Dissappointing Chicks

More
13 years 3 months ago #25892 by Jessica2710
Just wanted to share my sad news and see if there was anything I could have done differently so I can prevent this sort of thing happening in future.

I bought in a couple of chicks (around 1 week old) for my Orpington Hen which has sat on eggs for 21 days with no luck so she was ready to be a mum.

I put the chicks under her at night time so she thought they had 'hatched' overnight.

She seemed really pleased with herself the next day and found a new spot to place herself and keep them warm.

She was doing her mother clucking thing and keeping them close and pulling them in when they tweeted.

Things went well the second night aswell and the next day.

But this morning when I went out to check on them it they were both dead :(
It looks like she might have squashed them (hopefully by accident)

This hasn't happened with any of my other chick/hen combinations, so hoping to get some advice to prevent it next time.

Is there a rule about the size of chick to hen breed ratio?

BTW - she is a first time mum.

Jessica

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #361159 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Dissappointing Chicks
Hi Jessica,

that's very sad indeed. She could have had a fright - who knows - a cat walking past can make that happen.

Are you sure the chicks had food and water? That they could access? Some hens don't show their chicks how to get the food and drink. Did the wee ones feel heavy or light?

Some chicks (maybe 1 in 20) fail to thrive and there is nothing you can do. Were they chirpy and eating? Or sad looking and not interested in what's going on?

More
13 years 3 months ago #361186 by Jeffie
Replied by Jeffie on topic Dissappointing Chicks
Hi Jessica,

Sorry to hear about this experience you had. I have once had a Light Sussex hatch out 9 chicks and squashed 5 over a period of a few weeks. She raised the remaining four excellent.

Your hen was a first time mum and these things do happen. Give her a big hug as it is practice and learning for us all. It is however a bit strange I thought that you lost both but like Simkin says she could have had a fright or she was so infactuated with them that she did not show them how to eat or drink. Good luck next time

More
13 years 3 months ago #361513 by Inger
Replied by Inger on topic Dissappointing Chicks
That's one of the reasons that I hand rear my chicks. Hens are all different and newbys in the mothering area can result in very different outcomes. Some hens are brilliant and some are hopeless mums. I don't want them to learn by heavy losses, when I'm breeding replacement and Show stock.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds