Good/Bad eggs and floating, which way?

More
13 years 10 months ago #23472 by FencerMan
Sorry I know this has been covered before, but do good eggs sink?

Do something.

Either lead, follow, or get out of the way.

'Ted Turner'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #334416 by ddonalds
Bad eggs float.... The air sac expands with age from the microbes etc....

DD

More
13 years 10 months ago #334432 by SarahM
We've had a couple of nests found so far, and have done the water test - we've never had any eggs that float but have had ones that floated on their points. We discarded those.

5 acres, husband, daughter, son, me, about 12 sheep and their lambs, currently no ram (yay!), 2 Galloways, about 35 chooks, 3 cats and 2 budgies.

More
13 years 10 months ago #334433 by Georgeboy

FencerMan;321598 wrote: Sorry I know this has been covered before, but do good eggs sink?

They do when you put them in a pot of boiling water.....yummy :)

2x white Galloway steers, 6 Hens, 3 x Rhodesian Ridgebacks, 1x Boarder Collie and 2 x Cats.......500 Possums!:rolleyes:

• Jack
13 years 10 months ago #334434 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Good/Bad eggs and floating, which way?
Gidday

The ones that float were much sort after when I was a boy. Great for eeling Eh!

More
13 years 10 months ago #334444 by Ghilly
Yep, sink, good, float, bad... but then I had one that sunk and it was SO not good, Vile in fact!

If in doubt..... crack it into a cup or something first. Saves messing up the meal if you're adding the egg to something else and saves messing up the hot pan and having to wash it and reheat it if you're frying or poaching it.... if you're boiling it? yer on yer own [;)] Crack the top once it's cooked and if you feel a sudden urge to leave the room or you think someone has made a rude smell, I'd guess it's iffy.

Yakut

More
13 years 10 months ago #334459 by Sue
The old eggs float because the air cell has enlarged to the egg losing moisture through its pores and it becomes lighter. As well as this the older eggs can be full of growing bacteria which also cause the air cell to fill with very whiffy fumes! But old light eggs are not always bad eggs-but I wouldn't risk it!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
13 years 9 months ago #334488 by Cinsara

FencerMan;321598 wrote: Sorry I know this has been covered before, but do good eggs sink?

Like a stone :D

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
13 years 9 months ago #334494 by igor
The pigs don't care if they are rotten. They will eat them anyway. Once our boars got out and one of them found an abandoned nest full of rotten duck eggs. His breath didn't half stink when I grabbed him to put him back in the pen.

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds