Trees

More
13 years 3 months ago #26272 by Ruth
Trees was created by Ruth
What is the biggest or oldest tree on your block? And which is your favourite tree on your block? I thought it might be interesting to see how treed our places are.

This is one of the large, although it may not be the largest, Puriri. Age would presumably be 400+. Could be much more.

This is my favourite, being the biggest Northern Rata on the farm.

Attached files
File Attachment:
File Attachment:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #365406 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Trees
Oh I can't compete with that. I think my walnut may be the oldest as it has 1973 cut into the trunk. Where I beat you though Ruth, is you'd have to cut yours down to be sure of its age. [}:)] There is a very big variegated elm that may be the same age.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
13 years 3 months ago #365407 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Trees
No, I didn't want a competition, just thought it would be interesting to see what are the biggest and oldest on everyone's blocks. The point of my pictures is that here we're surrounded by mature "original" trees. In other places I know people move onto bare blocks, and in many parts of the country it is introduced species which predominate. I was hoping to avoid having to go anywhere to see such things. [;)]

More
13 years 3 months ago #365411 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic Trees
i love mature trees but live on a block that was completely stripped of all trees... there are about 6 trees that are probably 10 years old at the most but i often spend time looking at the neighbours towering pines and feeling a combination of sad for myself and angry at whoever did the chopping..

our favourite tree is a weeping willow that is about 4 metres tall. we moved it from our last place into the in laws swamp for two years then onto here. it survived without a hitch and is the only tree the kids (5 and 3) can climb, as it has suitable branches down low. it did something special to my heart the first time i saw my babies up a tree playing!!!

More
13 years 3 months ago #365414 by Telly
Replied by Telly on topic Trees
Our oldest trees are all pines too. Our cabbage trees - now about 10 years old - are growing quickly though and the home of nesting birds. My children's friends all love our place because we have the pine trees which are big enough to climb. Most of the friends live in new subdivisions so have no climbable trees. My favourite trees are the natives that I toiled over planting and have nurtured and are now actually growing on their own.

Goats: 4 boers + 4 kids (all does[:D]), 1 saanen + 2 kids, 1 toggenburg.
Chickens: Barred Rock, Light Sussex, Araucana, pekins
Pigs now in the freezer

More
13 years 3 months ago #365417 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic Trees
i love natives too, esp the massive mature ones. i feel so in awe when i am near them.

however, i do love huge ancient pines that are all spreading randomly and knarled etc. not the straight commercial types.

More
13 years 3 months ago #365419 by Stikkibeek
Trees that are impressive that I have seen, are of course Tane Mahuta and there is an enormous Bunya pine on Kawau Island that was planted by Sir George Grey. You wouldn't want to stand under it, cause it throws cones down unexpectedly and they are big enough to do serious damage. A single seed out of one of them is bigger than an almond.

For knarlly effects, I like the Moreton Bay figs that are about. There are some at Devonport. and a huge one at Pahi

My favourite native is the lancewood.

More
13 years 3 months ago #365420 by BillyTheTractor
Replied by BillyTheTractor on topic Trees
We have a huge oak tree ~ it was one of the main reasons for us buying the place. It's around 180 years old and is stunning. The circumference of the trunk is about 8m. We're very lucky to be surrounded by huge trees - this area was settled very early on - our neighbours have the biggest cedar of Lebanon - in their garden.

First pic shows the trunk, second shows where a huge branch just dropped off 2 summers ago.

Attached files
File Attachment:
[IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/356587=7199-Screen shot 2010-11-15 at 11.15.39 PM.jpg[/img]

Wee Farm

More
13 years 3 months ago #365434 by Ruth
That's a pretty impressive tree BTT!

Here's a Pine a little way along from the Rata above:

What age do you reckon it is?

Attached files
File Attachment:
File Attachment:
File Attachment:

More
13 years 3 months ago #365436 by Stikkibeek
At a guess and that's all it could be, somewhere between 40 and 60 years.

More
13 years 3 months ago #365456 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Trees
BTT, I hope that you know that oak is quite poisonous to most stock .... especially if they eat lots of leaves or acorns when they are hungry.
Unfortunately ..... we are in totara country, and have quite a number that would be 400 or older. Unfortunately .... all the good timber ones were taken out about 100 years ago, leaving us with only the firewood ones. Unfortunately .... I'm not going to live forever, or they would already be where trees on farms should be ..... in the firewood heap.

More
13 years 3 months ago #365462 by Ruth
We have an oak tree in our yards. It's the only shade, so there it stays. It's trimmed to just above cow nose height - by the tall cows.

More
13 years 3 months ago #365468 by Jan
Replied by Jan on topic Trees
We have a row of 80yr old Oak and Beech trees lining the driveway which were planted when the house was built. They look great, I love Oaks

Jan

More
13 years 3 months ago #365473 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Trees
Ladies, just a reminder that oaks are poisonous and probably kill more cattle each year than tutu does. If you keep your sheep, cattle, goats and horses where they cannot eat the leaves or acorns then your animals will be fine. Similarly with the rhododendrons, privet, tutu and cypress.

More
13 years 3 months ago #365475 by Ruth

Stikkibeek;356607 wrote: At a guess and that's all it could be, somewhere between 40 and 60 years.

Any more guesses? There could be a prize![;)]

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds