looking for pony...

More
13 years 3 months ago #367643 by Denneaux
Replied by Denneaux on topic looking for pony...
That sounds better.

Unless stated, the above post is not meant as criticism.

Go back and read it again in your HAPPY voice!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #367661 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic looking for pony...
still a tall order for a good geilding under 14.2 for $1500

maybe a good mare ( prejudice, only some mares are batty ) at 14.3 ...( silly size.. too big for pony class.. )

good luck

More
13 years 3 months ago #367676 by Denneaux

stephclark;359035 wrote: still a tall order for a good geilding under 14.2 for $1500

maybe a good mare ( prejudice, only some mares are batty ) at 14.3 ...( silly size.. too big for pony class.. )

good luck

I've always been prepared to pay more for ( or in recent case allowed myself to be given ) a mare since they have breeding value. If you really love your gelding you can't breed from it to continue the line.
Equally, if your mare sustains an injury and can longer be ridden she may find a home as a broodmare.
$1500 would be a fairly reasonable price for an older (17 ish years old) gelding I think.

More
13 years 2 months ago #367974 by Denneaux

stephclark;358603 wrote: good call .. didnt mean to offend and hadnt actualy thought about the quality of the buyers..eekkk..just as bad as 90% of the offerings?

this is why mine die of old age at home.. :)

Just saw this, Yes! Getting some strange emails. Ad states pretty clearly (I think) that its not a beginners pony. The amount of people wanting her for a ledrein pony or cause Princess has just started riding and must simply have a pony with spots! Also getting a lot of people wanting me to lease her to Auckland...

More
13 years 2 months ago #367982 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic looking for pony...
pkb - what exactly do they want the pony to do? Pony Club, just hacking, show jumping, hunting, etc. How long has this girl been riding and when you say her parents are horse people, currently? and do they own their own land?

I MAY know of a pony (but I suspect too small - not sure of her height) but definitely way more money that you are suggesting. Still, what it is to be used for and how safe it is for that activity is a huge part of discussing what you are looking for and why so look foward to hearing from you.

More
13 years 2 months ago #368020 by drifter
Replied by drifter on topic looking for pony...
The pony I knew about has now sold. The owners never got as far as advertising him. Had two sets of people look within days of even a whisper of him being for sale. Two offers (at the price I said earlier) and he's gone to what the owners decided was the home they wanted for him :D

Good luck with your search.

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

More
13 years 2 months ago #368047 by GloPony
Replied by GloPony on topic looking for pony...
I'm looking for a similar perfect pony for one of my clients but they will take anything safe, sound & sane.

Height means nothing. I had a 17hh full Clydesdale as one of my first 'ponies' when I was 8 & he was replaced by a 15.1hh when I was 12. Safe is safe, no matter the size. [;)]

As for mares, just cause it's female does not make it breeding material. The theory that "if anything happens to it, it can still be a broodmare" is a pretty irresponsible approach to breeding IMHO & is no reason to make a conscious decision to choose a mare over a gelding as a riding horse.

As for prices, they've come down significantly in the last 12 months & will fall again over winter. Personally, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a safe beginner's pony for $1500 but you may need to be prepared to scour the length of the country to find it. They're some very nice Kaimanawas out there who are super sensible ponies & don't cost the earth. You may need to compromise on things like pretty colour, perfect conformation, age, height, breed, etc for your price range but safe, sound & dependable shouldn't be impossible.

More
13 years 2 months ago #368065 by Denneaux

GloPony;359476 wrote: I'm looking for a similar perfect pony for one of my clients but they will take anything safe, sound & sane.

Height means nothing. I had a 17hh full Clydesdale as one of my first 'ponies' when I was 8 & he was replaced by a 15.1hh when I was 12. Safe is safe, no matter the size. [;)]

As for mares, just cause it's female does not make it breeding material. The theory that "if anything happens to it, it can still be a broodmare" is a pretty irresponsible approach to breeding IMHO & is no reason to make a conscious decision to choose a mare over a gelding as a riding horse.

As for prices, they've come down significantly in the last 12 months & will fall again over winter. Personally, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a safe beginner's pony for $1500 but you may need to be prepared to scour the length of the country to find it. They're some very nice Kaimanawas out there who are super sensible ponies & don't cost the earth. You may need to compromise on things like pretty colour, perfect conformation, age, height, breed, etc for your price range but safe, sound & dependable shouldn't be impossible.

I think you twisted my theory which actually goes "if it's a gelding, it's no good for breeding". Which is fairly hard to argue with :D .

Nevertheless you shouldn't breed from mares willy-nilly. I've only ever bred small scale, for myself- not to sell to others. So I don't bred from things I don't like!

More
13 years 2 months ago #368128 by Jo-Otago
Replied by Jo-Otago on topic looking for pony...

I want to disagree cause I have my pony on trademe, but, yeah, there is a lot of crap being sold on there. And for every ad there is about five out and out nutters who answer it! I'm not finding it a very effective way to sell a horse.

I'm not finding it a very effective way to buy a horse either [}:)] Some people have some very funny ideas about what their horse is actually like that's for sure. I do much prefer word of mouth. Actually Denneaux my neighbours have spotted your girl on there & love the sound of her, they were who I was thinking of months back when you first mentioned her for lease on here but they already had a pony sorted then (or thought they did!). Said pony is not what it was sold to them as though and causing a lot of heartache so they are reevaluating things at present... so they may yet be in touch re: your wee girl. She looks a cutie I must say :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
13 years 2 months ago #368147 by Denneaux
Ooh I think I've already heard from them, the kid has hurt their hand at the moment so can't come out for a ride, but sounds like a promising lead.

What are you looking for Jo-Otago? I'll keep an eye out for you. I wish I could rely on word of mouth, but I don't know any horsey people in this area cause I keep to myself mostly, well not really, but I don't compete.

You can probably tell that from the photos. That's the first time I've jumped any thing official in about 3 years ( I had to build the jump for the photos) the first time I was so scared, but she just sailed over it! Luckily she has been well schooled by more talented people than I.

I seem to attract offers of freebie animals, somehow (in the last year I've got a very nice stationbred mare and a heading dog given to me)... so if I hear of something suitable I'll let you know!

More
13 years 2 months ago #368171 by Jo-Otago
Replied by Jo-Otago on topic looking for pony...
Sounds like that'll be them, PM me if you want any more details, they are lovely people & take good care of their animals :) .
Haha your jump looks like mine, actually maybe a bit better than mine [;)] and you look sweet-as going over it [8D].
What I am after? Something sane, safe & nice natured for husband for treks, trail rides, etc. around 16hh. His SB is 25yrs & while still in good health the longer rides are too much to ask of him now. Also like something to breed from in a few years time but that doesn't need to necessarily be the same horse, but it could be. If that were the case I'd like something clydie/stationbred type of solid build with tidy jump technique (though doesn't need to be able to jump or compete (broodie due to injury etc. would be fine). The girl in my profile pic was perfect, had been given to previous owner then I bought her for peanuts as a broodie but was the loveliest natured girl & turned out to be lovely to ride as well, sigh.
I'm going to be picky about what we get as our horses are such a big part of the family, no.1, 2, & 3 criteria are that must have very good temperament/nature! :)
Last horse we went to look at was meant to be really lovely & safe (apparently even for learner kids etc!) and I was only on it for 60 seconds before bailing off. I only got it to shuffle forward two half-steps before it hunched up & started growling (seriously!) and was like a bomb about to explode under me. Never been so scared on a horse in all my life (& I've ridden some characters and backed/broken in my own from scratch). Has put me off a bit from looking at horses I must admit, and I'm certainly not getting on another one unless the owner/seller rides it first! [}:)]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
13 years 2 months ago #368268 by Jen - Featherston

GloPony;359476 wrote: Height means nothing. I had a 17hh full Clydesdale as one of my first 'ponies' when I was 8 & he was replaced by a 15.1hh when I was 12. Safe is safe, no matter the size. [;)]

Well we will have to agree to disagree with the height thing, I put my DD on a 12.2hh pony last week, she rode her fine BUT at 7yo her legs are not long enough to apply pressure where it is needed, so this has resulted in her kicking to get the pony going (this pony only needs the slightest of pressure in the right place to go) which is teaching her bad habbits, and ruining a fantastic pony so not a good decision for either to put her on a pony too big for her.

GloPony;359476 wrote: As for mares, just cause it's female does not make it breeding material. The theory that "if anything happens to it, it can still be a broodmare" is a pretty irresponsible approach to breeding IMHO & is no reason to make a conscious decision to choose a mare over a gelding as a riding horse.

Absolutely agree with this, too many people are making poor decisions about breeding without experience or knowledge, or even what they want to achieve!

GloPony;359476 wrote: As for prices, they've come down significantly in the last 12 months & will fall again over winter. Personally, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a safe beginner's pony for $1500 but you may need to be prepared to scour the length of the country to find it. They're some very nice Kaimanawas out there who are super sensible ponies & don't cost the earth. You may need to compromise on things like pretty colour, perfect conformation, age, height, breed, etc for your price range but safe, sound & dependable shouldn't be impossible.

I agree in that if you are prepared to wait and scour TM and try pony after pony you might find something good for $1500 but like Glo says it would cost you lots to travel to see it and get it home better to spend $2500 locally I reckon. I dont agree that you should compromise on confirmation though, cause badly put together horses often go lame or need to be retired early due to that conformation. Having said that, My Ivory has terrible conformation (and uncomfy paces) and is retiring now at 27yo so has had a good life.

Sometimes its not only what you say, its the way you say it that counts.

More
13 years 2 months ago #368297 by GloPony

Jen - Featherston;359719 wrote: Well we will have to agree to disagree with the height thing, I put my DD on a 12.2hh pony last week, she rode her fine BUT at 7yo her legs are not long enough to apply pressure where it is needed, so this has resulted in her kicking to get the pony going (this pony only needs the slightest of pressure in the right place to go) which is teaching her bad habbits, and ruining a fantastic pony so not a good decision for either to put her on a pony too big for her.

Yep, we'll have to disagree. [;)] 'Cause I would say that mixed signals between pony & rider have very little to do with size. A large horse can feel a very small fly & respond so a small child can be just as effective if they've been taught to ride off their seat rather than their leg & the pony is genuinely soft & responsive.

More
13 years 2 months ago #368298 by GloPony

Jen - Featherston;359719 wrote:
I dont agree that you should compromise on confirmation though, cause badly put together horses often go lame or need to be retired early due to that conformation. Having said that, My Ivory has terrible conformation (and uncomfy paces) and is retiring now at 27yo so has had a good life.

I can list hundreds of faults in the conformation of my old boys & they're ALL in their 30's. They were all competitive in their day & were kept eventing fit without any conformational issues arising. Sure poor conformation can make horses more susceptible to certain ailments but it's in no way a certainty. It also depends on the severity of the fault & the level that the horse is to be ridden at. Most beginner ponies can go for MANY years on less than perfect bones, given that they don't exert themselves to any huge degree. If you want something for the Olympics, you obviously have different criteria & would accept a lot less faults.

Give me temperament over great looks EVERY time! [^]

More
13 years 2 months ago #368384 by igor
Replied by igor on topic looking for pony...
I don't even like horses (never eaten one though) but if I needed one I'd be selecting on temperament first like GloPony says. It's all very well to have a really good looking horse but it's worthless if you can't do anything with it.

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds