 by drifter
Replied by drifter on topic looking for pony...

I'm wondering what happens when 9yo child (who weighs what 30kg?) trys to stop 1000kg Clydesdale from yanking it's head down to eat some yummy grass.

Exactly the same thing that happens when a 12hh pony does the yanking. It gets a grass rein put on. Duh :rolleyes:

But in my experience, yanking for grass is more of a little pony trick. Bigger horses have had bigger riders during their career and haven't been able to get away with it, so tend not to try it on with their smaller riders.

I've seen saintly bigger horses with little dots riding them and evil incarnate little ponies giving adults a hard time. And everything in between[;)]

I choose on temperament when looking for a kids pony.
Small or big is irrelevant but kind, willing and enjoying the job are paramount.

My 15.3, built like a tank appy, adored kids and my tiny wee 7 year old used to take him in games. One game was bend up through the poles, dismount, remove bridle, replace bridle, then race back :) I was asked by the organizers if my child would like to stand down from this race because her pony was 'so huge'. Nup, away she went. This saint of a horse would literally stretch his neck down to the ground so she could do the bridling (including his less than 'industrial grade torture device' of a snaffle bit:rolleyes:) and was certainly amenable to the scramble to remount using his knee as a toehold :D The other ponies in the race were yeehaaing off in all directions having taken advantage of the opportunity[;)]

Now, he was certainly big enough to have tanked off, with or without her. The difference is, he loved his job[:X]

I'd get a larger horse, sensitive to the aids, for a kid any day over a dead sided,kick, kick, kick along stubborn pony that hates his job.
Temperament is everything when they are carrying my precious children.

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

More
13 years 1 month ago #368717 by Jen - Featherston
I think some are missing the point, it is possible to get a pony with the most awesome temperament AND a good size for a 9yo child AND with good conformation, it may be ancient for the price they are willing to pay but even an ancient pony that has all this going for it is worth every penny.

Just about to post my proud mummy moment with my little girl on her 10.2hh pony - like I said she does everything all I do is a gear check before she gets on - she even did the plaiting for the day and she is only 7yo - the benefit of having a pony that is small enough for her to do, and learn all this with!

More
13 years 1 month ago #368840 by NZ Appaloosas
Replied by NZ Appaloosas on topic looking for pony...
Kudos to her for being able to plait! I'm a bit beyond 7yo, and still can't plait a mane.

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
13 years 1 month ago #368871 by Jen - Featherston

NZ Appaloosas;360357 wrote: Kudos to her for being able to plait! I'm a bit beyond 7yo, and still can't plait a mane.

Diane

LOL my dear friend Becks did the separating and showed her how to do it and then off she went! Becks did the rolling up bit when we got to the show - so she didn't do it all herself!

More
13 years 1 month ago #368906 by bev
Replied by bev on topic looking for pony...
on trade me atm listing #357213660 Is 2k ono.
This pony will be very well schooled, and comes from a top horseman stables.

More
13 years 1 month ago #368909 by GloPony
Replied by GloPony on topic looking for pony...

Denneaux;360034 wrote: I'm wondering what happens when 9yo child (who weighs what 30kg?) trys to stop 1000kg Clydesdale from yanking it's head down to eat some yummy grass.

I imagine the child gets catapulted off the planet.

No offense glopony , but you were either an exceptional rider, on a ledrein or that horse went where it wanted most of the time (even lovely. horses aren't dumb).

Strength of the rider dictates the size of the horse that they can be expected to control, simple physics really.

Yes there are some small kids doing well on big ponies (just like there are some tiny adults riding massive horses) but they may not have learned to ride on a big horse. The probably took the time to learn good technique on a smaller horse (as Pkb's neice is trying to do) first.

.....either that or they put a industrial grade torture device in the horses mouth when they discovered they were overpowered.

I learned to ride on a 13.2hh pony and rode it til my legs were just about touching the ground (not the same pony, guys) before moving to ancient 15.2hh exhunter . Don't think it did me any harm.

Um...no, I wasn't an exceptional rider at all but I WAS taught to ride properly off my seat, which I agree does seem to be an exception these days. :(

I still say size is irrelevant; a 10hh pony is stronger than an adult so a child can still have no show in controlling it. As you say, it's simple physics which means strength of the rider is also irrelevant! The horse is either obedient or it's not, end of story.

In my experience, teaching horses & riders (children too), far too many parents buy ponies on looks & breeding rather than focussing on temperament & reliability & they end up 'over horsing' their kids & scaring the hell out of them.

My point was, don't limit your search for a suitable pony/horse for a beginner rider by irrelevant things such as size & conformation. Conformation is only important if it's destined for the show ring. I regularly see horses & ponies with dreadful conformation who have made it to old age with no unsoundness issues due to the fact that all they've ever done is walk, trot, the occasional canter & popping over intro height jumps. You don't want or need an athlete when you're actually after a couch potato!

I know of a fabulous Kaimanawa who looks like a bendy bus; his back so long but he has taught LOTS of children to ride & even better, with that long back, the smaller ones can double & even triple on him comfortably. :D

Sure, if you can find the 'ideal' that ticks all the boxes on height, conformation AND temperament, GREAT! All I'm suggesting is that many 'perfect' (for the job) ponies & horses get overlooked in favour of a pretty face, to the detriment of both the pony & the child. Everyone complains that they can't find bombproof ponies anymore but if they were to think back to what most of those ponies actually looked like, they'd find that they are still out there, just not festooned with bling & ribbons in the showring necessarily.

Hands up everone who learned to drive in a Mclarren F1??

EXACTLY!! I learned to drive in a Humber 60, a Mini, a Hillman Hunter & two different Holden station wagons. I learned that they all handled differently & that no matter what the size or power of the vehicle, it was quite possible for me to control it effectively. I learned to drive at age 13 too btw (& yes, on the roads [:I]:o).

This is me on the Clydie I leased when I was 8 & the other photo is my son (aged 3) on my 15.1hh that I graduated onto when I was 12. He has the most dreadful upright pasterns & has been overweight for the majority of his life (he's now 33) so by 'expert' opinion, should have had navicular or ringbone years ago. Instead, he's taught countless children to ride & was a favourite at Ambury Park RDA for MANY years & has been fit as a fiddle his entire life. [^]

Attached files [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/360429=7357-Ben & me.jpg[/img]
File Attachment:

More
13 years 1 month ago #368938 by bev
Replied by bev on topic looking for pony...
the grin on your face says it all Glo pony .. Your having fun!!!!! ( i bet you were a kid that got growled alot for not being inside before dark, haha)
I was competing in hack rings when i was 13, my legs were too long for the ponies and looked like a knob!
My parents, well dad, never let my age restrict anything i wanted to go at, i was hunting with Maramarua hunt club when i was 12, Trevor was huntsman and kept his eye on me but after we flew over full hedges, full wires and gates, he was more worried about the old farts that got the shits and pulled their horses up at half wires.

a rider can make a good horse, a horse cant make a good rider.

More
13 years 1 month ago #368944 by GloPony

bev;360465 wrote: the grin on your face says it all Glo pony .. Your having fun!!!!! ( i bet you were a kid that got growled alot for not being inside before dark, haha)
a rider can make a good horse, a horse cant make a good rider.

How did you know??? [:0] :D Yes, my mother often had to come looking for me. I didn't 'get' that she might be worried about me & she didn't 'get' that I was perfectly fine & could see in the dark. [:I]:o :D

It sounds like we had similar upbringings Bev! Although I took it all for granted at the time, I really value all those experiences I was allowed as a youngster. I still have fun with my horses & do all sorts of un-PC things. I find it really sad that so many people these days (adults and kids) take horses far too seriously & don't really enjoy them for who they are rather than what they can do. If it's not fun, I ain't doing it! Hahaha!

I SO agree with you regarding riders & horses! In my experience, if you can get the rider right, the horse magically fixes itself. I'm always wary of instructors who focus their attention on the horse & not the rider. Horses know how to move their feet but the average rider has no idea where the horse's feet are at any given time.

More
13 years 1 month ago #369002 by pkb
Replied by pkb on topic looking for pony...
Thank you for all the comments - very interesting. They have found my niece a suitable 20yo pony via trademe but from what turned out to be an acquaintance; she has previously had a smaller pony but shows varying levels of interest, so they didn't want to spend a lot of money on a pony for her until she has shown that she will really spend the time necessary riding and looking after it. We shall see!

More
13 years 1 month ago #369006 by Denneaux
Replied by Denneaux on topic looking for pony...
Good work!

Unless stated, the above post is not meant as criticism.

Go back and read it again in your HAPPY voice!

More
13 years 1 month ago #369016 by GloPony
That's great news pkb!

I hope she sticks with it. I was VERY grateful for my horses through my childhood & especially teenage years.

More
13 years 1 month ago #369101 by Jen - Featherston
excellent news pkb, hope she goes well for her and that she sticks with it. Keep us updated!

More
13 years 1 month ago #369113 by igor
Replied by igor on topic looking for pony...
GloPony, just looked at your picture of yourself on the Clydesdale way back when. That's a real horse. One of our neighbours has a miniature pony that's just about as tall as our biggest goats. Another neighbour reckons it's horsepower rating is about one quarter. Is that a valid assessment? Anyone?

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds