HELP: insect repellant!

More
13 years 3 months ago #361874 by Hasbeen
Replied by Hasbeen on topic HELP: insect repellant!
I eat the Marmite every morning as soon as winter porridge time is over.
If I am still being bitten, I drink Marmite in a cup like soup for a couple of days.

If I get bitten I put Marmite on the itchy bite --- looks yuck, but gets rid of the itch.

Recovering Lifestyler

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #361875 by 3scoremiles10
Best thing I've found for insect bites is to wash them as soon as possible with Sunlight soap. I get the bite wet with warm/hot water, rub the soap on, then rinse with cold water. Makes the bite stop itching for several hours. I discovered this by accident last summer after trying just about every anti-itch cream known to man.

Good luck!

More
13 years 3 months ago #361895 by cowvet
Replied by cowvet on topic HELP: insect repellant!
I have had success with the marmite technique...orally not topically ;-)

To speed things up[ a bit you could talk to a pharmacist about a high B vit tablet that is safe for kids and give that a go.

i have also tried the essentail oil remedies but don't know how they would stand up to a high challenge...eucalyptus, lavender,pine, manuka, tea tree and lemongrass are all said to be insect repellent. i would be careful on sensitive skin and be careful about not getting it near eyes.

I love animals...they're delicious

More
13 years 3 months ago #361911 by 4trees
Replied by 4trees on topic HELP: insect repellant!
Hi, there is a very reasonably priced safe natural product called Pinetarsol and can be purchased at the Chemist. A little of this can be mixed in a small container and dabbed on the bites, it can be used in a bath and it helps keep the itch down, (also very good for Chicken Pox spots etc) I also got the kids to dab it on their naked spots when they were going outside. Smells a little pinie but we even used it to bath our dog that had grass allergies, or fleas. Cheers and good luck.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

More
13 years 3 months ago #361916 by pisa
Replied by pisa on topic HELP: insect repellant!
thanks all,
lots of interesting suggestions here to deal with bites, I think we will work our way through them all. Most of the ingredients are in the house!
And hopefully a B1 rich diet and supplement will make her a bit less tasty.
Mind you, it'll be interesting to see who they go for then. [B)]

1 hubby, 2 kids, 1 cat, 1 dog, 2 swallows and I've lost count how many offsprings with even more grandkids, 5 bunny girls, 5 bunny boys, 12 chickens (rooster, pullets, chicks and more about to hatch hopefully) and 4 goats with two of them expecting any day! (24.10.14)
But who's counting [;)]...

More
13 years 3 months ago #361943 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic HELP: insect repellant!
Our son is the one in the family who all bugs like to eat. Fleas and mosquitoes especially - he'd be covered in welts! We got him some Thompsons B1 and he's been taking it religiously for 2 weeks now, and hardly any bug bites these days.

More
13 years 3 months ago #361958 by blimeyvicki
Replied by blimeyvicki on topic HELP: insect repellant!
I have always found anthisan fantastic for easing the itch, also a t tree based cream and these days I am using a Kawakawa gel that is also very good. My son was always the one who had the worst reaction, large welts that itched for days despite what we put on them. He seems to have grown out of that reaction a wee bit now though. He is
Still only 7. I think some years mossie bites are worse than others. Wonder if you are experiencing a different variety of mosses this year? Mutant mossies?

More
13 years 3 months ago #361959 by The Kats Place
I've been using, for myself and the english grandchildren, (mozzies loved thier fresh blood) and Avon bug repelent that also has a sun screen in it, about $12 from memory and we foound it very effective.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
13 years 3 months ago #361970 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic HELP: insect repellant!

cowvet;352726 wrote: .......
i have also tried the essentail oil remedies but don't know how they would stand up to a high challenge...eucalyptus, lavender,pine, manuka, tea tree and lemongrass are all said to be insect repellent. i would be careful on sensitive skin and be careful about not getting it near eyes.

Added caution regarding lemon grass oil is that it increases sensitivity to sunlight/UV so probably not a good idea in high summer.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
13 years 3 months ago #361971 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic HELP: insect repellant!
Yep I have always found that antisan is the only topical antihistamine that actually works. If the kids get really itchy I give claratyne oral (last resort, but worth it) I keep teldane fast for the adults. Mozzies have always loved me and I have tried many many remedies to treat.

A handly herbal remedy is plaintain, just scrunch up a leaf or two and rub the juice onto the bites, the sooner you apply the better. It takes a few minutes to work. An ice cube helps keep the itch down while the plaintain neutralises the mozzies saliva.

I also got some Avon skin so soft this year, and have found it works (stops them biting you). I got the one without the bug repellent but it still stinks (highly scented) and contains lots of chems.

A small spray bottle with water, some citronella, lavender, rosemary tea tree and ecuc oils works somewhat to keep them away also but needs reapplying often.

It might be worth while looking for the breeding grounds of the mozzies, any standing water will have the little blighters growing in it. So guttering, and drums around the house. up to 40 feet radius from the play/home area.

I got a Raid outdoor can dispenser this year as I knew we where going somewhere with lots of biting bugs, worked a treat for those sitting closest to it (ie me :p )

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
13 years 3 months ago #361973 by pisa
Replied by pisa on topic HELP: insect repellant!
cheers Xartep,
we have been wondering about the water, but it's just the animals drinking water, which gets renewed every day. We think it must just be an unlucky combination of increased livestock ( more drinking water containers) and a good season for critters.

Just ordered the vitamin supplement and some 100% citronella oil, to make my own insect repellent. Hopefully that'll do the trick.
She's been munching on her sunflower seed, flaxseed and oats mix, and I just made a porridge smoothie, so hopefully in a little while she'll be less tasty![;)]

1 hubby, 2 kids, 1 cat, 1 dog, 2 swallows and I've lost count how many offsprings with even more grandkids, 5 bunny girls, 5 bunny boys, 12 chickens (rooster, pullets, chicks and more about to hatch hopefully) and 4 goats with two of them expecting any day! (24.10.14)
But who's counting [;)]...

More
13 years 3 months ago #361976 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic HELP: insect repellant!
When we moved here we had heaps of biting inscects. We also had lots of large trees overshadowing the house and creating nice dark damp places. A quick outing with the chainsaw and we cleared that lot away and dried it up. We still have trees but we also have good airflow around them. And many less nasty bugs.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
13 years 3 months ago #361984 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic HELP: insect repellant!
My dad loved fishing and he and Mum swore by rubbing mint on arms and legs as a deterrent. We've also tried it and it works. And looks better than marmite!!

More
13 years 3 months ago #362004 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic HELP: insect repellant!

jeannielea;352821 wrote: My dad loved fishing and he and Mum swore by rubbing mint on arms and legs as a deterrent. We've also tried it and it works. And looks better than marmite!!

But does it repel fish if you get it on the bait [;)]

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
13 years 3 months ago #362019 by Panda
Replied by Panda on topic HELP: insect repellant!
Hi

You've obviously had a good response to your post, along with a lot of different advice. So, here's my 2 cents worth - the mozzies love me too and I get eaten alive at this time of year. Over the years I have tried everything to little or no effect. Unfortunately, products containing Deet seem to be the only thing that works for me. But after a couple days use I get a terrible rash on my body where I've sprayed. The rash is horrible, but I have to say...the rash is more welcome than the itchy bites!

I'm still searching for an alternative! Good luck with your quest too.

[;)]

Murphy the dog. 4 chooks: Mocha, Otis, Betty and Suzi.

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds