Wanted: People used to dogs in waikato

More
13 years 7 months ago #24625 by Hestia
I have several dogs.
They are all behaving obedient dogs,,except for that the youngest is shy,,2-3 minute shy.
He came in to my house and then my husband fell sick.
People we knew and his family did run towards the hills.
There was no time for me to socialize the dog,,,, and with whom???
Full time work and husbands trips to hospital and medication every second hour for more than a year.
I now have to let this dog meet people and get to know that people are friendly. To associate people with schmackos and a cuddle and someone that can throw a ball. Closest towns have dog bans. I have signed up to dog training but those that come come with dogs that have problems. I did ask NZ most famous dog trainer, he promised to come, have done so since january,,,,,,,.
I did find 2 more professional dog trainers that walked in and charged me several hundreds of dollars for one meeting. First one did stare at him and reverse when he barked at her and that was the end of that first and only lesson. Second did travel a long distance and did go in and evaluate the dog and said: he needs to see heaps of people, nothing wrong with him and then he did walk heel with him and check commands.
I went to see a local dog trainer that aint a pro but good at it. He walked up to me, real close and said what is the problem! the dog did not even react to him and loves him to pieces instantly! but that is one person.
Now this dog is to be transported and assessed by a vet,,vet does not want to sit with a schamkos for 3 minutes. They say they refuse to do that and that would mean that I would shift out of NZ same second as they put him down because of that he would shy-misbehave!
Any dog people that would like to come and have a cupper and just let this dog meet some people??
I have even thought about getting peoples used socks so he could sniff people and I would was the socks and send them back. But who would help me with that?

any hints of what to do?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #347267 by Aria
Closest towns have dog bans? Surely not for dogs on leads? I would take him to a busy park with lots of people and other dogs. Sit down on a park bench and just let the dog soak in the atmosphere. Doggie people always migrate toward other doggie people - at least that's been our experience all over NZ.

More
13 years 7 months ago #347278 by Hestia
Nearest town has signs that says no dogs, not even on leads. Local bylaw.
I do not have any transportation to get elsewhere.

More
13 years 7 months ago #347286 by bev
hestia, there are plenty of places that allow dogs, there is even a 'free of restraint' areas in Te Aroha, Morrinsville and Matamata.
You are not allowed anydogs in the central business area, and for good reason!
If you want a list of where you can take them, let me know, I have the paperwork for the council right in front of me.
The dog obdience class that are held at the Te Aroha rugby grounds are good, some very intelligent dogs go there, you would be surprised, even if you go and watch one night, and decided then wether it would suit your dog

More
13 years 7 months ago #347289 by Hestia
Thanks Bev,
I have been at that dog training,,
was told to leave since my dog did bark at another dog,,
we did disturb,,,,

There is one dog place in town closest to me,,never seen any dogs there,,
only people is people night time leaving broken glas and garbage,,been ther many many times,it is just me,,

He needs people that show that he can stop paying attention to people and just relax,

would love if someone that has a confident dog would come around for a cupper.
Give my dog a muzzle and then let them out,,have a sniff and then muzzle off.

otherwise other dogs are not important,,but people handling him is.

More
13 years 7 months ago #347293 by Kalmara
Give these people a call & explain to them what you need. There will be someone out there that can help.
HAMILTON DOG OBEDIENCE CLUB
Tracey Wilde
56 Fairfield Road
Woodstock
Hamilton
Phone : 07-853 578
Email : This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

[hr]CAMBRIDGE DOG OBEDIENCE CLUB
Tarah Hunt
63 Meadway Road
R D 3
Ohaupo

More
13 years 7 months ago #347301 by Hestia
I have called around and people do not have time. I have even asked a person that travels and does puppy training for help and got told too busy. He needs people,,people that can walk in and out and crowd his place and make him realize that people are same as me his mum.

More
13 years 7 months ago #347305 by Kalmara
How about putting a notice in the local vet/pet/shop /boarding kennel for someone to spend time with him.
Is there a local daycare that he could go to once a week ?

More
13 years 7 months ago #347306 by Hestia
I did park him at a boarding kennel for 5 weeks, they did not dare to be with him.
At the few occasions I have managed to get someone to come home and sit down and he can have a sniff it takes 3 minutes and he is fine and good as gold.
But 5 weeks at boarding kennel and they never did get close to him!
If I live a normal life I would have family, friends,siblings, kids, grandkids and I would just muzzle him and it would be over and done,,

More
13 years 7 months ago #347308 by Kalmara
what breed & how old ?

More
13 years 7 months ago #347311 by Hestia
3 year Alsatian,,he is good as gold,,after the 3 minutes.
I can flip him upside down,,he is the most gentle taker of treats,,he is smart and keen,,he licks the cat to death, he cuddles the lambs,,

More
13 years 7 months ago #347315 by Kalmara
OK, re-reading your post. So he needs a vet check for transport ?
I would start him on rescue remedy & make a vet appointment in a few days time.
It would be a very rare vet that wouldn't spend a few minutes getting to know the dog before doing an examination.

More
13 years 7 months ago #347316 by Hestia
Vet that is to examine at that day is in auckland.
If it was around the corner and I had a reliable car then I would see that place once a week to make it his place.
I started to give him pet calm made by silber horn. 2 pills a day for now a month.
But cant measure if it is doing something since I have no people to socialize him with.

More
13 years 7 months ago #347321 by Kalmara
Maybe this GS breeder would be able to help you HOLANDRA KENNELS
Ms Angela Morley
Hamilton
Phone : 07-843 7985
Mobile : 021-751-367
Fax : 0-7-843 4035
Email : This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
13 years 7 months ago #347323 by Hestia
I will give her a call tomorow,,,,

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds