Difficult Neighbour Ideas Needed

More
13 years 10 months ago #24154 by Stigand
I am at my wits end and need a few sensible suggestions.
4 years ago we got a new neighbour, lovely lady husband is an "Alpha Male" i.e. talks in grunts, hunts fishes and his is always bigger. Yank tank car, racist tattoos, cant speak quietly. None of this bothers me I need you to understand the scenario however....he has a pack of pig dogs, these are "tuff guy dogs" mainly the illegal Dogo crosses, huge and unsuitable for dense bush. Anyway since day one these magnificent animals have howled and barked with boredom constantly. Neighbours have complained to noise control, animal welfare and spca. Problem is these dogs are physically healthy but are locked constantly in cages often with no exercise for days. Anyway over the years they have killed my chooks 4 times, I convinced wife it was stoats and always had mess cleaned up; he ran out of warnings this time however when I was away from home and a tearful wife rings cause shes got home and dead chooks gutted all over yard; Rushed home from South Island [bloody things are her pets] told him enough and that i wanted dogs gone, mainly for their own welfare as they get hunted 3-6 times a year and he can stable them with mates in REAL pig country not 20 min from downtown Auck. He refuses, ARC WCC council does nothing, spca toothless. Blah blah blah, ideas please folks.

Political correctness is tyranny with manners

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #342100 by kaybe
First off, let me say how sorry I am that this has happened to your wife's lovely pets. My first reaction would be leave the chook carcasses piled up on his front door with a bill for damages. But that might upset his lovely wife, but then your lovely wife is also upset. I would certainly photograph the evidence and contact your local police station. But I do wonder how it can be his dogs if they are locked up all the time? Is his idea of exercise just to let them loose? Perhaps if you let him know there are poisoned dog baits throughout your property? (I guess that's not an option judging by your avatar photo.) Or that you have a gun and are prepared to use it if you see an animal attacking your livestock on your property?

I know, none of these are terribly useful suggestions, sorry. But I can imagine how angry and frustrated you are, and how upset your wife must be.

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
13 years 10 months ago #342101 by Ghilly
Animal control and keep the dead chooks in the freezer so they can see the damage, a photo of them in the act would have helped too, evidence any evidence. This bloke has obviously got a problem if he needs so many 'tough bloke' things.... to prove what? That he is a man? He's suffering from an identity crisis and the cost of this to you is your chooks and your peace of mind.

Yakut

More
13 years 10 months ago #342102 by GrantK
The previous owners of our place used to breed large dogs such as German Shepherd etc, and they used various means of keeping these dogs where they wanted them.

In your case, you need to keep the neighbour's dogs out of your property, so I would suggest diamond-mesh netting on the boundary fence with electric wires at nose height and also just above the ground so the dogs won't dig under the fence. These measures were used successfully to keep the dogs here in their intended enclosures and paddocks.

If you put the electric wires on the neighbour's side of the boundary fence, there won't be any problems with the chooks encountering them. If your neighbour won't agree to that, then I suggest running the line of netting perhaps half a metre on your side of the fence, supported by Warratah poles with insulators to hold the electric wires on the side that faces the neighbour's property.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
13 years 10 months ago #342103 by SarahM
Maybe just make so that your local newspaper just happens to find out, with photographic evidence.

This happened here in Invercargill, some poor family lost lots of chooks to one dog. Caused an uproar and something was done - because it got in the paper.

5 acres, husband, daughter, son, me, about 12 sheep and their lambs, currently no ram (yay!), 2 Galloways, about 35 chooks, 3 cats and 2 budgies.

More
13 years 10 months ago #342104 by Stigand
Guys, I have documented all killings, apparently chooks [and cats] are not classified as livestock, anyway I do not want the dogs harmed, they simply have kennel rage, i.e. the lack of stimulation means when they ARE released they just run and run; Property is fenced due to other neighbours taking photos everytime they left property and he gets $200 fine. I dont want to get in this whining downwards spiral.
-Its NOT the dogs fault, I am armed and a very experienced hunter, I will not be harming them.
-The only solution I have so far is going to the media, problem is my wife has to go up and down our drive daily walking right next to their house, other neighbours who complain get nasty threatening treatment.
-I would prefer to remain on speaking terms, for her sake.
- I have not emphasised how distressing for me it is to be sitting quietly round the house with my mutts and suddenly hear this distressing plaintive wail every day from a bored and caged dog.
-To save fines he fitted shock collars........everytime one dog barked they would get shock, once they all went mental with pain and I had to drag them out of cages and cut collars off......have you ever heard the scream a dog makes when a twat sets those collars on high?

More
13 years 10 months ago #342105 by Kalmara
Have PM'd you

More
13 years 10 months ago #342108 by Stigand
Hi Kalmara

yes the documentation is all important, my scenario is a bit different in that he has serious money, if he has to get rid of one or two dogs he replaces them with breeder mates ones. His dogs really are healthy, its just the hearing them daily knowing they are confined 23.9 hours a day that brings us down.

I was hoping for a few ideas to avoid alienating him and have pretty much come to the conclusion I will go down to him one evening with his wife present and confront him with a series of letters and articles I will post in Local Newspapers, deliver to neighbours etc with a view to shaming him; I figure if I give him a few days to digest [and read] he may opt to take the easy route rather than read my diatribe in all the local rags. Only real issue will be if I escape without bloodshed[B)]

• Jack
13 years 10 months ago #342109 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Difficult Neighbour Ideas Needed
Gidday

Just one question, iffin these dogs are always locked up and full of kennel rage, how come the kill neighbours chooks?

More
13 years 10 months ago #342117 by Stigand
Gidday Jack, you sound confrontational!!! You ain't an alpha male are you :D
Obviously over the 4 years the dogs have been out once or twice...........in actual fact he does let them run behind his quad bike once or twice a month at night and sometimes on weekends when he's round sometimes they get ley off in yard, iffin he takes his eyes off them and stops screaming to control them for longer than a few minutes they obviously jump the fence, As a result he tends to not let them out.

In all seriousness I genuinely believe if you choose to keep large dogs the onus is on you to give them a serious walk daily, if this doesn't fit with your lifestyle don't own them.

Humans will always crap and be cruel to humans but the mentality that allows a human to be cruel to a "dumb" animal is pretty scarey, check with a few psychologists and the childhood history of folks in prison.

More
13 years 10 months ago #342122 by Dream Weaver
Mate, you have my absolute sympathy. We to are having probs with our neighbours and their bloody pitbull dog thats classified as menacing. Long story short its attacked our dog through the fence last year. Thank god our dog was ok. $3.1/2.000 and put up a 70 meter 6ft fence. Dog has rules like should ALWAYS be muzzled when out of its pen AND supervised. bla bla A son whos nearly 30 lives there with mummy and he is actually the origainal owner of the dog BUT was taken to court a few yeatrs ago and banned from EVER having another dog. He is not allowed or supposed to have anything to do with this pitbull.........yeah right.
Well Tues the pitbull ran and jumped the fence of the neighbour on the otherside of us and attacked the old German Shepherd.................... we wittenessed this. Thank god the old dog was ok, as the one who shouldnt have anything to do with the pitty had been outside with him and managed to tear the pitty off the GS. Anyway ranger was called by the owner of the GS as well as myself who rang.
I have been trying for more than a year to have this dog removed. We are scared to walk our dog down the road through fear of attack. I have written to the mayor twice and have had a meeting last year with the USELESS ranger. I have left 3 messages this week for the ranger to call me and let me know what the outcome of this last attack is to be, concerning more restrictions on this dog. I would have thought it would have been uplifted and put down seeing as its had numerous complaints.
Ok so ranger has stillnot rung me. I am going to write to his senior and if that doesnt do anything then I am seriously considering taking it to the papers. I am at my witts end. It will be another case of a serious mauling or maybe even result in a death the next time this dog attacks. Probably be a human after all the 4 year old grand daughter lives with them now and she is often outside hasselling the dog without supervision!!!!!! The council have known how dangerous this dog is but looks like they will have blood on their hands before anything is done.
Apart from that the neighbours are a law unto themselves. Id love to be free of them.
I guess like us you just have to keep pushing the officials, maybe threaten going to the media if nothing is done. Good luck and many sympathies

More
13 years 10 months ago #342124 by DiDi
Stigand - Jack is not confrontational - just "full heart" confrontational - from someone who has been on this site for many years. Calls a spade a a spade and his question is totally relevant in this situration and I am NOT being confrontational.

From your thread and your determination not to blame the dogs - you are a good person as well because you are so right.

I just read a case recently where after four years the neighbours won and the reason being that they kept a log of the dogs howling, whining etc. Have you other neighbours being affected by this scenario?

I'm not sure what Grant means by diamond fencing (presumably smaller) but whatever you do - do not put sheep netting between your properties. I just experienced such a scenario recently where a neighbours Angora goat put it's head through sheep netting and then the new next door neighbour's dog attacked the goat. Without graphic details, the goat was put down from it's injuries and I was told that the goat owner could not have the dog put down because the goat in effect was on the dog owners property - it's head, leg, side etc. Yeah! I have sheep on the other side of the fence!

Honestly, money has nothing to do with this scenario. Get hold of your dog control people, tell them you are having problems and that you want your complaints/dead hens outcome recorded so that a history file is on record. I can tell you right now that unless you saw the dogs attacking the hens, you may as well be barking up a tree but you can only become the squeeky wheel and - so hope not - when something is seen and recorded, you will get a result. Do you have any animals other than hens?

PS - A camera is your best friend if you can capture the dogs but as you know - it will be the dogs that wear it, not the wealthy ignorant neighbour!

More
13 years 10 months ago #342129 by GrantK

DiDi;330637 wrote: I'm not sure what Grant means by diamond fencing (presumably smaller)...

It's Diamond Mesh netting DiDi. Each square is about 5cm x 5cm so there is no way anything larger than a bird can get through it. Diamond Mesh is also extremely strong, but it doesn't come cheap.

IMO, all the media publicity, photographs and documentation in the world will not be as effective as a good tall fence, high enough that the dogs cannot jump over -- probably about 6 feet high as Smilie says. Otherwise you are just going to keep finding more dead chooks [xx(]

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
13 years 10 months ago #342134 by Stigand
Thanks for bouncing all those ideas guys, Smilie re Pitbulls, I always thought there were no "bad breeds" just bad owners and was dead against spca banning certain breeds but have had a couple of experiences with apparently stable family Pits over the years and are starting to wonder if there is such a thing as a gene that causes instability. Problem is one of the most reliable and stable nanny dogs in the world is a pedigree Staffy and now Pits are banned owners are calling them Staffys and Staffy Crosses and attacks are being reported by our Media as being by Staffordshire Bull Terrier crosses.......obviously a touchy subject for me.

Anyway I'll sign off for now, you guys have got me wondering if its really me with the problem, not being able to handle the constant noise and the poor hounds not getting exercise........ maybe my wifes dead chooks is a secondary issue for me. :confused:

• Jack
13 years 10 months ago #342135 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Difficult Neighbour Ideas Needed
Gidday

Fair enough mate. Question answered.

But now another question please, what the hell is an Alpha Male?

Time to create page: 0.201 seconds