Adding LSB to Facebook?

More
13 years 3 months ago #361225 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Adding LSB to Facebook?

Hawkspur;351987 wrote: I do have a Facebook account, but I use it very carefully. I am not ignorant of its uses, but I am also aware of its many faults.

Reasons for Facebook:
exposure to people who use Facebook as their main interaction with the internet.

Reasons against:
No control of a very limited format
A history of changes to settings that are in the interest of Facebook and not the users
No control of the use of information, including difficulties with removing information
Extremely dodgy ethics
etc...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Facebook
www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/05/facebook-rogue/
sickfacebook.com/top-10-reason-everyone-...ir-facebook-account/

I see no reason for LSB to go down the Facebook path. I really don't see any significant benefit to LSB and there are some people who will choose to avoid links with a site that has such a track record.

Interesting and informative summation of Facebook which I fully agree with. We have FB profiles primarily as advertising vehicles for our online business, otherwise I wouldn't go near FB. In addition I see it as more than coincidental that the email address that I use for our FB activity is increasingly targeted by Nigerian scam emailers, and that's despite my constant refusal to allow FB access to email address book details as they continually request :(

The unguarded private conversations and comments by/of all those on your 'Friends' list that FB make you privy to doesn't feel right, particularly with the oblivoiusness of many younger FB members to the entirely public nature of their postings and frequently their lack of appropriate privacy settings [:I]

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #361230 by Jeffie
Replied by Jeffie on topic Adding LSB to Facebook?

swaggie;351980 wrote:
As far as FB goes as to whether you need to use it for your own ''personal'' forum to chat with your near and dear, I am not convinced its a ''must have'', and I certainly don't intend to let E have a profile having yesterday read the wall of one of her school friends who was voted ugly by a little scroat in their year at school. Just another form of pressure on kids who should be better occupied outdoors.

Swaggie I did not say it is a 'must have' it was just an idea that I've put out there. If you use FB carefully and with proper security in place there is no harm in it.

Yezzz people, don't get to wound up about things it was really just a idea!

More
13 years 3 months ago #361234 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Adding LSB to Facebook?
Hi Jeffie - since you asked for people's thoughts ... No from me as well :-)
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
13 years 3 months ago #361236 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Adding LSB to Facebook?
And no from me too I hava thing on there but very rearly go there rather go to sites that are my interest and I have an idea how real they are

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
13 years 3 months ago #361241 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Adding LSB to Facebook?

Jeffie;351977 wrote:

Kate;351971 wrote: We do actually have a facebook account.../QUOTE]

What is the address kate?

I'd rather not say as there is nothing on it...[:I] That is one of the problems with getting an fb page. I'd have to keep it up to date and make sure it looks professional and answer questions and comments...I have enough problems with the forums and my vast number of emails...[B)][B)]

PeterNZ;351981 wrote: Kate, why don't you make this a survey?

Cheers

Peter

Good idea - done [8D]

Web Goddess

More
13 years 3 months ago #361242 by Jeffie
Kate, good luck with the 'youtube' thing.....

I for one won't be going on there to watch video's etc - we stay well away from youtube as it is widely known that it is a sestpit for virusses, hackers etc but I will not stop anyone else going on there.

Each to their own I say.

Going fishing, see ya!

More
13 years 3 months ago #361247 by PeterNZ
Replied by PeterNZ on topic Adding LSB to Facebook?

Jeffie;352012 wrote: Kate, good luck with the 'youtube' thing.....

I for one won't be going on there to watch video's etc - we stay well away from youtube as it is widely known that it is a sestpit for virusses, hackers etc but I will not stop anyone else going on there.

Each to their own I say.

Going fishing, see ya!

Sorry, me as an IT professional with years (decades even [:I]) of computer experience would say that the risk of posting here on this forum is by far greater than watching a video on youtube. I don't know where you get this information from but if it is based on hearsay then I suggest to do some proper research. Youtube videos are flash format and are regarded quite safe. It is a simple web page with videos on it. Nothing more. If you say youtube is full of viruses and hackers then I suggest to stay away from any web page! From a technical point of view your statement does not have any basis. I wonder where it is "widely known". Certainly not under IT professionals and Computer Experts.

The same is valid for online credit card payments and facebook/twitter. Used with your brain in "On" mode they are low risk. All the things people say about facebook were said about google as well. And now? Everybody uses it.

Cheers

Peter

Everything you need to make your own cheese at home
www.CottageCrafts.co.nz
[:D]LSB Members will get first order (over $10) shipping cost free. Just mention your LSB user name! [:D]

My private blog (Caution! Contains opinions and thoughts which may offend some viewers.)

Change the World! One Meal...

More
13 years 3 months ago #361253 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Adding LSB to Facebook?

Jeffie;351999 wrote: Swaggie I did not say it is a 'must have' it was just an idea that I've put out there. If you use FB carefully and with proper security in place there is no harm in it.

Yezzz people, don't get to wound up about things it was really just a idea!

Wasn't solely aimed at your post Jeffie, more as a response of ''why'' E doesn't have a FB profile from school ''friends'' and the overall thrust of media/society commentary to make us believe we are failing (or at least not doing as well as we could) if we don't have a FB profile.

" Lets face more and more people and organisations use FB and you might get more members joining LSB. ""

OT - I do get wound up when I see posts such as the one I mentioned on a developing girl's FB wall, that sort of thing isn't needed and I wish parents would keep a better eye on what is happening on their children's FB wall if they are allowed to have one, because if it had been E's, then the SOH would have been down at the parents house like a shot. As it is, I intend to have words with the Mother next time I see her and its substantiated for me that people under 18 shouldn't have access to that sort of facility without parential approval before their posts are put up for public display (and perhaps redicule by other children).

More
13 years 3 months ago #361258 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Adding LSB to Facebook?
I with you on this swaggie our children are grown up now but if they were young I would be like you wish more parents cared as much good on you

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
13 years 3 months ago #361267 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Adding LSB to Facebook?
I just voted ...No[:0]
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
13 years 3 months ago #361274 by PeterNZ
Replied by PeterNZ on topic Adding LSB to Facebook?
I think the question can be a bit confusing! I am sure that Kate doesn't want to close this forum here and move it onto facebook. But some people might think this. I voted "Yes" because facebook has way more functionality a community can use than a simple forum. As an extension of this community I voted "Yes". But if it would replace this forum here I would vote a big NO.

Cheers

Peter

Everything you need to make your own cheese at home
www.CottageCrafts.co.nz
[:D]LSB Members will get first order (over $10) shipping cost free. Just mention your LSB user name! [:D]

My private blog (Caution! Contains opinions and thoughts which may offend some viewers.)

Change the World! One Meal...

More
13 years 3 months ago #361275 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Adding LSB to Facebook?
never thought for one second Kate wanted to close this site :)
And i voted NO cause i dont like. trust, respect or even wanna go on Face Book
The pole ( which was your idea Peter) will show what majority think

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
13 years 3 months ago #361277 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Adding LSB to Facebook?
I'm about to vote NO as well as I can't see the point of adding to what is already a very informative site attracting people with a genuine desire to learn about LSB farming. I have a FB page that I rarely use but I hate the way it is always suggesting friends to me who are random friends of someone else I do know.

Or am I getting the wrong idea about what is intended? Just links to videos? Surely if people want to know how to build a fence watching a video - there will already be plenty on FB and at someone else's cost to produce?

More
13 years 3 months ago #361279 by PalmyCol
Replied by PalmyCol on topic Adding LSB to Facebook?
Yeah the last thing I need is another place to check, you mega posting peoples would be throwing posts out far and wide then :D
I've also got a facebook page but everyone "suggesting" I join whatever group etc..etc..etc... geez Louise. And yep just like DiDi said, random people you have never heard of wanting to be friends, who turn out to be friends of friends of friends, makes you feel like a bit of a prick if you don't add them. Like someone coming up to you and saying " can we be friends" and you saying "piss off" seems rude. That's probably how FB got up to it's 500 million users aye :rolleyes:

More
13 years 3 months ago #361285 by Jeffie
People people.......honestly you don't read properly or listen properly. One gets an idea about something which by the way is the wrong end of the stick and then you have a herd of anxious people rushing all over the place getting all worked up.

Firstly, Peter thanks for clearing things up in the 'you tube' department :) My knowledge is based on reading and listening to the news and speaking to friends who is in the IT profession. Still even after your blurb and view on youtube I still won't use it and I have proper antivirus software etc on my computer. I try and be very careful when I am surfing the net and use my 'brain' in on mode as much as I can. I am very wary of visiting you tube and will continue to do so which is my right as a internet user. I certainly won't slam someone else who chooses to use it.

Swaggie, when I said the people should not get wound up I did not refer to your child and the whole school thing. Sure that would be upsetting. I'm talking about this whole thread.

I did not suggest Kate move LSB to FB, I am not that stupid. I was merely a suggesting that there might be a hand ful of people on LSB that currently use FB, like myself, who would want to join a LSB on FB and want to chat via FB. It does not take away anything from here - god forbid. Now we are talking chat and posting photo's not starting forums and threads.....

It is very much a personal choice to use FB or not and if you not that way inclined then great, if you are then great. Why do we want to tell others how to do things and how to go about doing things.

I use FB as a communication tool and if I get a friends request from someone I do not know then I press the 'no thanks' button and it is all sorted....... Personally I don't see what this huge upset is about, sounds to me it is because of some people that does not know how to use FB or have no desire to do so which is fair enough. Oops have I just opened another bee's nest.[:0]

It is like my OH insisting on using cheque books and do all his banking manually where I only use internet banking. Why because I see no harm in it and I'm careful, his reasoning is because well he is old school and he's spoken to people that is of the opinion that all your money will be stolen yada yada yada. I leave him to it and he leaves me to my banking ways. simple.

Did this message clear my 'intentions' up??

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds