Red Shavers wanted

More
16 years 4 months ago #2604 by Joybells
Red Shavers wanted was created by Joybells
Does anyone know where I can get some Red Shaver hens from for laying. I have left messages on 3 poultry farms answerphones but no one has rang me back.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 4 months ago #74805 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Red Shavers wanted
Where have you tried, Palmy or the other way? Not many poultry farms in between.
If you fancy Hyline Browns, which are very similar, email me on my profile and I could give you some places to try!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
16 years 4 months ago #74827 by Joybells
Replied by Joybells on topic Red Shavers wanted
Have tried the ones over Hastings way. Not much around the other I dont think.

• maggies mum
16 years 4 months ago #74864 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Red Shavers wanted
Joybells, friends of mine have some. E-mail me through my profile and I'll forward their details to you. I think they are still away at the moment though. If they don't have any they may well know someone who does. The only thing that could well be a problem is that they are in Hamilton, but there is always the Pet Courier service!

More
16 years 4 months ago #74955 by Joybells
Thanks Maggies Mum, I feel Hamilton is a bit far for chooks to travel tho, will try a bit closer to home.

• maggies mum
16 years 4 months ago #74961 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Red Shavers wanted
Ok no problems, but I'm pretty sure they would be ok, Inger takes her birds all over the place.
Actually have you e-mailed Inger, she may know of someone.

More
16 years 4 months ago #74967 by Inger
Replied by Inger on topic Red Shavers wanted
Do you have any other hens at the moment? Or do you know of anyone with a clucky hen? I can send you fertile New Hampshire Red eggs. They are a really good egg laying breed and need more people breeding them to get them off the hard to find list.

Red Shavers are a commercial breed and Sue is the best person to get that information from. I can tell you that there are some fertile eggs available on Trade Me.
This address will take you to an enquiry form so that you can find out who breeds them; www.eggfarmers.org.nz/contact.asp

The Rare Breeds website has a Directory of breeders of tradional breeds if you are interested. :)

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

More
16 years 4 months ago #74968 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Red Shavers wanted
Joybells, email on the way to you with some info. re the 'opposition' layer (!) and some contact phone numbers closer to home!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
16 years 4 months ago #74973 by sundaysbest
Replied by sundaysbest on topic Red Shavers wanted
Hi guys, just thought I'd put my 2cents worth in... the New Hampshire Reds are my new favourite girls!! Laying like the clappers and gorgeous looking eggs too!

Sundays

More
16 years 4 months ago #76076 by Joybells
thanks everyone, got some Hylines from Keighleys in hastings.

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds