Ticks

More
13 years 5 months ago #25599 by max2
Ticks was created by max2
We had our first odd one a few weeks ago, but this morning noticed the girls are really swarming with them or bites. Best to check your stock and pets.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #357789 by Isla
Replied by Isla on topic Ticks
My cattle have them all over. We just live with them - not much choice around here. I cull on tick sensitivity.

More
13 years 5 months ago #357791 by pisa
Replied by pisa on topic Ticks
Sorry, but BIG Eeeeew![xx(]

I thought I had left those horrible blighters behind me.
Are they the ones that can cause meningitis?

1 hubby, 2 kids, 1 cat, 1 dog, 2 swallows and I've lost count how many offsprings with even more grandkids, 5 bunny girls, 5 bunny boys, 12 chickens (rooster, pullets, chicks and more about to hatch hopefully) and 4 goats with two of them expecting any day! (24.10.14)
But who's counting [;)]...

More
13 years 5 months ago #357812 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Ticks

Isla;348247 wrote: I cull on tick sensitivity.

Really. Why? And what is "tick sensitivity"? If you had lived where I did, you would have no stock left because in a bad year of tick infestation everything, and I mean everything, was literally alive with ticks. Dogs and horses would be sprayed with Asuntol every 3-4 weeks, cattle would be constantly moved so they never grazed on long grass, sheep would be dipped to deal with the problem. 500 dead lambs through ticks getting into the middle ear and upsetting their balance so they couldn't feed because they kept falling over. Coming home from work and spending anything up to an hour with a lighter and needle removing them from my body. That's a tick problem. Consequently, I don't get too excited about the relatively small number I see here.

Pisa, the cattle tick we get here is not known to pass on any disease so you can rest assured. Their biggest problem is the hide damage they can cause, and aenemia if found in large enough numbers which will cause death. They can be lethal to young animals, the weak, old and sick.

Although Asuntol is no longer available, there are other remedies available if one is concerned but all will have a withholding period for milk and meat so if milking cows, if the numbers are small, leave them or take to them with a lighter and needle. Although it's very tempting, don't pull them off. This will leave the head and jaws embedded in the skin which will fester and cause a sore.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
13 years 5 months ago #357815 by Isla
In my cattle there is a range of reactions to ticks and tick bites. Some of my cow families have been particularly sensitive, their skin reacting nastily so that whole areas look raised and knobbly; others, grazing in the same mobs, are hardly bothered by them at all - few ticks on their bodies, not much reaction to them wherever they are. I take note of this variation and when considering my cull list each year, that's one of the things I look at.

Ticks are part of living in a warm environment and as the environment is likely to get warmer over the coming years, I doubt the tick problem is going to decrease. Breeding animals which are least affected by them seems like a sensible long-term plan.

"Tick sensitivity" as I define it in my herd, is not as high a consideration as production or conformation, but as an indicator of a cow's ability to do well in this environment, it's another measure I use. My herd is now into its fifth generation in some families, so I've had time to notice such tendencies and time also to cull out most of the more important faults. I'm happy with their eyelash length now, so the next thing to fix is their sensitivity to tick bites.

More
13 years 5 months ago #357816 by Lighthill
Replied by Lighthill on topic Ticks
Oh... I wasn't aware we had ticks in NZ. Do these ones only infest cattle or other animals as well, including two-legged ones?

More
13 years 5 months ago #357817 by Isla
Any tick I've ever pulled off any body (mine included) has come out intact! They're always waving every leg at me, little mandibles or whatever their mouth parts are waggling around in the horror of removal from the food supply, or often still hanging onto a bit of skin from the cow they were attached to. Certainly they leave a nasty bump where they were and on me the bite is horribly itchy for a long time - far longer than other bites - but no little bits left behind. Maybe it depends on how one pulls them off? I regularly remove them from cows' udders, the places the cows don't seem to be able to scratch or lick them off for themselves.

More
13 years 5 months ago #357820 by pisa
Replied by pisa on topic Ticks
What relief they don't pass on diseases.
In Germany I had to go through a painful course of injections after i got bitten, and it had been by a tick in an area of Germany, where there was the chance of Meningitis infection.

At home we always have a special pair of pincers, pointing inwards, to be able to get a grip on the head and not the body, and then twist it off.

Now, not having had to it here, I've forgotten whether it's clockwise or anti clockwise, but I know that the ticks "screw" themselves into the skin. So, twisting them out increases the chance of complete removal.

Interestingly enough I just found this gadget, and they twist either way!
www.otom.com/en/1-how-to-remove-a-tick.php

So far I haven't seen any on our dog or cat, are they restricted to the northern areas of the North Island?

Attached files
File Attachment:

1 hubby, 2 kids, 1 cat, 1 dog, 2 swallows and I've lost count how many offsprings with even more grandkids, 5 bunny girls, 5 bunny boys, 12 chickens (rooster, pullets, chicks and more about to hatch hopefully) and 4 goats with two of them expecting any day! (24.10.14)
But who's counting [;)]...

More
13 years 5 months ago #357824 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Ticks
What a neat tool. Looks so simple to use, alot nicer that squishing.[;)]
Well written info on the site too, aimed to make you feel their tool is the ONLY way to remove ticks safely.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
13 years 5 months ago #357839 by Isla
They're just ordinary ticks here, you can scratch the tiny ones off, pull them off, twist them off if you want to be complicated ... It doesn't matter. They come off/out without any hassle and they don't cause any lasting damage. If they bite you, they're just really itchy for ages and then it goes away ...

Settle!

More
13 years 5 months ago #357840 by Isla
Interestingly HortFACT and Landcare Research identify them by different names, but I think there is only one type of cattle tick in NZ.

More
13 years 5 months ago #357841 by Isla

spoook;348286 wrote: ...Well written info on the site too, aimed to make you feel their tool is the ONLY way to remove ticks safely.

... and almost entirely irrelevant to us, particularly in terms of tick danger.

More
13 years 5 months ago #357842 by Lighthill
Replied by Lighthill on topic Ticks
This is an interesting and informative thread, although Ronnie's experience sounds more horrible than 'interesting'. Was that in NZ or overseas?

The HortFact site is useful Isla. I've never heard of them in the Wellington area but I see they've been recorded in Waikanae, only an hour away. It's good to be aware of them.

More
13 years 5 months ago #357846 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic Ticks
we have them here, i have seen them on the cattle and horses... haven't examined the sheep but imagine they get them too. i would think they hop on anything they can so dogs etc would be targets.

More
13 years 5 months ago #357848 by hilldweller
Replied by hilldweller on topic Ticks

Isla;348276 wrote: I'm happy with their eyelash length now, so the next thing to fix is their sensitivity to tick bites.

It's always good to have clear breeding objectives [;)]

hilldweller

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds