Rain (again) - needed!

More
16 years 4 months ago #74936 by Isla
Replied by Isla on topic Rain (again) - needed!
Well I went out dressed in a woolly hat, over which I was wearing a towel, a woolen jersey over the top to hold it all together, then a Swanndri jerkin, covered by a cotton shirt with a convenient pocket to carry a jar of water and inseminated a heifer in the pouring rain! Both of us (The Staff was in role) got soaked, but at least I didn't have drips down my neck while I was doing the deed. :) It sounded like it was easing a little while ago, but now I'm due to go out for the last heat check, it's persisting down again. Perhaps I'll sit here a little longer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 4 months ago #74943 by Inger
Replied by Inger on topic Rain (again) - needed!
How many mm so far Isla? Our drizzle started around 3:30pm and the rain arrived at about 7:30. We've had 17mm of rain so far. Its nice and gentle rain, so it should soak in without causing problems. I'd like a bit more though.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

More
16 years 4 months ago #74952 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic Rain (again) - needed!
Not fair, we got 0.75mm.... barely worth collecting....

More
16 years 4 months ago #74953 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Rain (again) - needed!
We didn't get much either, and it's not looking as if we'll get any more :(

Web Goddess

More
16 years 4 months ago #74954 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Rain (again) - needed!
Same [V]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
16 years 4 months ago #74957 by Isla
30+mm up here. (A small person tells me it's between the 30 and the 40.) Nice rain, gently soaking in. :)

More
16 years 4 months ago #74958 by Inger
Replied by Inger on topic Rain (again) - needed!
We got 41mm overnight. :) Its loverly :) Still gently drizzling too.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

More
16 years 4 months ago #74969 by Auchenflower
Replied by Auchenflower on topic Rain (again) - needed!
So far only 1mm this year - not a good start:( Luckily hubby set up a system for collecting the water from the washing machine into a big tank on wheels which I can disperse to the driest spots - I love having a handy hubby:D I agree Tigger town supply people should be metered - we were before we moved to ou LSB and it definitely makes you think twice when the rates arrives and you find out how much water you actually use - although I don't understand how people use the supposed national average - we were never anywhere close and we are a family of five!! Makes you think how wasteful some people must be[}:)]

More
16 years 4 months ago #74970 by Birman Babe
Replied by Birman Babe on topic Rain (again) - needed!
Geez, looks like Waikato/BOP missed all that rain....damn & blast !!!

More
16 years 4 months ago #74972 by hilldweller
Replied by hilldweller on topic Rain (again) - needed!

quote:Originally posted by Isla

Well I went out dressed in a woolly hat, over which I was wearing a towel, a woolen jersey over the top to hold it all together, then a Swanndri jerkin, covered by a cotton shirt with a convenient pocket to carry a jar of water and inseminated a heifer in the pouring rain! Both of us (The Staff was in role) got soaked, but at least I didn't have drips down my neck while I was doing the deed. :) It sounded like it was easing a little while ago, but now I'm due to go out for the last heat check, it's persisting down again. Perhaps I'll sit here a little longer.

Would a raincoat not have been a better option?

hilldweller

More
16 years 4 months ago #74987 by Isla

quote:Originally posted by hilldweller

Would a raincoat not have been a better option?

I don't own one! :D It's too hot up here to wear one when walking around in the rain, so I use an umbrella or, in winter, a Swanndri, because that doesn't get as hot and keeps me dry enough. I couldn't really wear a rain coat when inseminating because I need a clear arm for the glove and I find I get the inseminator all caught up in buttons and pockets if I'm wearing any more than a t-shirt. [:I]

Oh, and other things below, of course.[:I]

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds