home made incubator for eggs

More
13 years 11 months ago #23379 by city gal
Does anyone have any plans for how to make a home made incubator or where i could find some plans or a cheap incubator all the ones i see are two fifty thought i could make one cheaper just don't know where to start

any ideas :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #333255 by Ginnel
Replied by Ginnel on topic home made incubator for eggs
We made one from a polystyrene fish box, a light bulb and holder, a relay, a central heating controller a PC cooling fan, a pool thermometer and some other stuff we had lying around... I am sure that google would sort you out a design ;)

The battery in the temp switch ran out and we lost the clutch of pheasants....

"If you see crows then they be rooks, if you see a rook then that be a crow."

More
13 years 11 months ago #333256 by Denneaux
Here is a good place to go for inspiration www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=316076

I keep looking at my $200 incubator and thinking "I could have done better"

Unless stated, the above post is not meant as criticism.

Go back and read it again in your HAPPY voice!

More
13 years 11 months ago #333559 by Desert Rat
I made one using a box inside a larger box, insulated with a couple of scraps of pink batts. The "hen" is a 25W light bulb and the secret ingredient is a Jaycar Tempmaster MK II with a modification to keep a constant 38 degrees (I think it was a 12 ohm resistor in series with the 3.3K one alongside the trimpot).

This setup hatched out 6 of 10 Black Orpington eggs last spring, and I would have gotten eight if we hadn't had a 5-hour power cut while I was away on day 19...two fully developed chicks failed to pip. But the insulation kept things warm enough for the rest to survive. I pretty much followed Bill Worrell's method www.backyardchickens.com/LC-DryIncubation.html

Nothing beats a banty, though....

First rule of holes: When you're in one, stop digging.

More
13 years 11 months ago #333652 by Inger
Replied by Inger on topic home made incubator for eggs
And for those who want the ready made versions - buy a Brinsea. They cost a bit, but they are reliable. Unlike my Hovabators. :(

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

More
13 years 11 months ago #333958 by Ellyce
Replied by Ellyce on topic home made incubator for eggs
Hi Desert Rat, I'm looking at getting a Jaycar Tempmaster MK II for controller temperature in a waterbath at 37deg. Do you know what sort of accuracy this controller could maintain a set temp? Just roughly I guess, I'm looking for atleast +/- 1 deg C but preferably +/- 0.5 deg C.

More
12 years 7 months ago #398155 by stownley
Hi, It's probably too late but I have a tempmaster II I modified to use in my hova-bator. I put a 1K resistor in series with the 3.3K (pulled one leg of the 3.3K out of the board and put one leg of the 1K back in the board and soldered the two free legs together. I set the voltage between TPG and TP1 to 3.115V, this gives me between 37.0C- 37.5C with a dry unit. I also found this controller to hunt a little just before it turns the heater off (the crackle wakes the wife up at night so I had to fix it :)), which is probably due to the ripple from my 12V power supply, so I put a 4.7uF 64V electrolytic capacitor across con3 - positive side toward Q1 (I used this value cos I had it sitting, A better choice would be a electrolytic 1000uF 16V), problem solved. If you need smaller than 0.5C swing, we'd need to adjust the hysteresis by changing the 10M feedback resistor.

More
12 years 7 months ago #398239 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic home made incubator for eggs
Get a Cochin hen! Nothing beats them. I had one sitting on 23 eggs and all fertile ones hatched (sadly only 15 were fertile).

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds