North Holland Blue

More
13 years 11 months ago #334754 by Arden Poultry
Replied by Arden Poultry on topic North Holland Blue

Kermitnz;321938 wrote: Hi Guys :D

I thought you might enjoy a couple of photos of our North Holland Blues.

These were only taken a week or so ago and they are still very young... McGoo the Roo is only 18 weeks old, one of the pullets is 18 weeks as well and the other two are 20 weeks.

McGoo is a real character, he is so lovely but what a goof lol, he's a hard case friendly wee guy, I just love him. The girls are not quite as friendly but not scatty either so I'm enjoying them as well.

I thought NHBs had red lobes,your cockerel has white??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #334759 by Kermitnz
Replied by Kermitnz on topic North Holland Blue
Hi Arden, Yes his lobes were quite a bit white when they started growing, as were the girls (I wonder if this is just the way they are, start whitish and then redden as they mature), the girls are all red now. As you can see from this pic taken at the same time, the red starting to coming through. And now they are almost completely red. Or could they have come in pale because they were raised in little runs so didn't get much sun for a start and now they have been free ranging for a month or so they are reddening up? hmmmm

Attached files [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/322008=5375-Copy of Picture 029.jpg[/img]

Kermit & Tribe... 6 children (Tristan, Calem, Kaidan, Chloe, Sophie-Jaymz & Tess, 1 Grandson, Sebastian), 1 Cat (Bella) ...Waimate

More
13 years 11 months ago #334765 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic North Holland Blue
Hi kermit,

I think your birds look nice. There wouldn't be any challenge if they all were perfect.

Sometimes pale ear lobes redden up when the bird becomes sexually mature. If they are white they stay white but as your girls have the correct ear lobe colour you'll be able to breed them to the standard.

More
13 years 11 months ago #334771 by Kermitnz
Replied by Kermitnz on topic North Holland Blue

Simkin;322014 wrote: Hi kermit,

I think your birds look nice. There wouldn't be any challenge if they all were perfect.

Sometimes pale ear lobes redden up when the bird becomes sexually mature. If they are white they stay white but as your girls have the correct ear lobe colour you'll be able to breed them to the standard.

Hiya Simpkin :D , thank you.

As far as breeding them to standard I blimmin hope so :eek:, as they are from the untouched original line that came in from Holland, so if that line itself has developed a fault we're pretty knackered as we definitely don't want to bring anything else into the mix lol.

His lobes are going red so that's great. and I have another cockerel arriving in the spring that is obviously related, but a cousin, so I will see what he is like too.

If he throws the odd white lobe I will cull out as much as I have to and hopefully be able to get rid of it completely within a couple of generations by putting red lobed son back over his red lobed mother.... well that's the plan stan :D

Hopefully it won't happen, but you have to be prepared to do what you have to do to make sure you are doing the best by the breed.

Kermit & Tribe... 6 children (Tristan, Calem, Kaidan, Chloe, Sophie-Jaymz & Tess, 1 Grandson, Sebastian), 1 Cat (Bella) ...Waimate

More
13 years 10 months ago #334887 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic North Holland Blue
Been watching this thread (as well as the Dorking one) closely. I only have 4 NHBs, 3 cockerels and a pullet. 3 of the 4 were hatched from pullets' eggs, so quite small compared to their slightly older (by about 8 weeks) half-brother, who is HUGE, friendly, and just an all round lovely boy (and he's only 8 months old... can't believe his size!). The pullet is tiny. All the eggs I hatched last year were from Ann Hill as well. The youngest boy is also quite small and odd-looking, so I probably won't be using him at all.

More
13 years 2 months ago #370244 by david brooks
Replied by david brooks on topic North Holland Blue
North Holland Blue Poultry.
In New Zealand we do have NHB and yes eggs were imported into the lincoln college.
The breed in New Zealand should be cleaned legged and if you find that you have a feathered leg then in this country it is a cross as all birds at Lincoln were cleaned legged. The new standard is now passed by both the North & South Associations and will show in the next updates of the nz Standard. If you have the breed then you will be able to show them this year if any person has a problem trying to show them please make contact with me so that it can be looked into. I do hope to submit an artical into the life style block magazine later with all of my research material. No we do not have Marans in nz. The lobe should be red however both here and in Holland odd birds turn up with the white lobe and some breeders here have been mating these birds due to the shortage and have found in the second Generation they have thrown the red lobe. Many breeders are crossing NHB with Plymouth rock to increase size and get the correct lobe colour. So Buyers beware. Most of the male birds here in nz are almost up to the correct standard however the females here are quite dark compared with birds on the show bench in Holland. Kermit hens are close to type but to dark as are most of our stock so room for improvement. If buyers want information contact me so that i can direct you in the right direction. Thanks Ingar as I have been working very hard with this breed to have our present standard changed so that we can show the breed as per the country of origin.

More
12 years 10 months ago #382725 by Cinsara
Replied by Cinsara on topic North Holland Blue
Just dredging up an old thread :-)

david brooks;361880 wrote: The breed in New Zealand should be cleaned legged

Why? A judge brought this to my attention a few weeks back. The NZ Poultry Standard was drawn up in conjunction with the British Poultry Standard and their NHB's have feathered legs.
I know the birds are from Holland therefore clean legged but shouldn't we be trying to breed leg feathers into them (heaven forbid) to stay true to the British standard?

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
12 years 10 months ago #382788 by buzzard
Replied by buzzard on topic North Holland Blue
Why? Because they come from Holland not the UK.

The North Hollands were in the UK before the Fench standard Marans so rather than (heaven forbid) keeping to both breed's country of origin's satandard which is feathered shanked Marans and clean shanked North Hollands, they change them both. Yes - 2 wrongs make a right, so we copy this in our standard?

More
12 years 10 months ago #382803 by Cinsara

buzzard;376142 wrote: Yes - 2 wrongs make a right, so we copy this in our standard?

:D
So not all of our poultry standards are British based then despite what is inferred. The trouble with saying one thing and meaning another is it confuses me :confused:

>

More
12 years 10 months ago #382817 by Inger
Replied by Inger on topic North Holland Blue
The British standard was changed arbitarily, so they could distinguish between two different breeds in Britain. One breed had been in England for a long time and when the new breed (North Holland Blues) were imported to England from Holland, the breeders of the existing breed wouldn't change their breed standard, so it was decided in England that in order to differentiate the two breeds, the new comer breed had to change. (Not all decisions made in England were sensible).

Yes, our Breed standards tend to follow the British standard, but since our North Holland Blue genetics came directly from Holland, to me, it makes sense to go with the Dutch breed standard for NHBs as they are the country of origin.

Hope that clears up the reason for changing the NZ breed standard. :)

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

More
12 years 10 months ago #382902 by buzzard

Cinsara;376158 wrote: :D
The trouble with saying one thing and meaning another is it confuses me :confused:

but for you to say this, you would have to know exactly what I meant, so why the confusion?

But trivialities aside, if you want to stay true to a british standard of a dutch breed, go for it, it would be the easiest thing to do actually. Breed one of your North Holland males over a Langshan hen, and mate the resultant pullets back over another Nth Holland male again, keep all feathered shanked offsrpring and away you go!
However, the irony here is that if you were to do that, then you would be making steps to creating a French Standard Silver cuckoo Marans, and my punt would be that if you were to jag some pulm-dark terracotta laying feathered legged cuckoo's you would want to call them French Standard Marans in a real hurry.

More
12 years 10 months ago #382948 by Puddleduck
Replied by Puddleduck on topic North Holland Blue
I am looking for a NHB roo if anyone knows of a good one for sale. :)

More
12 years 10 months ago #382973 by Cinsara

buzzard;376265 wrote: but for you to say this, you would have to know exactly what I meant, so why the confusion?

I meant when I'm told our standards align with the British ones and then I find out they sometimes don't, it lays it wide open for possible confusion, nothing to do with what you have personally posted...and it was a little tongue in cheek :p I have no desire to breed leg feathers, it makes perfect sense to breed to the Dutch standard now that I understand the Brits did a dumb thing.

>

More
12 years 10 months ago #382978 by Inger
Replied by Inger on topic North Holland Blue
Puddleduck, There is a breeder in Kaikohe who has birds from two South Island bloodlines. She's the nearest breeder to you, that I know of. I don't like to put people's contact details on the internet without their permission, so if you email me (click on myh name in the left hand column of this posting and you'll see the link to email me), then I can email you the information directly.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

More
12 years 10 months ago #383045 by buzzard

Cinsara;376341 wrote: it lays it wide open for possible confusion

most poultry breed standards (world wide) are open to confusion/interpretation in some way, I suppose that's what makes it interesting when measurements are subjective.

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds