Ticks

More
13 years 4 months ago #358123 by pisa
Replied by pisa on topic Ticks
thanks Peter,
I will bear that in mind when we get the goats.
So far , touch wood, I haven't seen any on our dog and cat, but will ask the neighbouring dairy farmers if they have any issues.

1 hubby, 2 kids, 1 cat, 1 dog, 2 swallows and I've lost count how many offsprings with even more grandkids, 5 bunny girls, 5 bunny boys, 12 chickens (rooster, pullets, chicks and more about to hatch hopefully) and 4 goats with two of them expecting any day! (24.10.14)
But who's counting [;)]...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 months ago #358149 by Isla
Replied by Isla on topic Ticks
Here's one, friendly little mouth-parts all happily intact, along with a bit of cow.

:D

Attached files
File Attachment:
File Attachment:

More
13 years 4 months ago #359218 by Lighthill
Replied by Lighthill on topic Ticks
Just for interest -

Last night I found a small tick-shaped beetle-type thingy in my dog's fur, not attached to anything and quite dead. Since I was calling in to the vets anyway, I took it with me and was told:

A) It definately wasn't a tick (good, as I don't think they're in Wellington)
B) In Australia people put salt onto ticks to remove them
C) Lots of seagulls in NZ have been found with ticks on them. I wonder if that's one way they spread from area to area?

More
13 years 4 months ago #359229 by Isla
Replied by Isla on topic Ticks
I read a bit about ticks when we were discussing this the other day and noted that there is only one species of mammalian tick in NZ, but a few which feed on birds. Thus I imagine seagulls are not involved in spreading cattle ticks around.

More
13 years 4 months ago #359262 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Ticks
Lighthill, there certainly are ticks in the Wellington region. We are only 90kms north and our cows can tell you they are here! We plan to put Bayticol on them all very soon!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
13 years 4 months ago #359280 by Lighthill
Replied by Lighthill on topic Ticks

Sue;349860 wrote: Lighthill, there certainly are ticks in the Wellington region. We are only 90kms north and our cows can tell you they are here! We plan to put Bayticol on them all very soon!

Yes, I was aware they are in the Horowhenua area. By 'Wellington' I was meaning Wellington city and the area immediately around it. The HortFACT article (link given by Isla, post #11) records them as far south as Waikanae on the west coast of the North Island, which is even closer to where I am than Levin.

I just haven't seen them here but I'm keeping a lookout now that I'm aware of them.

More
13 years 4 months ago #359372 by Lake Rotoiti Magic
Replied by Lake Rotoiti Magic on topic Ticks
We had tick in Te Puna, and we have noticed one here in Rotorua so far. So who is going to import those tools for removing ticks. They look awesome.

40 acres, cattle, suffolk sheep, chickens, and our horses.[:D]

More
13 years 4 months ago #359428 by GloPony
Replied by GloPony on topic Ticks

stephclark;348591 wrote: hi.. yeah i have seen them work too.. put them on the front strap of a cover.. best to be touching the skin apparntly

Must be touching the skin or they don't work. I plait into manes & tails too but they do tend to lose them in the paddock so I resort to halters with breakaway straps for some of them. :)

Asuntol was taken off the market about 4-5 years ago now. It's banned in several countries around the world. I still have a bottle here that I wash the dog blankets in & occasionally wash horses in before applying the tags.

Fiprovet (the Frontline alternative) is great to spray on their undercarriage as well in areas where there is a large concentration of ticks.

My horses had never been exposed to ticks before we moved here & a couple in particular had HUGE reactions to them (legs blew up like balloons, weeping everywhere in 24hrs). It was the Fiprovet / PyThon deer tag combo that the vet recommended.

More
13 years 4 months ago #359429 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Ticks
Asuntol was the best ever wash i ever found for my dogs.. bloody wonderfull stuff :)
if i had known it was going off market i would have stockpiled about 6 bottles of the stuff

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
13 years 4 months ago #359432 by GloPony
Replied by GloPony on topic Ticks
Yeah, highly carcinogenic though (like most things that work! :D )

Scout around some of the pet shops & you might be lucky enough to find an old bottle on the shelf. I know a lot of them did that very thing (stockpiled it) when they knew it was being discontinued.

Bayticol works well too though. I haven't tried Permoxin but I know a lot of people use it & seem to have success with it.

More
13 years 3 months ago #361208 by pkb
Replied by pkb on topic Ticks
What is the best treatment for sheep and lambs with ticks? We're not really set up for dipping, so is there an alternative pour-on/spot treatment that has any effect? Thanks.

More
13 years 3 months ago #361216 by Sue

By 'Wellington' I was meaning Wellington city and the area immediately around it. The HortFACT article (link given by Isla, post #11) records them as far south as Waikanae on the west coast of the North Island, which is even closer to where I am than Levin.

With the amount of stock that gets moved around the regions, especially on sale days, I can't imagine how animals with ticks from Levin Saleyards have not transferred them down to the 'Wellington ' region by now!

Stu, my old yellow Labrador once chewed her way into a bar of Asuntol soap which I had put in a box of stuff in my laundry, while emptying out a low level cupboard when grandson was starting to crawl and investigate. It was only a matter of minutes from putting the stuff in the boix, prior to removal to a safer height. I found her chewing up something on the lawn-she only had the corner off the box and a slight taste of soap but she was a very sick dog about 8 hours later, taken to the vet, not expected to survive the night (already 12 and on heart medication). She stayed in Intensive care for 3 days and came home to live another 4 years-but it was a close call. I'm not suprised Asuntol has been taken off the shelf. My bar of soap was at least 10 years old!

My Bayticol-expiry date 2004, is working well this season!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
13 years 3 months ago #361259 by bevhawkins
Replied by bevhawkins on topic Ticks
I have just done my entire fold of highlands with Bayticol, so easy to do when they are all so friendly and just stand there in the paddocks while I poured it over their neck and shoulders. Saves a lot of hassle getting them all in the yards. I have noticed though that the birds seem to be getting all over their backs and picking off some of them, now they are covered in bird poo!

More
13 years 3 months ago #361262 by Sue
Interesting bev where the ticks are on your Highlands.
My lot just get them under their tail and down between their backlegs and their udders-or testicles-depending on what is down there! I wonder if it is because they like the darker areas, so under a Highland coat is darker so they are on their backs?
I thought it was because they could get attached to the thinner skin more easily where I find them!

Sue

More
13 years 3 months ago #361264 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Ticks
:) Sue ... well i used asuntol wash on my dogs all the time .. :) it brought them up lovely n shinny coats, killed everything that crawled on them :) ( yeah ok they smelt like Petrol for a day or two lol ) and was the easiest thing to use , as you didnt have to rinse them off .. just put it in the bath ( yes ok not everyone uses the house bath for their dogs lol ) and fill with water and lovely clean flea, crawling thingies free dogs with lovely shinny coats :)
if i had known it was going off the market i would have stockpiled about 6 - 10 bottles of the stuff :)
Whats this Bayticol stuff you guys are talking about ? :) .. would it do the same as asuntol in bathing a couple of big Wolves ? :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds