looking for pony...

More
13 years 3 months ago #26423 by pkb
looking for pony... was created by pkb
Hi

I don't know much about horses myself, but my 9-year-old niece is looking for a new pony. The requirements are that it should be over 10 years old, 14-15 hands, and bomb-proof. They would also like to pay not more than $1000. They live in the Pukekohe area. If anybody knows of such a horse, could they let me know?

Thanks! Tricia

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #367227 by Denneaux
Replied by Denneaux on topic looking for pony...
Good luck. It's definitely a buyers market out there for horses, but a grand for a perfect pony is a bit of a stretch. She may have to settle for something quite old or find something to lease. Wish I could help more!

Unless stated, the above post is not meant as criticism.

Go back and read it again in your HAPPY voice!

More
13 years 3 months ago #367233 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic looking for pony...
agree there.. 1k not much .. i have neighbours who are often looking for ponys for the girls, bomb proof, sound, no vices.. amd they a are taking 5k out in the cheque book and struggling..

if yu are lucky enough to find something in your price bracket.. get it vet checked.. you know what they say about gift horses. and if its too good to be true.. etc..

good luck

More
13 years 3 months ago #367234 by Jen - Featherston
Hey Tricia

I can understand wanting it to be over 10yo but why so big? My 7yo is on a 10.2hh pony and can do everything on her from picking out her feet to tacking her up even. She will be on her for the next year before she grows too big for her and she is average size for her age. The next pony she gets will be between 11.3-12.3hh for the same reason she needs to do everything herself.

And I think you will be hard pressed to find anything decent for $1000, you might get an old school master (18+yo) for around $1200 ish but I would think nothing under 15yo that is suitable for a 9yo for that sort of money.

We paid $2000 for Malta (she came with a cover too) and that was pretty cheap - she was 14, is now 15yo BTDT but she does have a tendency to buck (has only bucked maybe twice in the last year though), and has laminitus so her feed and feet need to be managed.

My advice, either spend more and get a decent pony, or put the money into lessons.

Sometimes its not only what you say, its the way you say it that counts.

More
13 years 3 months ago #367242 by pkb
Replied by pkb on topic looking for pony...
Thanks for the advice - I'll go back and double check what they are looking for. I think they have been quite surprised by the high prices out there on Trademe etc.

More
13 years 3 months ago #367248 by stephclark
eemm PKB.. i have found that the best ponies come from word of mouth... i occasionally look at TM..sorry there is alot of over priced awefulness there..
the gooduns never get to be advertised.. have you tried the local pony club or riding school?.. sometimes there are ponies that are being grown out of or are out for lease

15hh is a funny size.. too big for a pony and too small for hack.. ( dont shoot me out there.. i know 'park hack etc ' )

could be a few at the PC level that Miss 15 who wants to move onto the 16.2hh warm blood, will be wanting to move on

More
13 years 3 months ago #367253 by Denneaux
Replied by Denneaux on topic looking for pony...
I want to disagree cause I have my pony on trademe, but, yeah, there is a lot of crap being sold on there. And for every ad there is about five out and out nutters who answer it! I'm not finding it a very effective way to sell a horse.

Unless stated, the above post is not meant as criticism.

Go back and read it again in your HAPPY voice!

More
13 years 3 months ago #367258 by stephclark

Denneaux;358598 wrote: I want to disagree cause I have my pony on trademe, but, yeah, there is a lot of crap being sold on there. And for every ad there is about five out and out nutters who answer it! I'm not finding it a very effective way to sell a horse.

good call .. didnt mean to offend and hadnt actualy thought about the quality of the buyers..eekkk..just as bad as 90% of the offerings?

this is why mine die of old age at home.. :)

More
13 years 3 months ago #367275 by drifter
Replied by drifter on topic looking for pony...
I know of a pony for like the one described. Except he is for sale at a far more realistic price of $4000

Tell your rellies, pkb, that your nieces safety is paramount and that they need to buy a genuine learners pony and that is going to mean somewhere in the $3500+ range. But they are worth their weight in gold :D

I haven't seen a genuine learners pony in that price range they are suggesting for the best part of 20 years :(

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

More
13 years 3 months ago #367281 by Minky2
Replied by Minky2 on topic looking for pony...
I agree with above posts. It will be difficult to find a so-called 'bombproof' pony under around $3000 even advertised on the open market as they all sell by word of mouth. (So yes, it's a good idea to ask here and other similar places!) You do get the odd Stdbred pony for under $1000, that's about it. I also agree that 15 hh is too big for a 9 yr old unless she is really big for her age and very experienced. I have been looking for a pony for over a year now (along with hundreds of other people) and if one ever does appear for sale it is sold immediately (I mean the same day!) A lot of the ones that appear good in the ads have issues - reading between the lines you can usually tell without even going to look at them. Good luck - you will find something eventually but it may take time in that price range.

More
13 years 3 months ago #367285 by Jen - Featherston
oh yes I should have mentioned that the pony we got for $2k was through a friend, and only sold to us at $2k because we were friends...

I agree with the others spend $3500+ on something no bigger than 12.3hh and as long as she keeps it in work you will get the same price for it when you sell it in 2-3 years time.

Sometimes its not only what you say, its the way you say it that counts.

More
13 years 3 months ago #367298 by drifter
Replied by drifter on topic looking for pony...
I disagree with restricting the height. I know plenty of kids who have done well on bigger ponies. But, they were good ponies to start with, kind and obliging.

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

More
13 years 3 months ago #367349 by Thunda
Replied by Thunda on topic looking for pony...
Hi there just to confirm what everyone is saying about price. I bought a pretty bombproof extremely safe 14.3hh pony (for myself) last year. He cost $4000.00 and I had to travel from one end of the north island to the other to find him - he was word of mouth.
I looked hard every weekend for 7 months before finding him and had some extremly traumatic and upsetting experiences trying out horses off trade me. Both with meeting extremly uncared for horses and also from owners who told me their horses were quiet - when i got on they were anything but! I am sure there are also alot of dis-honest purchasers out there.

My advice would be to tell your friends to take their time and save more money to get a pony that will genuinley look after their child.

More
13 years 3 months ago #367351 by bev
Replied by bev on topic looking for pony...
word of mouth, is brilliant, my daughters pony is getting long in the tooth now, but he has taught 5 different family kids to ride, He has never been sold, he will come back here when the time is ready for him to cross over, but not once has money been exchanged!
Sometimes people enjoy the comapny and experience of horses without costing an arm and a leg to buy one.
There is a huge difference in the show ponies and just a paddock pony, ill keep an ear out as i think i know where one is comming up, but it will be down in the waikato.

More
13 years 3 months ago #367632 by pkb
Replied by pkb on topic looking for pony...
Just to amend what I originally said, I have double checked and this is in fact what they are looking for:

Over 10 years old
Gelding
Up to 14.2 hands
bombproof
Pay up to $1500

So I did get the height thing wrong, as many people have pointed out! They are horse people so have been asking around, but nothing has come up yet. I guess it's just a case of putting out the word and waiting...

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds