how much hay?

More
13 years 5 months ago #25573 by Jen - Featherston
or how long is a piece of string I guess!

We are getting 23 acres of knee height grass cut and baled into conventional small bales, kind of wondering how many we are likely to get?

I know it depends on the denseness of the grass etc, but kinda worried about how many bales we will have to pick up!!

So can anyone give me an idea of roughly how many bales we would get per acre?

Sometimes its not only what you say, its the way you say it that counts.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #357465 by Seaside
Replied by Seaside on topic how much hay?
We get about 5 or 6 acres done each year. In a lush year like this, where it's waist high, we get about 400 to 500 conventional bales. On a bad year, when it's sparce and thin and calf high and the only lush bits are where we've been able to irrigate, we get about 90.

So as a wild, semi-educated guess, you may be looking at 1500 to 2000 bales from 23 acres of knee-high grass. Do I get a prize if I'm right? :p

PS Wear gloves and long sleeves to collect the bales, and get a few friends to help by bribing them with food, beer, and a 'rural experience'.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
13 years 5 months ago #357466 by Jen - Featherston
Replied by Jen - Featherston on topic how much hay?
hhaha on the rural experience Seaside!

THanks a bunch for the help.

We pick up about 200 bales a year from our local guy but this will be our first time cutting our own, so know all about long sleeves and leather gloves.

eeek 1500 bales thats a lot of Hay to pick up. I think I am going to be doing a lot of baking.

So whats the going rate to pay a teenager for helping to pick up hay?

More
13 years 5 months ago #357468 by Seaside
Depends whether it's your teenager or someone else's :) If it's someone else's (and they were 15 or younger) I'd probably give them $10 an hour. If it's one of our children (mind you our oldest isn't quite 13 yet), then they get Christmas.

www.farmaway.co.nz

More
13 years 5 months ago #357470 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic how much hay?
Jeez Jen - I was going to say that you are going to be picking up many many bales. I have had up to 160 on not good grass over 2 acre so I would be guessing somewhere between 1300 and 1500 bales? Totally depends on how thick and good the hay will be. Have your storage?

More
13 years 5 months ago #357475 by Jen - Featherston
Replied by Jen - Featherston on topic how much hay?
eeeeeeeeek we have a two bay hay shed, and an empty 5 bay implement shed hope that will be enough to store it!

I know how much work it is to just pick up 200 bales and stack em, let alone 1500-2000 of them! Hoping that there are heaps of fine days after they are baled cause its going to take a long long time to get them into the sheds!

OMG what have I got myself into!

More
13 years 5 months ago #357478 by bev
Replied by bev on topic how much hay?
Ring your local rugby club, or maybe school and use it as a fundraiser
Local club here charges 80 cents per bale, supplies their own teams with utes, and you dont need to feed/water them
23 arces of grass could be close to 2000 bales.
Why dont you make what you need, plus some for extra selling and sell the rest standing, that way, less work for you, and instant money in your pocket, i wouldnt sell it less for than $3 a bale standing.

More
13 years 5 months ago #357481 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic how much hay?
You could offer some of it cheaper as pick up behind the baler (that's how we order and get ours ....we just need notice of when it is being baled and get the truck organised to go over )...saves you some baking, beer , back ache and shed space[;)][;)]
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
13 years 5 months ago #357500 by igor
Replied by igor on topic how much hay?
I have never worn long sleeves for picking up hay as I find them to be too hot. Long trousers, however, I would consider essential to protect the legs from being pricked and scratched repeatedly by the cut ends of the grass stalks in the bales. Where I come from opinion is divided on the issue of gloves. Some, myself included, find gloves too hot and cumbersome and just use heavy surgical tape to protect that part of the fingers where the bale string goes.
Maybe you shouldn't cut all of your hay at once if you can't get enough men to pick it up on the day. It really should be picked up straight away. The risk is too great to leave it out longer than is absolutely neccessary.

More
13 years 5 months ago #357514 by Seaside

Jen - Featherston;347906 wrote: eeeeeeeeek we have a two bay hay shed, and an empty 5 bay implement shed hope that will be enough to store it!

We use one bay of a standard three bay barn, and that one bay takes about 300 bales, stacked to the roof.

If you can find someone to buy from behind the baler, than you will get less dosh but it's less work. I believe the standard in this area is $1 more than what you pay the contractor (we paid our contractor $3 per bale last year).

www.farmaway.co.nz

More
13 years 5 months ago #357519 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic how much hay?
Try to persuade the Baler to use his bale catcher, so that you have bundles of 8 bales. If he is experienced with using one, he will drop one bundle next to the other so that you can pick up and stack 16 bales at a time onto your trailer. Saves huge effort.

More
13 years 5 months ago #357525 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic how much hay?
Up in the Waikato the rule of thumb was to budget for 100 bales to the acre (conventional/smalls) Down here it's a lot less, more like 70 to the acre on a normal year and 55 on a dry year, we haven't cut during a wet year yet :D

Bales per acre is very much a local soil fertility x climate/weather calculation.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
13 years 5 months ago #357526 by Heemskerck Station
Replied by Heemskerck Station on topic how much hay?
I remember when I was a kid - the farm we lived on had a self-loading ramp set along side the truck that would automatically shift the bales up the ramp (via a drive system). We'd then grab the bales at the top and load them onto the truck. Not too sure how many but definitely in the 1000's.

More
13 years 5 months ago #357548 by clarry
Replied by clarry on topic how much hay?

igor;347933 wrote: . Long trousers, however, I would consider essential to protect the legs from being pricked and scratched repeatedly by the cut ends of the grass stalks in the bales.

An Old fella showed me how 1 side of bale had all cut ends & otherside had grass folded.........at quick look before picking up each bale saves some pain
Myself am a fan of big squares 1 man can put away alot of hay in a day......when needed open 1 in shed to take a few biscuts down the job to feed out if you only got a few mouths to feed

More
13 years 5 months ago #357585 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic how much hay?
:) Heemskerck :) yep was same on our dairy farm up north when i was kid :) .. us kids used to get paid $0.20 a paddock to line all the blaes up in straight line for the loader :)
LOL but in those days $0.20 brought you a piece of fish and 2 scoops of chips :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds