Carcase weight guessing-beef

• Sue
13 years 2 months ago #26056 by Sue
Carcase weight guessing-beef was created by Sue
Further to a thread which terralee mentioned her lambs were off to the works this week as the prices had taken an unexpected turn upwards.

I mentioned that I had also had a call re the beef schedule going up. For the unitiated the schedules for beef, and sheep are the going rates that the market will pay per kg alter week by week according to season, supply and the monetary exchange rate with the USA$. They vary between 'works', between islands and also across the different classes of stock, local trade, export, weight ranges, cow, bull or steer.

To take adavantage of this fluctuation it is nice to have animals ready to go when the schedule is high, but it doesn't always work that way as when you have stock ready to go-either because of the time of the year they were born, or impending shortages due to adverse weather and everyone wants to ditch stock, ready or not, the price drops.

Due to a number of circumstances this year (shortage of lambs due to bad weather at lambing) flush of grass due to rain in December, the meat schedules have been higher than expected-which is nice if you have stock ready to go.

So, with a price rise of 15c/kg carcase weight for local trade beef, between last week and this week the stock agent rang me to ask if I still wanted to send in the steers.

Factors to weigh up first, if they stay they will put on more weight as there is plenty of grass. If they stay the likelhood is that prices per kg will drop in another few weeks. If they stay a great deal of what weight they put on will be fat and thus they could be downgraded as overfat and get an even lower price.
Would the feed they eat be better being put on the backs of the younger stock?

These are all considerations that have to be made when
you are preparing stock for their final destination, which much as we may dislike the idea-is what they were bred for.

These two, Ernest and Elton were the last of 4 we had, all our other bull calves stayed as bulls.

Ernest started life rather compromised with contracted tendons, but even carried on to win a first prize in a steer calf competetition last January at 6 months of age.
These two were born 30 July and August 9th, they were weighed last April when they were weaned , at 327kgs and 368kgs.

pictured Dec 2009

Here they are as at 22 December 2010 age 17 months, what do you think their carcase weight was yesterday?
Longridge you have always said you didn't think MG's were big enough![;)]

Attached files
File Attachment:
[IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/354067=7013-Earnest 3 days Aug 2nd 2009 011.jpg[/img] [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/354067=7014-Jan 2010 020.jpg[/img] [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/354067=7015-steer 268.jpg[/img] [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/354067=7011-Steer 276 Elton Cotton On A162 Dec24 014.jpg[/img] [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/354067=7012-Steer Ernest 268 Rambler -U14 Dec24 013.jpg[/img]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #363131 by TKFARMER
I reckon they will will be about 500kg and nice animals to sue. tkf

Playing farmer on 3.5 acres. [:)][:)]

More
13 years 2 months ago #363134 by hilldweller
Low 300s on the left, high 300s on the right. Whatever they are, they're big boys for their age Sue and a credit to you.

hilldweller

More
13 years 2 months ago #363136 by Ziggy
Replied by Ziggy on topic Carcase weight guessing-beef
My guess around 600 for the one on the bottom right and around 500 for the one on the left :)

More
13 years 2 months ago #363138 by MooandPop
they were 300kg+ at weaning? thats huge!!!! What were you feeding them? I've got to get some.

More
13 years 2 months ago #363139 by MooandPop

MooandPop;354075 wrote: they were 300kg+ at weaning? thats huge!!!! What were you feeding them? I've got to get some.

What Breed?

More
13 years 2 months ago #363140 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Carcase weight guessing-beef
i dont know about carcass weights or how they work .. i would guess at live weight of round 650-850kg , as they look similar in size to clover :)
MooandPop .. :) you wanna try leading one of Sues 300plus kg calves arround that hasnt been weanned yet :) .. they are certainly big animals :)
They are Murray Greys mooandpop .. and they are big animals :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
13 years 2 months ago #363142 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Carcase weight guessing-beef
Obviously due to variation some are quoting live weight-which I don't know, and others quoting carcase weights!

Breed, pure bred Murray Greys-no dash of dairy anywhere! Mooand pop, they have had nothing but grass and were fed by their mothers from birth through to weaning at 8 months of age. They also got very little hay through the winter as they were at the run off with the heifers of the same age and just on maintenance rations.

They both graded P2 and one was 22 kgs heavier than the other. This meant one was in the 270 to 295.09 category and the other was in the 295.1 to 320.9kg category. Luckily the price per kg was the same for both weight ranges.

I'll put the weights up later, but most of you have got your "weight guage glasses" on pretty well!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
13 years 2 months ago #363155 by clarry
Replied by clarry on topic Carcase weight guessing-beef

Sue;354067 wrote: For the unitiated the schedules for beef, and sheep are the going rates that the market will pay per kg alter week by week according to season, supply and the monetary exchange rate with the USA$

IMHO the biggest thing that affects the schedule is the amount of feed available ~ if you got heaps of grass and don't need to destock the price will be high~ when everyone needs to quit some mouths due to lack of feed they usually worth alot less an sit in works freezer til exchange rate suits them.
So this is an interesting situation............for the sheeps maybe just a case of so many less of them these days?.....Blardy cows:rolleyes:

More
13 years 2 months ago #363169 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Carcase weight guessing-beef
One was 273kg carcase weight and the other 295.5kg, not sure which was which as they never refer to their eartags-but I felt that the lighter coloured, right hand side one-Elton, was the heavier. Not there was much difference.
So total 568.5kgs for the two and a return of $2175.54 +gst after deductions.

I guess we could have let them get a bit bigger and sell about July- August when the price is up-but then they start using feed that the upcoming weaners could have, so it's a catch 22 situation.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds