While I have the camera out...a chooky opinion!

More
13 years 9 months ago #23966 by HarryPotter
I bought this young rooster off TM from a breeder who had bought the eggs from a breeder in the SI.....any opinions, good or bad. He has a brother which I also have and is of similar type, perhaps a wee bit darker.

The other rooster that I have posted a photo of is one of two that I hatched from eggs bought from a breeder in Whangarei. Unfortunately both roosters from this clutch have yellow legs whereas the pullets from the batch have whitey-grey legs.

Your views???? Both birds are about three months old

Attached files
File Attachment:
File Attachment:

Sharing the pad with Harry the Australian Terrorist, Penny the Bearded Collie, Bev the Schnauzer/beardie and her daughters Nellie and Charlotte. (Dad was a Hungarian Vizsla) + lots of chooks. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #339790 by Simkin
What breed are they supposed to be? North Holland Blues or Barred Plymouth Rocks?

More
13 years 9 months ago #339803 by Cinsara
NHB Simkin. I hatched 7 eggs from that breeder HP and 2 pullets have yellow legs but the other 2 are fine. The 3 cockerals are non yellow too. The cockeral you got from Pokeno has BR in his parentage too (see link) so there will probably be throwbacks for a few generations yet. I am just going to breed from the correct birds seperating out any yellow offspring and theoretically the BR gene will disappear over time. I'm hoping to get a cockeral from the original group if they ever have a spare one.

www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=234215055

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
13 years 9 months ago #339824 by HarryPotter

Simkin;327888 wrote: What breed are they supposed to be? North Holland Blues or Barred Plymouth Rocks?

They are supposed to be NHB:confused:

Sharing the pad with Harry the Australian Terrorist, Penny the Bearded Collie, Bev the Schnauzer/beardie and her daughters Nellie and Charlotte. (Dad was a Hungarian Vizsla) + lots of chooks. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
13 years 9 months ago #341336 by david brooks
Please readers take note if you are buying eggs from this breeder who is selling them as NHB. They are not. Her line came from Keri Keri and were from NHB crossed with Plymouth Barred Rock.
I have worked so hard to get the correct standard into the new update of the NZ standard,
I have spent 4 years researching this breed and i am one of 4 people who is on the nz standards committee. If any of your readers want pure NHB then please contact me so that i can direct you in the right direction. This breeders knows that her birds are crossed but continues to sell as pure NHB.
I will be writing a book on this breed at a later date.
But please be carefull when buying as some breeders are only interested in your money.

More
13 years 9 months ago #341355 by HarryPotter
Wow, thanks for that info. Yes, I am interested to breed pure NHB and would very much like to get on the right path. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

More
13 years 9 months ago #341369 by Ghilly
Oooh My goodness, you found your camera H.P LOL Now put it somewhere you can see it and get to it. LOL... I've still got those two orphaned stink machines inside, finally growing some real feathers but still too young to go outside. No idea what breed they are, possibly purebred barnyard specials? LOL. If anyone wants to take them on, just let me know. I think one is a rooster, the other a hen, gray with white speckles, black with brown speckles.... I think the black with brown speckles is the rooster..... daft as a couple of brushes....

Yakut

More
13 years 9 months ago #341596 by Cinsara
Thanks for the tip DB, I like HP am hoping to do some work with this breed and am hoping for a SI cockeral in the future or at least some eggs from the source so to speak. There are very obvious BR genes in the birds I hatched (yellow legs) and I am hoping the pink legged birds means the BR gene is recessive? The breeder said she has been working with her birds for 3 years so the BR blood should be on it's way out by now shouldn't it? Is it 5 generations for purebred (exept for the odd throw back)?

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
13 years 9 months ago #341608 by buzzard
First off, there is no such thing as a BR gene, if its yellow legs then half of the other breeds would have it as well. But its recessive to white legs so it can hide for more than just 5 generations, I have heard recessives popping up after 30 years of no sign of it, its not a throwback perse, it hasn't arced over those many generations, its been there all along, just gone unoticed for that time ie those 2 recessives haven't combined from both parents to show what has been masked by the dominant allele.

Also there is no such thing as a purebred chook, chooks dont have stud books like other species do. Also its not an issue of 'pure' this term has an emotive value that people place on it, it is to do with breeding pure or breeding true.

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds