Getting the front wheel off a Bolans Rideon?

More
13 years 10 months ago #23409 by Ghilly
I have finally been able to remove the Circlip from the front wheel of the Bolans ride on.... now the wheel STILL won't come off. Can't see anything that could be holding it on but there is obviously something I have overlooked. Kim's had a look and consulted the manual ... nothing. The other front wheel falls off constantly, or has done in the past but this one was a mission even to get the clip off it. I finally got the clip off with the edge of a spade. We've broken two sets of Circlip pliers trying to get it off in the past. I tried a screwdriver, a jemmy, the claws on a hammer and finally the spade. Yay! I thought.. obviously a little bit prematurely. The tyre is flat and the two foot pumps we've had were useless, one had a leak and the other one broke off at the hose so we can't pump it up to see where the leak is and we can't get it around to the garage either (just around the corner).

There doesn't seem to be any reason why it won't come off, it's not rusted or seized, it spins freely on the axle. When I try to pull it off, it won't move more than a couple of mm before it hits something solid. There doesn't appear to be anything holding it on now the circlip is off......
So.... what's the magic word to get it off?
Bloody thing is driving me nuts!!!!! If it's not one thing it's another and none of these things have been a simple fix it job. Being American, all the parts are imperial measurements and you just about need to stand on your head with you're tongue set in a particular position and one eye closed before it can be mended..... mutter mutter mutter..... must be a 'bloke thing' mutter mutter.... 'never as easy as it could be' mutter mutter, 'firey hoops', mutter mutter 'shouldn't have to jump through hoops just to get a flaming tyre off' mutter mutter mutter... 'I need a cup of tea and a fag!'

Yakut

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #333646 by Stu_R
:) Yakut ... super cheap autos sell a cheap and nasty litlle compressor thing ( $19.95) that runs from ciggy lighter in your car ... :) we have one of those and i use it lots on ride-on tyres as cant be bothered ( read usually forgotten about the bloody thing till i need to use it) bringing it into town to get fixed.

Had trouble getting wheel of the axle on the Countarch mower we have to ... in the end soak sprayed it with CRC and left it over night ... came off first tug next morning :)
Could be worth giving yours a good spray to :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
13 years 10 months ago #333655 by Ghilly
This doesn't feel like it's 'stuck' more like there is something else holding it on. It's quite free/ loose but won't ruddy well come off.

Kim mentioned getting one of those compressor thingys... wake up the neighbourhood noisy apparently but it beats using a foot pump that sends the air out of a hole in the hose (broken connection) while you work like a beaver trying to pump the tyre up and keep giving it a squeeze to find it just as flat as when you started.

We have a rotary mower as well but the hitch with that was we had no petrol to put in it and I only remember this fact when I think about mowing the lawn... usually broke around the same time so can't get any petrol. I made a purposeful trip to get some petrol today and found the can I thought empty, was half full! Typical! We'd already made plans to go out and get some petrol while we were out so that blew that plan out of the water. Maybe if the weather holds out I can mow the lawns tomorrow with the rotary. It's only a wee model and the shute where the grass is supposed to come out and into the catcher is half the width of the body so it clogs up within a few metres. Bad design which I shall keep in mind next time I go looking for a lawn mower. I think it was designed for trimming pocket hanky lawns but we only wanted it to get around the places where the ride on wouldn't go.

Buggar, I'll take the torch out and have another poke around the stubborn wheel while the goats are eating their feed.. maybe, they've probably finished now so I'd better get out there.

Yakut

More
13 years 10 months ago #333660 by Stu_R
Yakut ... :) um not OSH approved lol .. but i find that when using rotray with no catcher ... :) a piece of wire to hold the drop down flap thingy up works bloody wonders :) .. doesnt clog up at all ... * does help if you wear leggings over the top of your gummy's though when use like that * :) lol

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
13 years 10 months ago #333701 by Ghilly
Yeah, I don't tend to use the catcher, it's got nothing to catch anyway, it all ends up being mulched cos there's no way out for the clippings. All going well, there is enough 'draft' to hold the 'door' open and the grass clipping blow downwards. I wouldn't use it opened out cos any stones or sticks become missiles. I have a bit of wire that holds up the flap on the rideon, that shoots out the side.

Doing the driveway is a test of the nervous system. Tootling along and KAPOW CLANG CLANG CLONK. 'Shit!' I say, 'there's another chunk out of the blade!' I try to clear the stones off the grass bits but there's always one or two that I miss. I shrink up like a snail retreating into it's shell, eyes blink shut for a second 'eeeewwwwwww', and hope it doesn't hit something important.

Yakut

More
13 years 10 months ago #333713 by Stikkibeek

Yakut;320820 wrote: I shrink up like a snail retreating into it's shell, eyes blink shut for a second 'eeeewwwwwww', and hope it doesn't hit something important.

Yakut

Like a neighbour's glass-house :D

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
13 years 10 months ago #333724 by kalnetta
You have probably burred the axle at the end .Push the wheel back on as far as it will go then with a file clean up the end of the axle if you look at the end it will be be bigger than further back on the shaft.

View Hill Oxford ,23 ewes 2 lambs ,1 ram,, 1cat,the 2 of us,6 granddaughters,one grandson,2 surrogate granddaughters and one step grandson,poor boy.

More
13 years 10 months ago #333729 by Ghilly
I've checked the axle, it's ok, something else is holding it on, it doesn't feel like it's jammed or stuck, it moves a couple of mm and then you can hear something solid, like there is another clip or something but there isn't. The wheel spins freely on the axle.

When the other wheel fell off, it was because the circlip had pinged off never to be seen again. The mechanic over the road gave us another one, it could have done with a couple of washers cos it wobbled and the circlip pinged off again... and again.... learning from this rather long lesson, we got some washers. We searched high and low for another Circlip. The Auto shop had run out of them and no one else seemed to stock them. When we finally found one, it was from a on old Bolans at a lawn mower shop....
Only one washer wasn't enough to hold it from wobbling and that clip went west as well... or east or north or south... couldn't find it.

I went back to the auto shop and found a little packet of different sizes.

Two washers went on and the clip and all were painted with bright pink nail polish from the $2 shop. So far it has stayed on... which is why I can't figure out why the other wheel won't come off!? The other wheel didn't seem to have a problem coming off without any help, once the clip had flown off.

Yakut

More
13 years 10 months ago #333734 by Stikkibeek
It doesn't have a cotter pin holding it on does it? Sometimes they will be stuck through the end of things like axles. Sometimes the end of things look like a castle turret with battlements, (but not always) and the cotter will be quite visible. Suggest you clean the end of the axle with a little petrol if there is grease present and with a good light, have a look for a pin cotter or tapered that is holding it. Cotter you can take out with a good pair of pliers, tapered, you will have to identify the narrow end and punch it out. .

More
13 years 10 months ago #333738 by Ghilly
The axle is smooth as a babies ......
The wheel spins, the axle doesn't if there's anything holding it, it will be on the inside of the tyre rim..... which is pretty close to the washer and 'hub' of the axle barely room to squeeze the tip of a screwdriver in, if that. I'm talking a couple, maybe three mm. I even unscrewed the grease nipple and took it out, had a poke around to see if there was anything in the hole where it unscrewed from, nothing that I could see or feel with an awl. No screw slot of anything.

We're going out shortly but I may have another scrutinizing session when we get back.
The axles are fixed, sort of like the front wheels of the cart I made. Iron rod, wheel on that and I think Dad put a split pin through the axle to hold the wheel on. The rod was held on to a length of wood with nails bent over the rod. The wood holding the axle was bolted in the middle to the body of the cart so I could turn the front wheels with a bit of rope. Wheels turned, axle didn't. It's the same on the ride on wheel... well not the wood part obviously but the wheel is held on to the axle by the circlip....... and something else it seems.

I'm planning on gathering nuts in September at this rate [:o)] :p

Each time I go out and have a look, I think, I'll figure it out.. there HAS to be something I've missed...... I KNOW there's something I've missed!!!!
I've just about stood on my head trying to look at all angles. Yee ha!

Yakut

More
13 years 10 months ago #333744 by Stikkibeek
I'll check with the OH when he gets home. He took the wheels off an MTD a while ago and although it's a longshot, he might have had the same thing to deal with

An update.

OH couldn't quite remember what those wheels looked like, but he says the most likely thing that has happened, is that the bush (If it has one instead of a bearing) has worn a flange on it, which makes the wheel tighten as it gets pulled off.

Sounds like a wheel puller may be the answer to getting it off.

More
13 years 10 months ago #334442 by Ghilly
I knocked the buggar off! (As Sir Ed put it) No, really, I used the shaft on a G clamp, put one end against the inside of the hub of the wheel and gave the other end a whack with the hammer. It moved, so I hit it again, it fell off!!!!

I talked to the local mechanic today and he said it should come off if the Circlip was removed. I was waiting for the goats to finish eating and had a look at it.... I had 'a moment' ... an 'epiphany' if you like.... tap the inside of the hub with something .... ! I then jumped about singing "I got the wheel off, I got the wheel off nya nya nya nya nya, nya nya nya nya nya, YES! I got the wheel off, I got the wheel off." I think the goats thought I'd lost the plot as I went out and brushed the hay off Delias back and gathered the remaining feed bins chanting the story of my achievements and hopping about like an African bushman.

Tee hee!

Blowed if I know what was stopping it from just sliding off, I've sprayed it with CRC, I've used a file around where it could have had burrs, even though I couldn't see or feel any, I've tried to jemmy it off..... a simple technical tap! Who would have thought!

Yakut

More
13 years 10 months ago #334443 by kate
When in doubt, hit it with a hammer :D

Web Goddess

More
13 years 10 months ago #334447 by PalmyCol
And of course don't forget the golden rule, "when in doubt, get a bigger hammer" :D

More
13 years 10 months ago #334495 by Georgeboy
We will all wait with baited breath to see if you can get the B****Y thing back on !! :)

2x white Galloway steers, 6 Hens, 3 x Rhodesian Ridgebacks, 1x Boarder Collie and 2 x Cats.......500 Possums!:rolleyes:

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds