What to feed newborn lamb if no substitute?

More
13 years 6 months ago #24706 by flyingfeathers
Help ! ! One of our ewes has just lambed (I know late in the season !). She's rejected the second lamb and it desperately needs a feed to get going. What could we use if we don't have any anlamb or equivalent ?

7 acres in the wonderful South Wairarapa

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #348310 by Stu_R
Can you get your hands on some Cows colostrum from a dairy farm near you ?
or if you have yards .. get ewe in and milk a bit off her , or one hold the ewe and the other put the lamb onto her
its going to be a bit of a drama, but you maybe able to get enough off her to give the little one at least something ... good luck , i had Colostrum that Wiltshire's got for me when i had rejection problem with one of my lambs , who is now on Anlamb

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
13 years 6 months ago #348322 by witheze
Like Stu R said...milk the ewe, and go somewhere:confused: for cow colostrum.....I always have some in my freezer for emergencies! I guess a little boiled water and glucose better than nothing?

More
13 years 6 months ago #348323 by drifter
If you are truly desperate then 1 ds sugar per 500mls milk with a raw egg beaten into it.

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

More
13 years 6 months ago #348324 by flyingfeathers
Thanks guys but unfortunately too late for the poor fella :(

Been a bit of a bit c**p start to lambing, first ewe yesterday rejected both her lambs but thankfully the ewe this morning that's lost one of her doubles has taken on one of them, the other seems to be pinching milk here there and everywhere :D Another ewe has just lambed doubles and finally they look healthy. Only another three ewes to go and lambing's finished, phew ! !

More
13 years 6 months ago #348374 by Inger
Jump Start is a powdered colostrum. Its handy to keep in the cupboard for just such a situation as yours Flying Feathers.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

More
13 years 6 months ago #348542 by k&t
I agree.Jump start has saved three lambs this season.Unfortunatly our local vet ran out
due to high demand and couldn't get any more readily,but will make sure I have some for next year.

More
13 years 6 months ago #348587 by flyingfeathers
Great will definitely get some in for next year :) Normally got some Anlamb ready and waiting but used it up last year [:I]

Should know better having grown up on a large scale farm [:I]

More
13 years 6 months ago #348595 by ronnie

flyingfeathers;337734 wrote: thankfully the ewe this morning that's lost one of her doubles has taken on one of them, the other seems to be pinching milk here there and everywhere :D ! !

So, you have a new born lamb that has been left to its own devices, in the hope it manages to steal milk from one of the other ewes????????

Or am I reading this wrong.

More
13 years 6 months ago #348742 by flyingfeathers
Only for the first few hours by the looks of things, it went back to mum in the end and she started accepting and feeding it. Although the next day unfortunately it died :( It was too small and week compared to the other lambs we've got.

I'm from the hard line of only the fittest survive, really don't have time for waifs and strays at the moment. Grew up on a large scale sheep farm and know that Dad never bothered with the weaker lambs and that's the stance I'm taking. OH is softer than me as he's never been in farming before and likes to give anything a go.

More
13 years 6 months ago #348763 by LongRidge
That attitude is absolutely illegal now. If you own an animal, and it needs help, then you are required by law to help it, even if that means giving it a painless death. If you are unable to do that legal requirement then you should seriously consider getting out of farming/owning animals.

More
13 years 6 months ago #348786 by Inger
And then sometimes, no matter what you do, the lamb still dies. When you keep livestock, dead stock is a reality I'm afraid. You will need to keep first aid items in the cupboard though. Even if its your Husband that does the animal assists.

When you bear in mind the large scale carnage of millions of lambs perishing in the South Island snow storm, the loss of one lamb is tiny. But we all need to do our best with the stock we have.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

More
13 years 6 months ago #348876 by jeannielea
Jump start is so easy to have around and mix when you need it and I find that one or two doses of it or colostrum if you have it, work like magic and quickly. Lambs can then go back on mum if you don't want to feed them.

More
13 years 6 months ago #348889 by highgirl

flyingfeathers;338260 wrote: Only for the first few hours by the looks of things, it went back to mum in the end and she started accepting and feeding it. Although the next day unfortunately it died :( It was too small and week compared to the other lambs we've got.

I'm from the hard line of only the fittest survive, really don't have time for waifs and strays at the moment. Grew up on a large scale sheep farm and know that Dad never bothered with the weaker lambs and that's the stance I'm taking. OH is softer than me as he's never been in farming before and likes to give anything a go.

I'm with Longridge...what do you mean "the next day it unfortunately died when in actual fact you left it to die? If you knew it had no chance, you should have had the "balls" to let it go humanly...not take the easy option and leave it to nature. [xx(]

There is no excuse for cruelty, which is how your attitude sounds. To some degree I agree that it's survival of the fittest, but if you have taken on the responsibility of removing animals from nature, and putting them in a paddock owned by you, then you have taken on the responsibility to ensure that every minute of their live is as easy as you can make it, even if that happens to be the minutes before their death.

Apologies if I've misread your attitude.

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds