Difficult Neighbour Ideas Needed

More
13 years 10 months ago #342136 by Phaedrus
I imagine this isn't likely to win me friends and influence here but in my view if someone elses dog is worrying/killing your stock, and you've tried the 'nice' way of dealing with the situation then this is what I'd look to:

Dog Control Act 1996 No 13 (as at 07 July 2010), Public Act

Seizure or destruction of dog running at large among stock or poultry
  • (1) The owner of any stock or poultry or that owner's agent or employee, or any constable, dog control officer, or dog ranger acting at the request of that owner, may forthwith either seize or destroy any dog running at large among that stock or poultry.
  • (2) Where, under subsection (1), a dog is seized by any person other than a dog control officer or dog ranger, that person shall ensure that the dog is returned to its owner or delivered into the custody of a dog control officer or dog ranger.
P.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #342138 by SarahM
Just another thing I thought of ..... can the women of both parties sort it out, without the men (and all that testosterone!) becoming involved.

Once we bought some subdivided property off a local farmer. He retained a portion next door and ran a cattle strength current through his property and into the property that was now ours. Hubby got a huge zap off it. We put a polite letter his way asking for the current to be removed from our property. Hubby later got a second zap. We were NOT impressed. The farmer dude got a visit from us and was less than forthcoming.... but his wife was in the background listening. We reckon she talked some sense into him after we left. Sometimes the women wear the pants despite outwards appearances. :rolleyes::p

5 acres, husband, daughter, son, me, about 12 sheep and their lambs, currently no ram (yay!), 2 Galloways, about 35 chooks, 3 cats and 2 budgies.

More
13 years 10 months ago #342152 by Minky2
You have my sympathy and I don't see why anyone should have to listen to howling barking dogs all day, and having your chickens mauled is the last straw - are there different laws for rural or something????? I've just done a count and there are at least 12 dogs living on our tiny, short street - all on TINY city sections. You'd be lucky to hear any of them barking even once a day. When I applied for a two dog permit the Dog control guy was really strict and went over my place with a fine tooth comb and forcefully pointed out all the responsibilities I needed to be aware of. You NEVER see loose dogs around here.

There is no excuse for how your neighbour is behaving with his dogs - apart from anything else it is cruel to the dogs as you say. I can't believe that your dog control/council people haven't sorted this out. If I were you I would go to a more senior level, go and see them rather than just phone, and explain it all. We had to do this once years ago when we had a problem with neighbours stereo/multiple parties and nothing was being done by noise control. By going to a more senior level and calmly explaining the problem with evidence and other neighbours backing we got it sorted out. You can do it anonymously.

Don't give up, for the dogs sake if nothing else!!!

More
13 years 10 months ago #342154 by Denneaux

Jack;330648 wrote: Gidday

Fair enough mate. Question answered.

But now another question please, what the hell is an Alpha Male?

Imagine "Papa Smurf" all bossy and stuck in the 1950's, then imagine he went to audition for the next "Rambo" movie and on the way a brick fell on his head causing a bit of brain damage...hope that helps :D

Unless stated, the above post is not meant as criticism.

Go back and read it again in your HAPPY voice!

More
13 years 10 months ago #342164 by Cinsara

SarahM;330651 wrote: Just another thing I thought of ..... can the women of both parties sort it out, without the men (and all that testosterone!) becoming involved.

Sounds like this good lady is well and truely subservient :(

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
13 years 10 months ago #342182 by GloPony

Stigand;330585 wrote: He refuses, ARC WCC council does nothing, spca toothless. Blah blah blah, ideas please folks.

WCC are normally REALLY hot on this sort of thing! Particularly when it involves dogs killing things, no matter what species it is. Ring them again & ask to speak to Neil Wells (head of WCC Animal Welfare) & make a formal complaint to him, he should ruffle some feathers (pardon the pun [;)] :D ) & get some action for you.

YOU shouldn't be the one having to build fences, etc to keep his dogs out, particularly not when you were there first. If other neighbours are complaining too, you should all get together; there's safety (seeing as he's so intimidating) & strength in numbers & WCC can't ignore a whole lot of complaints from a whole lot of people.

I actually wondered if I perhaps I know your neighbour...only the one I know has lived where his for many years & hunts his dogs several times a week. Despite being a reasonably good dog owner, it's always amazed me that he's allowed to keep so many pig dogs in a residential area though!

More
13 years 10 months ago #342184 by Organix

Jack;330648 wrote: ......

But now another question please, what the hell is an Alpha Male ?

Google is your friend [:(!]

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
13 years 10 months ago #342194 by poaka
We had exactly the same problem.. but with fan tail pigeons and we managed to catch the dogs.. Took them all to the Council Pound plus photos of the devastation and pigeons in sacks.. That got them into action..Dogs offed and $6oo out of court settlement .. all arranged by Pound people

Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy. [:)]

3 Beef Roasts and Mince
40 Chicken Roasts and Omelettes
25 Pigeon Pies left after Falcon dined out,. 5 pheasants
plus 3 pig dogs

More
13 years 10 months ago #342209 by PeterNZ
Without going too much into the specifics of this case and others. What really upsets me about cases like this is that there is basically no way out of this miserable situation. I think I understood at one stage that you Stigand were looking for a solution with out having to go down the thorny road of confrontation. The sad truth is, there is none. There is no way out of such a misery which will result in a situation afterwards where you can still invite your neighbor for a BBQ. There is a very high chance that you might be able to enforce some restrictions on them but will end up with the bad atmosphere.

I am talking from experience. We had the neighbors from hell. We had to get a restraining order for them which kept them away from our property. So people said "Oh that's good, so yo have it sorted out now." Wrong! We basically couldn't use the far end of our property at all because of the swearing and stone throwing from the nice neighbors. Every time we drove past their property (we lived further down a no exit road from them) we were scared to get a stone thrown at the car. Of course we then could (and would) have called the police. And probably get our right. But it would have caused even more aggression.

As sad as it might sound, there is no solution except one of them moves out.Which happened in our street. When they moved away the whole street had a party. We meanwhile moved, too. But I can tell you the experience we had with them made us very nervous. We weren't interested in buying some properties just for the fact that other houses were just too close for comfort.

That's what makes me so sad (and mad) about your situation. Many people here give you very good advise. But in the end you still have to live with a neighbor who is even more mad at you. You might have won the first battle but then the war has just started.

Cheers

Peter

Everything you need to make your own cheese at home
www.CottageCrafts.co.nz
[:D]LSB Members will get first order (over $10) shipping cost free. Just mention your LSB user name! [:D]

My private blog (Caution! Contains opinions and thoughts which may offend some viewers.)

Change the World! One Meal...

More
13 years 10 months ago #342252 by LongRidge
As Phaedrus shows, your poultry have rights, even if they are not on your place. If your poultry, or other domestic animal, is on your place, and the neighbours dog is on your place, then you can shoot said dog if it is in the same paddock/enclosure/whatever as your animal and it has caused your animal to move away or become distressed.
In every case, you have to keep your stock in, be they fowl, dogs, cattle, trees, mice or elephants. Dogs are the only domestic animal that you can kill if it is trespassing and being a danger. If your chooks (domestic goats, sheep, cattle, horses, domestic pigs) are being a nuisance when they get into the neighbours place, all he is permitted to do is impound them..Grant's method though is far more diplomatic.
You are permitted to invoice the neighbour for vet bills, killed stock, time taken impounding his animals, and feed when impounded. When you do this, send a copy to the local Council's Animal Control Officer, along with photos of the damage, and the carcases of the dog/s if you have shot any. Before that, write a letter to this person, copy to the neighbour, explaining your problem. Letters work better than phone calls.

More
13 years 10 months ago #342254 by Stigand
Peter, you are very astute as are most of the replys on this matter, I am quite surprised.

Glo Pony, I know Neil Wells, good bloke. The hunter you are talking of is also a neighbour and I have no probs with him, as much as I hate the cruelty of hunting a super intelligent mammal with an equally intelligent one till they rip each other apart the fact is until a biological or chemical control is figured out dogs seem the only solution. The PROFESSIONAL guy you are talking about really looks after his mutts with daily exercise and huge vet bills, I have never heard them bark.

Cinsara, you have summed his wifes position accurately......if I spoke to my wife like what I have heard coming from next door I would be speaking several octaves higher for the rest of my single life.

Political correctness is tyranny with manners

• Jack
13 years 10 months ago #342266 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Difficult Neighbour Ideas Needed
Gidday

Well I am a little more than a bit pissed off Stigan.

Nowhere have I seen you mention that anyone has seen these dogs at your chooks but you are still blaming the dogs and their owner. OK he doesn't sound like an ideal neighbour of a very good dog owner but if you or anyone else has not seen the dogs attacking chooks it could all be a figment of your imagination. More likely what you told your wife was right and it was stoats.

But when I asked how dogs that are locked up can attack neighbours chooks I was called an Alpha Male. That is a term I have not seen before and when I asked what you meant you didn't bother to answer. Therefore I can only presume that what you meant was how you described this neighbour.

""Alpha Male" i.e. talks in grunts, hunts fishes and his is always bigger. Yank tank car, racist tattoos, cant speak quietly"

And how the hell can it be confrontational to ask just one question.

I think that I am due for an apology.

More
13 years 10 months ago #342271 by Ronney

Jack;330801 wrote: Nowhere have I seen you mention that anyone has seen these dogs at your chooks but you are still blaming the dogs and their owner. OK he doesn't sound like an ideal neighbour of a very good dog owner but if you or anyone else has not seen the dogs attacking chooks it could all be a figment of your imagination. More likely what you told your wife was right and it was stoats.

I'm having a bit of trouble with this as well:confused:

Jack, an Alpha Male could be likened to little old ladies with a vile temper and vile mouth beating up on poor defenceless but very large males at one-way bridges :D

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
13 years 10 months ago #342272 by Stigand
Hi Jack, oops I think you better reread the thread, couple of folks suggested you "try google" etc re alpha, one reply about Papa Smurf was pretty witty, and I sort of thought you were joking......By "Alpha Male" I was cynically comparing and suggesting he behaved like the common use of the words when talking about the leader of a Wolf pack, [have heard it used with walrus, Lions etc]; The Alpha is the leader who dominates with bluster, physical strength gets first mating rights treats all females as chattels etc, the next letter in Greek "Beta" and Omega are also used to describe positions in a community. To use the term in the context of a human community as I did is ridiculous and is tantamount to calling someone a caveman I guess......TRY GOOGLE before taking offence.

Twice I said in thread I have evidence and photographs, on one occasion a big male broke into the coop and the door slammed behind him, luckily that pannicked him and he only killed two chooks, it was only found out when his owner came up looking for lost dog and we wandered round and found him trapped. Another time when I seen the dogs attacking and took photos I demanded the owner come up and put the flapping wounded three out of misery in front of me. Please note on most occasions he has offered to pay for dead birds but what he and several posters dont seem to grasp is these birds were my wife PETS, a couple were over 10 and hadn't layed a bloody egg for years........I am aware some Alpha's and a few farmers don't see the relevance in this fact.

Finally you ask for an apology because you have failed to read the posts in their entirety........sure Jack, please accept my heartfelt appologies for any slight you may have felt or indeed felt I inferred, it was unintentional and I value your erudite input into this discussion.

Political correctness is tyranny with manners

• Jack
13 years 10 months ago #342283 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Difficult Neighbour Ideas Needed
Gidday

OK mate. I to apologise cos even though I did re-read all you posts I could not see that so looks like I misread it. I understood it that you had the photos of the dead birds but had not seen the actual attack.

And I do know how old chooks can become friends, I'm married to one. Ooops I guess I shouldn't have said that.

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds