Ticks

More
13 years 4 months ago #357852 by Toast
Replied by Toast on topic Ticks
I'm west of Palmerston North & we don't seem to get them here. However, horses going to shows & polo ponies to tournaments often bring them back. If it's cool enough at night they'll die (the ticks, that is), otherwise I treat them individually. Usually get them in the early stages, not the full blown body. I still have an old bottle of Asuntol so make up a small amount & with rubber gloves on I use cotton wool to dab the tick.

My horses always used to pick them up from the back yards at the Dannevirke showgrounds. However, I don't think the cattle graze in that area any more & we haven't brought them home for several years now.

I know somebody who must have got one from her dog & she discovered it completely embedded in the skin under her arm when she was showering. She had to have a doctor cut it out.

Wherever there are deer, you're likely to get them. Also this year with it being so warm I'm sure they'll appear in areas they don't usually show up in, so it would be a good idea to keep an eye out for them everywhere. I must warn the new polo grooms.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 months ago #357867 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Ticks
I know well what Isla refers to as a tick sensitivity. Cost me the best groomed horse at the Kaiatia A&P show one year. Despite the asuntol wash, my horse came up in millions of little bumps where the seed ticks had snacked. We had them around Dargaville too. Horse got a tick latch on his sheath once which caused such swelling that he was having trouble peeing.
My father was very allergic to them and used to swell badly. He used a little bit of meths or kerosene on them to make them let go and drop off. We had a very tame blackbird that used to visit the cowshed twice a day to get the ticks we took off the cows udders. They must have been a good protein source for those baby chicks.

I have seen them in the south Auckland area too on dry summers, but they don't seem to be in the sort of numbers that grow in the North.

Ticks in Canada carry lymes disease, thought to be spread through the wild deer population. Glad we don't have that here.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
13 years 4 months ago #357878 by Isla
Replied by Isla on topic Ticks
The second year I took Isla to the Kaitaia A&P show I got organised and put Bayticol (is that the tick treatment pour-on?) on her a couple or three weeks before so that she'd be free of ticks for long enough for all the bumps to resolve before show day. A shiny, smooth, groomed animal doesn't look so great with little bumps everywhere!

I've contemplated sorting out when we'd need to treat every animal to break the breeding cycle, but I suspect our climate is just too nice for ticks and it would be an expensive waste of time. So it seems more beneficial in the long-term to select for animals which are less affected by the inevitable increase in tick populations.

More
13 years 4 months ago #357879 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Ticks
I've seen a few on my cows this week, well actually felt them when I scratched between their back legs and udder and felt little scabby lumps.

They came off by scratching with my finger nails-fairly flat and shrivelled looking as though dead, but still waiving their legs! We haven't treated this year-but haven't seen any full ones-so perhaps the cows have their own in built rejection mechanism?

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
13 years 4 months ago #357885 by Isla
Replied by Isla on topic Ticks
That's one of the stages of feeding, I think. They're quite hard to squish at that stage, but will pop satisfyingly if you press them against something hard with the flat of your fingernail or a pen.

Many of my cows have a lot of scabby reaction in that area at the bottom of the udder, between the four teats. I think it resolves once the calves begin feeding, because the ticks then get regularly dislodged.

More
13 years 4 months ago #357898 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Ticks

That's one of the stages of feeding, I think. They're quite hard to squish at that stage, but will pop satisfyingly if you press them against something hard with the flat of your fingernail or a pen.

Many of my cows have a lot of scabby reaction in that area at the bottom of the udder, between the four teats. I think it resolves once the calves begin feeding, because the ticks then get regularly dislodged.

It's amazing the places some of us find to scratch our cows isn't it?! One of mine lifts a leg so I can reach her ticklish spots easier.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
13 years 4 months ago #357899 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic Ticks
my horse lifts her leg so i can reach her udder.... it can give you a right heart attack when you see a large horse suddenly swinging its hind leg in your direction!

then she stands there like a dog cocking its leg waiting for me to oblige.

More
13 years 4 months ago #357910 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Ticks
The only year I had them on my horses, I washed them down with the animal approved Rip cord (using a sponge) and thankfully haven't had a problem since.

More
13 years 4 months ago #358005 by Inger
Replied by Inger on topic Ticks
I don't worry about them on my adult cows, but they're more of a worry on the sheep and lambs. Though one year I had to mix up a solution of stuff from the vet and spray our new born calves, as she said i couldn't use Bayticol on the very young animals.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

More
13 years 4 months ago #358096 by GloPony
Replied by GloPony on topic Ticks
They're a PITA on the horses! I attach PyThon ear tags (designed for deer) to them to protect them from ticks. They work REALLY well & are only about $6 each (at most).

I haven' noticed any on the sheep but then they don't tend to graze the longer grass like the horses do & as the horses graze ahead, I think they probably clear the way for the sheep.

They bite the dogs too but don't tend to latch on like they do to herbivores.

More
13 years 4 months ago #358098 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic Ticks
eekkk. yes, i had put the tick horror to the back of my mind..but yes i can agree and been there done that as most of above..
1. horses, forelocks and under carrage..once got 'caught' by an unexpected visitor, hand under giving my big geilding a good stratch where he couldnt reach[;)].. absolute look of horror from visitor wondering what i was doing to the horse [:I][:I]
2. cats ears in and out.. millions ..
3. me.. yuk yuk yuk yuk.. complete gross out.. yuk
4. cows yip..
5. dog.. yik

and what do you mean you cant get ausntol anymore.. OMG..

More
13 years 4 months ago #358100 by bevhawkins
Replied by bevhawkins on topic Ticks
I use permoxin on my GG's, mix it with water,citronella, lavendar and meths, spray it on, I bathed my ponies yesterday and then the final rinse had this in it I also spray their covers with it. I have heard that people in my area are using dear tags with stuff on it that can be brought from DF vets, they plait them into tail and mane and they actually work.

More
13 years 4 months ago #358101 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic Ticks
hi.. yeah i have seen them work too.. put them on the front strap of a cover.. best to be touching the skin apparntly

More
13 years 4 months ago #358108 by Cinsara
Replied by Cinsara on topic Ticks
I use those ear tags too and as I don't leave halters on I plait them into their manes. They seem to work ok.

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
13 years 4 months ago #358114 by PeterNZ
Replied by PeterNZ on topic Ticks

pisa;348282 wrote: What relief they don't pass on diseases.
In Germany I had to go through a painful course of injections after i got bitten, and it had been by a tick in an area of Germany, where there was the chance of Meningitis infection.

At home we always have a special pair of pincers, pointing inwards, to be able to get a grip on the head and not the body, and then twist it off.

Now, not having had to it here, I've forgotten whether it's clockwise or anti clockwise, but I know that the ticks "screw" themselves into the skin. So, twisting them out increases the chance of complete removal.

Interestingly enough I just found this gadget, and they twist either way!
www.otom.com/en/1-how-to-remove-a-tick.php

So far I haven't seen any on our dog or cat, are they restricted to the northern areas of the North Island?

Pisa, the ticks in New Zealand are not a carrier for the diseases we have in Germany. Ticks in Germany do spread Lyme Disease and a disease called Spring Meningitis. A neighbor of us lost his job because he was on sick leave for longer than 9 months because of a tick bite. Fortunately this risk is non existent in New Zealand.

What I found amazing is that there are so many people who are surprised when they learn that we have ticks in New Zealand. I even found public sources which say there are no ticks in New Zealand. Mainly information sites for tourists.

We use python tags on our cow (tied to the tail,works like a treat) and cut them in half for our goats. Also my horse has one because he is allergic against ticks.

Cheers

Peter

Everything you need to make your own cheese at home
www.CottageCrafts.co.nz
[:D]LSB Members will get first order (over $10) shipping cost free. Just mention your LSB user name! [:D]

My private blog (Caution! Contains opinions and thoughts which may offend some viewers.)

Change the World! One Meal...

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds