So long, and thanks for all the fish.

More
13 years 3 months ago #362479 by HarryPotter
Well....isn't it a funny world! I have been so busy with one thing and another that I have barely had time to "lurk" around these parts.

On returning this evening and reading that Isla is departing this site as is Jeffie I just want to say that I am deeply saddened.

I joined this forum a few years ago on the recommendation of a good friend of mine and the advice and help that I have received over this time has been amazing. This help and guidance is all that more pertinent because it stems from others who have actually experienced and overcome the same hurdles.

This help and guidance has been given freely without expectation of remuneration or return of favour; a very rare thing these days.

The other wonderful thing that has happened as a result of this site is that I have actually made friends and acquaintances with people in the "flesh", not just limiting my relationship to one of cyber friend. I am truely a richer person for that.

Only once have I taken exception to a post that was made on this forum and it spawned a bit of a spat between several members. The topic had nothing to do with LSB or farming at all. I felt I had to stand up and say "Hey buddy, you are entitled to your opinion but......"

It was you Isla that sent me a wonderful private message of support and guidance that went beyond the call. It meant so very much and I am pretty darn sure that this site has been the portal for tonnes of correspondence like it. That should be a celebrated thing.

Our differences are what make us human and that should be celebrated as well (no matter how pissed off we are at the time.)[;)]

Sharing the pad with Harry the Australian Terrorist, Penny the Bearded Collie, Bev the Schnauzer/beardie and her daughters Nellie and Charlotte. (Dad was a Hungarian Vizsla) + lots of chooks. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #362486 by Stu_R
well said HP :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
13 years 3 months ago #362497 by Dream Weaver
Yes well said HP. Ive been here a few years now to. I do have to admit that I lurk now more than I post and the reason is I to have had my run ins OR watched and wittnessed a few (pardon the expression but) "Bitch Fights on the forrum.
I have had a wealth of help on here over the years and for that I am grateful. I am also grateful to have met some wonderful friends personally. some for similar reasons now no longer are a part of the forrum which is sad. I am grateful for meeting and becoming firm friends with someone like Bev, if it wasnt for her, I would not have my most famous and bestest "Henry". or all but 1 of the herd I now have.
Im not going to go on about particular things just want to say that it is dam sad when some of us feel we have to leave, or stay away for a long period of time. Like i said I lurk more now and more often than not when I do come back I read through the differents threads and you can more often than not find a thread thats getting hotter and hotter. When I find these ones I stay away for some more time.
We are all different and I guess thats why things like this happen. I do believe to as happens with us humans being of different personalities a few tend to like stirring or carrying on instead of leaving things. Therefore thats when tempers tend to fray and topics get locked.
I dont know the answer at all, but like alot here Isla you will be sorely missed. You are a wealth of infomation and its a shame you feel the need to go as newbies to come wont have that priviledge of your advice and knowledge. I hope you reconsider.
2010 was for me an absolute CRAP year. One I am in no hurry to ever have again like that was. so I decided this year my goal is for inner peace or just less stress and more peace of mind SO I am trying (not eady) to train myself to steer away from anything that stresses me or things i know will make me angry. I hope I achieve the goal as its dam hard, BUT I am choosing to do/say/listen etc to what I want. Im de cluttering my life bit by bit in the hope this new year is alot better than the last and that indeed life may be better.
anyway I am dribbling on now like some one who should probably be in a home for the bewilderd but what i am trying to say is even though I dont come here often, its nice to know that when I DO, there is always some REAL friendship support and good advice. But like everything I come in moderation now
:):)

I do believe I try to call a spade a spade, always have, and if people dont like what I have to say, then it is their choice BUT I do have abit of backbone and will stand up for things i truly believe in and always will, but when I see posts going in the wrong direction ill bugger off now and not read more till I am that angry I have to put my moneys worth in. I personally like people to be straight up. Straight up but willing to admit when they may be wrong is good, but there are some who will never admit they may be wrong. Im tierd and not making sense now lol but those who know me will know where I stand and am coming from.
Spoook, you also made some good comments. and hey we ARE family, and lets face it families ARE DYSFUNCTIONAL!!!!! so guess we are normal roflmao

More
13 years 3 months ago #362621 by kaybe
I haven't signed in for 2 days and I missed when Isla/Ruth started this thread, so I may be way too late, but I too would like to say "Isla please don't go!". I feel partly responsible for being at the beginning of this chain of events, and if you don't stay on I will feel guilty forever ("Great, now I have guilt" - thanks to Pixar's Toy Story). Let's face it, you are far more valuable to this site than I am! Everyone will really miss your wealth of knowledge and sweet voice of reason. Please reconsider.

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
13 years 3 months ago #362691 by PeterNZ
My 2cents:

As some of you know I have been there. I left the forum and stayed away for quite some time. But I missed it. A lot. So I regretted that I closed the doors behind me and destroyed the bridges etc. So Isla not sure if you still read here but my suggestion: Take a break! Don't close the door too fast. Keep it open. So that you can come back later. Because hey, I know you, you will miss these mad people here even more than I did.

One other thing. I have been a moderator for many years in an online forum. Nothing to do with farming, it was a German forum about New Zealand. But a very similar close knit community to this one here. We moderators were often tempted to take influence by locking or deleting posts. I was the one who was most of the time against it. The way I see the role of a moderator is to jump in if it gets personal or if it violates good taste/ethics/races/and legal matters. That's it. In all other cases a moderator should be the one who keeps a clear head and tries to turn the heat down so to speak but without stepping on people's toes. I think (and again, this is my opinion) that here in this forum, moderators often go way beyond this. And this includes the owner of this forum, sorry Kate. You can't keep an online forum nice and cosy and all with blue skies, fluffy lambs on the paddocks with flowers and butterflies. But I often get the impression that this is what some of the moderators want to achieve here. And the result is that the price the community pays for all the butterflies and fluffy lamb scenery is to lose valuable members. This is how I felt when I left. Not that I see me as a too valuable member ;)

Locking Isla's last post " Right of Reply " was in my opinion not necessary. It didn't attack anyone personally, wasn't aggressive, didn't violate any forum rules or ethical principles etc. Only because there was a potential to get out of hand? Then you need to lock a lot more posts on here. That's what I meant above. In my opinion way over the top.

As I said, just my 2 ct

Cheers

Peter

Everything you need to make your own cheese at home
www.CottageCrafts.co.nz
[:D]LSB Members will get first order (over $10) shipping cost free. Just mention your LSB user name! [:D]

My private blog (Caution! Contains opinions and thoughts which may offend some viewers.)

Change the World! One Meal...

More
13 years 3 months ago #362699 by max2

PeterNZ;353583 wrote: My 2cents:

As some of you know I have been there. I left the forum and stayed away for quite some time. But I missed it. A lot. So I regretted that I closed the doors behind me and destroyed the bridges etc. So Isla not sure if you still read here but my suggestion: Take a break! Don't close the door too fast. Keep it open. So that you can come back later. Because hey, I know you, you will miss these mad people here even more than I did.

One other thing. I have been a moderator for many years in an online forum. Nothing to do with farming, it was a German forum about New Zealand. But a very similar close knit community to this one here. We moderators were often tempted to take influence by locking or deleting posts. I was the one who was most of the time against it. The way I see the role of a moderator is to jump in if it gets personal or if it violates good taste/ethics/races/and legal matters. That's it. In all other cases a moderator should be the one who keeps a clear head and tries to turn the heat down so to speak but without stepping on people's toes. I think (and again, this is my opinion) that here in this forum, moderators often go way beyond this. And this includes the owner of this forum, sorry Kate. You can't keep an online forum nice and cosy and all with blue skies, fluffy lambs on the paddocks with flowers and butterflies. But I often get the impression that this is what some of the moderators want to achieve here. And the result is that the price the community pays for all the butterflies and fluffy lamb scenery is to lose valuable members. This is how I felt when I left. Not that I see me as a too valuable member ;)

Locking Isla's last post " Right of Reply " was in my opinion not necessary. It didn't attack anyone personally, wasn't aggressive, didn't violate any forum rules or ethical principles etc. Only because there was a potential to get out of hand? Then you need to lock a lot more posts on here. That's what I meant above. In my opinion way over the top.

As I said, just my 2 ct

Cheers

Peter

Excellent post PeterNZ!

More
13 years 3 months ago #362744 by betenoir
Isla, maybe a break is what you need so you have time to reflect on just how much you have contributed to this forum over the years...then hurry up and come back :) . I think sometimes your posts can be misinterpreted as you are usually pretty straight up and put your point across in a straightforward way. Nothing wrong with that, but if people don't 'know' your posting style they could take things personally. Advice #101 for anyone offended or upset by a post...before replying look back at the posters previous responses/posts..sometimes the written word and its intentions are easily misconstrued.
And please don't let 'Moose' (the naked saddle hanger) back...or at least not without a warning to not zoom in on his photos :p

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] BAAAAAAAAA

More
13 years 3 months ago #362750 by judes

PeterNZ;353583 wrote: My 2cents:

As I said, just my 2 ct

Cheers

Peter

Well said

Jude
Don't get your knickers in a knot; it solves nothing and makes you walk funny.

More
13 years 3 months ago #362753 by max2

betenoir;353642 wrote: Isla, maybe a break is what you need so you have time to reflect on just how much you have contributed to this forum over the years...then hurry up and come back :) . I think sometimes your posts can be misinterpreted as you are usually pretty straight up and put your point across in a straightforward way. Nothing wrong with that, but if people don't 'know' your posting style they could take things personally. Advice #101 for anyone offended or upset by a post...before replying look back at the posters previous responses/posts..sometimes the written word and its intentions are easily misconstrued.
And please don't let 'Moose' (the naked saddle hanger) back...or at least not without a warning to not zoom in on his photos :p

betenoir, and there was i thinking no one else remembered, and you even know the name..... must have been memorable to you then!

More
13 years 3 months ago #362763 by DiDi
When was Moose on here and where was I? I have no recollection of that incident at all - thankfully it seems. :( or :D

More
13 years 3 months ago #362771 by Isla
Firstly my apologies to those who have read and/or contributed to this thread. I did something I've disliked seeing others doing, and while I hadn't meant it to come across in quite that way, the context and timing meant that of course it did.

My going away is not specifically to do with anyone, or any post. I need to take a break and the things which happened recently simply pushed me harder and faster in that direction than I was consciously aware, until I suddenly thought, right, that's it.

Thank you to those who have written so kindly. I am not a chatty forum member; I don't do small talk in person either, I have never possessed that social skill. But I always enjoy sharing the things I've learnt and I've learnt all sorts of things in here myself. It's nice to know a few people have dared to dip into the link on my signature!

There is one thing which keeps returning to me as the primary nasty niggle when I think about the last few weeks, and might well apply to several of us. Some of us write carefully and well. Whether that is because we were lucky in intellect or education, or have a talent we've developed, I for one am frankly tired of being criticised for being condescending, patronising, or talking down to or at people who have asked for advice or posted their news on this board. No post of mine is ever intended to be any of those things - unless I really do intend it to be, and then you'll probably notice. I take care with language in an attempt to be as clear as possible. I think it respectful to others to take that care. When I fail, I generally try to fix it.

And on a discussion board I've never thought there is anywhere that any question may not be asked. So if your hand got burnt, I will ask you what you were doing leaning on the hot stove. If you ask me a pointed question, I'll take it as an opportunity for reflection and attempt to give you an honest answer.

Since going away from here the other night, it has occurred to me again how sad I am that Isla is dead (my lovely, real, pedigreed darling cow) and that the time has come to lay her name to rest in this place too.

I may well be back. If so I will belong under another name, one you will recognise.

More
13 years 3 months ago #363423 by betenoir
Isla,
I read your article on Islas passing in the magazine. Perhaps if those that have misunderstood you read it they might get a better idea of your personality/posting style. It wasn't 'flowery' or over the top in terms of sentiment/slush etc , but to the point and factual, but still conveyed your love and respect for Isla.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] BAAAAAAAAA

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds