campbell live tonight

More
13 years 2 months ago #366970 by Huggiechook
Replied by Huggiechook on topic campbell live tonight

Blueberry;358266 wrote: The thing is, Huggiechook; they don't need to compete, either!![}:)] there's only two of them around, and why would they step on each others toes and take a cut in profits, if they don't have to??...

Ah but that is not how competition works. The idea is that you try to increase your market share by squeezing your margins - but end up with more profit - not less - i.e. selling more at a lower price can give you more than selling few at a higher price.

Especially at the moment where the price of milk is high in the public conciousness - it would be silly not to compete on that if you could.!!:confused:

Quarter Acre with Veggie Garden, Fruit trees, Berry bushes, Chicken run, Mushroom farm, Playground - and yes I manage to live there too [;)]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #366975 by Farmer53
Replied by Farmer53 on topic campbell live tonight

igor;358270 wrote: Why would a person buy green top? It's only fit for pigs. It's not vastly dissimilar to the wash water after I clean my milking bucket.

cause i like it. Maybe you oculd start bottling your pig swill/milking bucket and sell it, that would be competition for the fonterra then woudlnt it.

More
13 years 2 months ago #366987 by igor
Replied by igor on topic campbell live tonight
You are too far away for me to sell it to mate otherwise I'd let you have some.

More
13 years 2 months ago #367003 by Huggiechook
Replied by Huggiechook on topic campbell live tonight
www.stuff.co.nz/business/farming/4676611...-freezes-milk-prices

oh yeah good one - that will help - I can see their hearts bleed!!

How stupid do they think we are? [:(!]

Now just wait for the petrol companies racing to match that move

Quarter Acre with Veggie Garden, Fruit trees, Berry bushes, Chicken run, Mushroom farm, Playground - and yes I manage to live there too [;)]

More
13 years 2 months ago #367072 by FencerMan
Replied by FencerMan on topic campbell live tonight
Just to throw a spanner in the works...Just last week the two big supermarket companies in Australia said they were going into battle against each other over milk prices, reducing prices dramatically...

However...'independent experts' are reporting that if it continues it could well be the end of fresh milk in Australia...

Do something.

Either lead, follow, or get out of the way.

'Ted Turner'

More
13 years 1 month ago #368206 by 4MyStandys
Replied by 4MyStandys on topic campbell live tonight
We've had a housecow since August last year and while we've given up on the cheesemaking we still milk the cow several times a week (sharemilking with the calf) and get all our drinking milk, cream, butter, and best of all FANTASTIC yoghurt (unsweetened, natural, unflavoured and so so very yummy...and this from a chocolate dairy food fan ;-) )

Was going through 6kg a week...mostly on my own [:I]

I've had to cut back ;-)

Anyhoo...we estimate that from the drinking milk alone we're saving at least $30 a week, probably $10 or so added on for other products (yoghurt replaces quite a number of food groups ;-) )

So conservatively $40 a week saved on dairy produce - we spend at worst $30 a month on cowfood, just a treat to keep the enthusiasm for coming in going, so that's saved a net $130 a month.

Sure there's other expenses like hay, the occaisional drench, I'm sure we'll need the vet out sooner or later, and of course the bull issue (but I've come up with a cunning plan regarding that...) but even factoring in those we're still saving at least $1000 a year.

Which is just over 2 months petrol :-) Kind of worth the 20 mins of effort 3 times a week and occaisional muttering about wind, rain and flies ;-)

More
13 years 1 month ago #368207 by highgirl
Replied by highgirl on topic campbell live tonight
exactly...I'm so looking forward to getting my wee girl in calf and milking her because there is so much money to be saved.

I fully support the self sufficiency thing because I don't believe this Chch e/quake is the end of it...and we need to be prepared as much as we can for nice and natural [;)]

More
13 years 1 month ago #368212 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic campbell live tonight
Huggiechook - well said. Interesting that you mentioned John Campbell being chummie with the Fonterra guy and also the lack of hard hitting journalism - you are in my camp! I have moaned on this site for years on that one subject.

Milk aside (but heard and appreciated!) - JC showed his true colours when he fawned all over the Scientist in the Ken Ring interview on his show. I don't care who is right or wrong - I just want to see investigative journalism respected and returned to this country and interviewers returned to open minded reporters - not arrogant "stars" who need kicking in the goolies to bring their egos back to earth!

More
13 years 1 month ago #368215 by blimeyvicki
Replied by blimeyvicki on topic campbell live tonight

DiDi;359656 wrote: Huggiechook - well said. Interesting that you mentioned John Campbell being chummie with the Fonterra guy and also the lack of hard hitting journalism - you are in my camp! I have moaned on this site for years on that one subject.

Milk aside (but heard and appreciated!) - JC showed his true colours when he fawned all over the Scientist in the Ken Ring interview on his show. I don't care who is right or wrong - I just want to see investigative journalism respected and returned to this country and interviewers returned to open minded reporters - not arrogant "stars" who need kicking in the goolies to bring their egos back to earth!

I see Campbell took an absolute hammering in the media regarding his treatment of Ken Ring the other night - to the extent that he apologised! I watched a bit of the interview and was shocked as I don't recall that being his usual style?? More reminiscent of the old Paul Holmes who wouldn't let anyone actually speak. I'm not sure why he was an interviewer, he always knew the answers to the questions he asked and never allowed the interviewee to actually answer them.
I don't see the harm in people believing Ken Rings predictions. If the people of Chch want to leave town for a week around March 20th who could blame them and who's going to lose from that deal? Whatever it takes to stay sane in times of great stress I say and bugga what JC thinks!

More
13 years 1 month ago #368262 by BlueSkyBee
Replied by BlueSkyBee on topic campbell live tonight
I tried to find reference to this program on the net, and was thoroughly confused by this thread and the comments, when I realised that what I had found on Campbell Live was date stamped April 2010, (so completely the wrong story) nevertheless it was quite interesting, a peek into the lives of a family (Rachael De Lacey & Will Tong) who have decided to not shop at supermarkets, and limit themselves to 10 items a month from their local food store.

Here's the link...

www.3news.co.nz/Life-without-the-superma.../142520/Default.aspx

To dig in one’s own earth, with one’s own spade, does life hold anything better? –Beverly Nichols

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds