War on weeds - what's on your hit-list?

More
16 years 3 months ago #73132 by LongRidge
Dock, calis and all other thistles, mullien, mallow, buttercup, hemlock, yarrow (but it is safe for the animals, so why kill it), storksbill, and some others are all killed by MCPA. Ragwort is not killed with MCPA, but Grazon does (and also does the above). Grazon also kills gorse, blackberry, barberry, hawthorn when NOT used in winter.
HD being a Greenie needs a couple of donkeys, and a few goats, but even these don't LIKE docks, so need to be hungry before they will eat enough to make a difference.
MCPA also does wireweed (also known as hedge mustard).
Grazon also does muellenbecia.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 months ago #73133 by hilldweller

quote:Originally posted by Valmai
[brFor me gorse is starting to rear its ugly head in patches (neighbours who dont do weed control grrrr:() Im chopping it off at ground level and painting the stump with salt and waste oil. Ill let you know if it works.[:I]

I'd be interested to know if it does Valmai. I also do the chopping/cutting thing.

hilldweller

More
16 years 3 months ago #73137 by gemini kiwi
We only have a few acres and are Organic, so perhaps some weeds to conventional farmers are just fine with me., but I hate loath 'Barley grass", I was out of action for a couple of years as regards my upkeep of things around the place and this year I'm paying the price. Its easy enough to see around the trees and I'm always pulling off seed heads as I go on my way anywhere, either that or we'll mow it down so it doesn't seed more. The birds appear to be the culprits spreading it I'm sure. Do Goats eat Barley grass? If so I'll be home free. LOL

More
16 years 3 months ago #73141 by hilldweller

quote:Originally posted by Foxwell

Cali thistles - I'm trying out the repetitive chopping down as opposed to spray, but I am feeling slightly defeated by the infestation in the hay paddock - do I try and get in there and chop them out or just wait until it gets cut anyway.

I'd like to know the answer to that one too. I guess the best in terms of the hay would be to pull the thistles and remove them, but pulling when they're surrounded by long grass is very slow and awkward. Last year I just got mine baled and, apart from prickly hay, I don't think there's any reason not to as long as the thistles haven't set seed. This year I think they may seed before the hay is cut so I'm contemplating mowing the thistle-infested corner and sacrificing some of the good stuff along with it. I suppose if I'm going to do that I should have done it two or three times through the season to have an impact on next year's cali population. Next year maybe....

hilldweller

More
16 years 3 months ago #73160 by Gracelands
The Scotch thistles and ragwort are under control thanks to three years of grubbing and pulling respectively, now I'm just left with the Calis. I was going to go for the full chemical warfare this year, but Simkin's post has put me off. The biggest infestation is between my native-planted shelter belt, and my orchard/vege garden.

I tried Roundup on them last year, and think I killed more grass than calis. Maybe its back to the lawnmower. My weedeater and I aren't really on speaking terms, and it refuses to even think about starting for me.

"Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower."
Hans Christian Anderson

More
16 years 3 months ago #73166 by Will
Califonian Thistles are killed by double the recommended dose of MCPA :- 4 litres per hectare, does knock the clover a little but only one spray needed. I did weed spraying in south Otago for 14 years and this was the only way we got rid of them.

More
16 years 3 months ago #73167 by LongRidge
gemini, goats do NOT like barley grass. But donkeys do .....

More
16 years 3 months ago #73185 by Simkin
The repetitive grubbing does get rid of the californian thistles - hubby does that. He uses loppers and cuts them off at ground level just before the flowers become visible - that's the best time anyway. If he's later than that he collects them and puts them in our 'weed corner' because the seeds still ripen and in that corner we have everything under control- at least we hope so. If they are too young at time of cutting they send up more new shoots so timing is crucial.

Gracelands - Roundup does kill the calis. I do have one of those 4l handsprayers and there are different nozzle settings. If it isn't pumped up too much and the nozzle is not screwed on too tight there are quite big droplets in a very narrow 'stream'. These can be directed into the centre of the rosette and the thistle dies from within. Not much grass is affected at our place.
I hold the nozzle very close and pump it up quite often but never close to capacity.

Regarding Tordon: I know that most people spray it without any protection but I know a guy who uses full protective gear for the whole body and a gas mask. He had a full body suit and after spraying he always had a shower. I have seen deformed tomatoes growing in compost that was made with (among other things) grass clippings that were collected at the local refuse transfer stations. It is now known that Tordon used by city gardeners is the cause of this and it makes me wonder whether only tomatoes (and potatoes) are affected.

More
16 years 3 months ago #73188 by betenoir
If anyones worried about roundup 'drift' then the vigilante gel is a good option..used it with great sucess on blackberry (hack back and treat the cut ends) and even pampas (same method).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] BAAAAAAAAA

More
16 years 3 months ago #73196 by PRU2
I have used same method as simkin and had an excellent kill :D with little damage to surrounding grass, I have the nozzle as close as possible to plant, and spray directly on growth centre, no need to cover entire plant (do that and you will kill a large area of surrounding grass) so long as you spray when the plant is in it's most vigorous growth stage. Change the setting as simkin has said, I do them at the rosette stage before they get too high, after that you start spraying higher and getting drift.
Experiment with the nozzle, I do it over a patch of weeds in the garden adjusting until I get desired effect.

More
16 years 3 months ago #73231 by Gracelands
Pru2 and Simkin, thanks for the encouragement. I think I will have another try with the Roundup, after all. A bit late, probably, as some are already flowering, but I might cut those ones back, and try the Vigilant (thanks, also Betenoir) on them, which I use with a lot of success on privit and blackberry.

"Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower."
Hans Christian Anderson

More
16 years 3 months ago #73237 by Simkin
Just cut the flower off and spray the top leafs - should still do the trick. Collect the flower heads, though, otherwise they'll still mature and you'll have lots of seeds for more thistles next season.

More
16 years 3 months ago #73274 by terralee
Anyone else using agritone? We were going to get tordon but the Farmlands bloke said that agritone was a better safer option:) ... we have one paddock inparticular that defies pulling, chopping, deheading etc (too BIG)and it is nearly wall to wall calis[V][xx(][V]so have had to resort to spraying:(
This is our first season here ... shifted August and our other property didn't have a weed control problem, my trusty grubber and sythe put paid to those few weeds there[}:)][}:)] so any idea how many years it'll take for us to win the war????:(
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

• maggies mum
16 years 3 months ago #73276 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic War on weeds - what's on your hit-list?
No idea terralee! Sound's like we're in the same boat! I'll let ya know in 5 years!!

More
16 years 3 months ago #73279 by BillyTheTractor
nettles ( Previous owners planted them) thistles, willow weed. We use spot spraying of roundup. For first 2 years did it all naturally then thought stuff that! [:I]
Completely spray free in the garden.

Wee Farm

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds