Lamb Vaccinations

More
13 years 7 months ago #24592 by k22
Lamb Vaccinations was created by k22
Hi,

We've just bought some lamb vaccine from the vet, and they mentioned to give it at 4 weeks. However, the ewes weren't vaccinated before lambing, so would need to do it sooner?

Just checking that it's fine to do it. We have 5 at 3 days old, and 2 born this morning (yes, in time for the weather... contemplating bringing them inside currently, no sheltered place to really put mum and babies). Actually, while I'm here, do you think that's a good idea? Don't really want to take off mum (we already have 2 inside girls)... but don't want any sad surprises in the morning.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #346928 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic Lamb Vaccinations
If she is an older ewe she will keep them warm and look after them. Put them in your most sheltered paddock or put some hay bales up for in a L shape and they will snuggle in.

More
13 years 7 months ago #346935 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Lamb Vaccinations
The short answer is "no, do them at 4 weeks, about a week before you tag, tail and castrate them".
Ask if you want to know why, because it's quite an involved answer.

More
13 years 7 months ago #346967 by k22
Replied by k22 on topic Lamb Vaccinations
Ok, I will ask why :)

They won't be tagged or tailed... and will be ringed so will do that fairly soon. As far as I'm aware, there is a danger in ringing them with tetanus?

Funnily enough, our 2 older mums have done a useless job, and the first time mum with triplets is doing fantastically. Had to bring one in last night mum left in the corner, so we now have 3 inside babies after mum wouldn't take him back this morning.

More
13 years 7 months ago #346969 by hilldweller
Replied by hilldweller on topic Lamb Vaccinations
Dunno about the vax - will be interested in the replies - but I definitely wouldn't take newborn lambs from their mother just because the weather's bad. Can you do anything about makeshift shelter - put a couple of bales of hay in the paddock or something? Anything that will break the wind is helpful.

hilldweller

More
13 years 7 months ago #346971 by k22
We only took the one she left behind. He was freezing cold and couldn't even stand. She seems to have rejected him this morning when we took him back, but perhaps she rejected him last night? We had checked on them frequently, and that was the 2nd time we found him off by himself. We held her this morning so he could get some milk off her... might try that for a while.

The other 2 came inside after mum had no milk. She's interested in them, but nothing there for them.

More
13 years 7 months ago #346973 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Lamb Vaccinations
K22 :) if mum interested, and will look after them .. i would try doing what Tigger did with Tiny Trouble .. tigger was bottle feeding her, but she lived with mum and brothyers n sisters outside
:) lol after having ( and still have ) 2 rejects living in my lounge, mum babysitting at night would be a godsend :)
Its worth a go i think if mum still interested in them :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
13 years 7 months ago #346974 by k22
Yea we did think of that and tried initially... I should have said she was 'slightly interested'. She seems to recognise them as hers, but after a couple of mins she walks off and leaves them behind. (that was after being apart from them for about 3hours). They've been inside for a few nights now, so they don't see her as mum anymore.

Also, I think we have the best behaved lambs ever... no need for a baby-sitter! Last feed about midnight, and then again between 6 and 7... don't hear a peep from them!

More
13 years 7 months ago #346981 by cowvet
Replied by cowvet on topic Lamb Vaccinations
depends on what sort of lamb vaccine it is. If the tetanus component is toxoid (2 doses gives long term tetanus immunity) or tetanus antitoxin (tetanus component only gives a short period of protection over the time of ringing or tailing etc)

if it is tetanus antitoxin then is should be given at the time of ringing to prevent tetanus issues as it only provides protection for a couple of weeks

I love animals...they're delicious

More
13 years 7 months ago #347028 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Lamb Vaccinations

k22;336259 wrote: We only took the one she left behind. He was freezing cold and couldn't even stand. She seems to have rejected him this morning when we took him back, but perhaps she rejected him last night? We had checked on them frequently, and that was the 2nd time we found him off by himself. We held her this morning so he could get some milk off her... might try that for a while.

Persevere - we managed to do this with one boy who had been taken home, cleaned by the dog, and fed with syringe. Was determined he wasn't going to be a bottle raised fellow! [;)]

Took about four days of four times a day penning his mum in and latching him on. He got the idea, and so did she. I just got lots of bruises. But worth it in the end for the least hassle of ongoing bottle feeding :D

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
13 years 7 months ago #347124 by jerry leadbetter
Replied by jerry leadbetter on topic Lamb Vaccinations
I had a similar situation - we had bought the 5 in 1 from the vet - and vaccinated the ewes but we were a little late and the next day they started lambing. Phoned the vet to ask if we needed to vaccinate again and they advised yes as it would take up to 14 days for immunity to build up from the ewe to the lamb (unborn). Gave all our lambs a 1ml shot along with the quick spray of iodine on the naval's. All fine and healthy - no mis-mothering or rejection which was a concern. That was the advice from our vet, so we followed it.
Check again with your vet if you're unsure, or want to clarify instructions - simple phone call, sure they won't mind. Better than dead or sick animals.

2.5 acres in the winterless north. 4 suffolk ewes, 1 wether tenant, one enormous Chocolate Lab and a nutty cat.

More
13 years 7 months ago #347146 by k22

tigger;336323 wrote: Persevere - we managed to do this with one boy who had been taken home, cleaned by the dog, and fed with syringe. Was determined he wasn't going to be a bottle raised fellow! [;)]

Took about four days of four times a day penning his mum in and latching him on. He got the idea, and so did she. I just got lots of bruises. But worth it in the end for the least hassle of ongoing bottle feeding :D

We gave up.. she's being a right grump about it all, smacking him around and all. Already have twins inside, so what's one more! He's been sneaking drinks from another ewe when he can when we take them out... unfortunately she has triplets so doesn't need another!

More
13 years 7 months ago #347148 by k22
looking at www.intervet.co.nz/products/lamb-vaccine...roduct-overview.aspx it only mentions that it should be given at docking.

We won't be docking, but the boys will be ringed in the next few days... which is when we would have vaccinated.

More
13 years 7 months ago #347152 by cowvet
Replied by cowvet on topic Lamb Vaccinations

k22;336453 wrote: looking at www.intervet.co.nz/products/lamb-vaccine...roduct-overview.aspx it only mentions that it should be given at docking.

We won't be docking, but the boys will be ringed in the next few days... which is when we would have vaccinated.

is that the sort of vaccine you have exactly...if not then advice may not be appropriate for you.

I love animals...they're delicious

More
13 years 7 months ago #347227 by k22
Yup, that's the one

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds