Trees

More
13 years 3 months ago #365476 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Trees
As I have never claimed nor strived for ladyhood, my cattle will continue to eat oak and Tutu. [}:)]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #365481 by kaybe
Replied by kaybe on topic Trees
What a nice idea Ruth. Our block was split off a larger farm long before we bought it, and the people who first bought it and built the house in the late 1980's were keen tree-planters. However my favourite trees on the block may be older than that, as I suspect they were shelter belt trees for the original farm. The only photo I have to hand is this one, of the line of pines which grow along the top of the gully and lead the way to the house as you turn the dogleg in the drive. It is one of my favourite views.

The other favourite trees are a huge old knarly Macrocapa that we call Treebeard because he looks like a warty old Ent, a large graceful Eucalypt that I can see from the kitchen, and a xmas plum that must be at least 30 feet tall! (The birds love that one too :-)

Attached files [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/356656=7221-JonathanInHammock copy.jpg[/img]

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
13 years 3 months ago #365485 by BillyTheTractor
Replied by BillyTheTractor on topic Trees
thanks Ruth, we adore it.
Pics don't really show the sheer size of the thing!
It's actually in our garden, so not near any stock.

Beautiful photo kaybe.
I am a total tree lover, we've planted an awful lot since moving here.

Lovely idea for a thread :D

Wee Farm

More
13 years 3 months ago #365753 by Ruth

Stikkibeek;356607 wrote: At a guess and that's all it could be, somewhere between 40 and 60 years.

Good guess! 51 years by ring count.

More
13 years 3 months ago #365754 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic Trees
awesome trees out there.. our block was once part of a bigger farm and the old knarly macros were part of the fence line ( yes there is barbed wired in the trucks about 15 feet up !! )..so back in the 30's i think they had been used as growing fence posts..bits keep falling off, so plenty of firewood..
favourite tree planting are the oaks, ash,london plains, ginkgo, birch, liquid amber mix along the boundary.. 20 years on.. a fantastic color in autumn.. and great attraction for the birds...

More
13 years 3 months ago #365756 by stephclark
and the magnolia grandaflora.. 25 years old, huge and the flowers are supurb

More
13 years 3 months ago #365763 by Yo Man
Replied by Yo Man on topic Trees
30 yo Kauri on our 1/4 acre section which is about 10m tall.

More
13 years 3 months ago #365765 by Akupe
Replied by Akupe on topic Trees
My LSB is well planted in with many mature trees. 4 - 45 year old redwoods (just babies), a couple of Totara and Rimus that would have to be over 200 years old each. Many huge Old Man Pines, one felled for firewood giving over 15 chords of firewood and more up to a hundred bags of pine cones. A few young cabbage trees and way to many maples and Sliver Birches. Autumn time is leaf raking hell!

My turn of the century Homestead is built with the heart Totara and Rimu from off the the proprty and surrounding farm my land was subdivided from. Soild as a rock even after 100 years!

3.8 ha ... 2 homestays ... 19 sheep ... 1 kune kune pig ... 3 cats ... 1 rabbit and a wife and 2 kids under 14 years old. Plus a full time job in Wellington. Phew!!!

More
13 years 3 months ago #365766 by stephclark
Akupe.. thats fantastic.. having the house built from trees of the farm its on
i have a 110 year old kauri and rimu house too.. but it was moved from the city years ago.. but seeing as where it has been relocated to and the history of the area ( logging ) the timber probably came from around my place anyway..

More
13 years 3 months ago #365877 by Akupe
Replied by Akupe on topic Trees
Yeah its cool to have the house built from the surrounding trees. The property was into its third generation of family ownership with the house having been built by the Grandfather of the lady we bought it from. So we're the first owners outside the original family. Also one of the first houses of its era to be built on concrete piles.

3.8 ha ... 2 homestays ... 19 sheep ... 1 kune kune pig ... 3 cats ... 1 rabbit and a wife and 2 kids under 14 years old. Plus a full time job in Wellington. Phew!!!

More
13 years 3 months ago #366203 by Hintzashouse
Replied by Hintzashouse on topic Trees
This is my favourite, a marcrocarpa. The sheep invariably bring their lambs to shelter under it in amongst the roots which are quite high above ground in some part of its circumference. The lambs play chase around it and hurdle the roots. Its divided in the middle so the chooks sometimes lay in the cleft. And the kids build shelves in the branches.

Attached files [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/357433=7251-X 4.jpg[/img]

More
13 years 3 months ago #366282 by max a million
Replied by max a million on topic Trees
We had a pretty much bare block apart from some old Tangelo trees and some Oldhamii bamboo so everything That we have, we have planted, from about 7/8 years ago. The fastest trees have been Paulownia tomentosa (10m in 3 years), Brazilian fern tree (8M in 5 years), Chorisia 10M in 6 yrs

More
13 years 3 months ago #366539 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Trees

Ruth;356948 wrote: Good guess! 51 years by ring count.

So now you've chopped it down and discovered its age, What do I get for my prize?[}:)]

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
13 years 3 months ago #366596 by hilldweller
Replied by hilldweller on topic Trees
Love my trees, wouldn't have bought the block without them. The kanuka look pretty and smell wonderful, especially with a bit of rain on them, and are fabulous shelter; there's a broadleaf several feet in diameter; an enormous pine that provides cones for the fire and shelter for a few newborn lambs each year; and the macros that are a feature of so many of the older farm properties around here just look as if they belong. :D

hilldweller

More
13 years 3 months ago #366598 by Ruth

Stikkibeek;357811 wrote: So now you've chopped it down and discovered its age, What do I get for my prize?[}:)]

A cuppa and a homemade biscuit when you come to collect your commemorative envelope of sawdust. :D

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds