North Holland Blue

More
13 years 11 months ago #331377 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic North Holland Blue
Ok, this makes sense now :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #331442 by SarahM
Replied by SarahM on topic North Holland Blue
Hi everyone. I've got my result book here of the Invercargill Poultry Show. The winners of the Dorking section were (surnames):

Clark/Stevens (Balfour)
Wilson (Riverton)
Sinclair (Invercargill)
Frazer (Rangiora) - geez they travelled a long way!

The surname of the lady I am getting my Dorkings from tomorrow is Hill, and she is at Winton.

5 acres, husband, daughter, son, me, about 12 sheep and their lambs, currently no ram (yay!), 2 Galloways, about 35 chooks, 3 cats and 2 budgies.

More
13 years 11 months ago #331443 by SarahM
Replied by SarahM on topic North Holland Blue
Hi I've got the show catalogue for the recent Southland Poultry Show.

NHB section seems to be dominated by people of surname Flawn S & W (not sure if that's a Sarah) - they are from Invercargill. Also someone by the name of Day from Otautau got a 3rd place cockeral.

If anyone wants names etc of different breeders down here, I've got the show catalogue here. It's public information.

5 acres, husband, daughter, son, me, about 12 sheep and their lambs, currently no ram (yay!), 2 Galloways, about 35 chooks, 3 cats and 2 budgies.

More
13 years 11 months ago #332609 by HarryPotter
Replied by HarryPotter on topic North Holland Blue
The breeder that I got the roosters from came into my cafe today and i got on chatting letting her know the birds had settled in well. The name of the breeder was an Anne not Sarah like I thought.

Sharing the pad with Harry the Australian Terrorist, Penny the Bearded Collie, Bev the Schnauzer/beardie and her daughters Nellie and Charlotte. (Dad was a Hungarian Vizsla) + lots of chooks. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
13 years 11 months ago #333618 by Cinsara
Replied by Cinsara on topic North Holland Blue
I won the auction this time and took both cockerals as the other trade winner hadn't made contact. One is nicely evenly marked and the other has muted chest colour but darker lacing/cuckooing on the back and he is the bigger of the two. As HP said the breeder was Anne and I think she said the husband was Ian but I'm not sure. I will grow them both on then make my choice. If I manage to get the cockeral I want I will be able to have 2 pens.

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
13 years 11 months ago #333712 by HarryPotter
Hey Cinsara....Dorrie has just been into the cafe and dropped off a copy of an article on NHB from an English magazine.

The breeders of the eggs that our roos come from are Allan and Ann Hill from Winton.

Sharing the pad with Harry the Australian Terrorist, Penny the Bearded Collie, Bev the Schnauzer/beardie and her daughters Nellie and Charlotte. (Dad was a Hungarian Vizsla) + lots of chooks. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
13 years 11 months ago #333719 by buzzard
Replied by buzzard on topic North Holland Blue
Ann has some very good NHBs, and you couldn't get a nicer person. Some of her chooks are very big as far as NHBs go and are all tremendous layers.
people with them (me included) recognise that the breed needs work but there are those that are giving it a fair crack and Ann is one of them.

More
13 years 11 months ago #333725 by HarryPotter
That is great to know buzzard. I am glad to hear that they are good layers. I am just going to have a small flock of them I think and work alongside others to improve the breed and establish it a bit further. They really are very pretty birds but I would say that the two pullet chicks I have are very much darker than the roosters. I will be posting photos shortly for others to see and to get some opinions on them.

More
13 years 11 months ago #333916 by Cinsara
I got 3 pullets out of the ones I hatched and one has yellow legs so she will go into the eggs for eating paddock. I will see if the remaining 2 breed true with the Winton cockeral.

>

More
13 years 11 months ago #333968 by HarryPotter

Cinsara;321056 wrote: I got 3 pullets out of the ones I hatched and one has yellow legs so she will go into the eggs for eating paddock. I will see if the remaining 2 breed true with the Winton cockeral.

If you don't mind me asking Cinsara, where did you get those eggs from? Just so as I can make a note. :) :)

More
13 years 11 months ago #334067 by Cinsara
I'd rather not say HP as I don't want to bad mouth anyone but it was the same breeder Dorrie got some yellow legged ones from if she mentioned them to you. I did get some eggs from a breeder up north and they are all good so far but time will tell I suppose as they are still very young.

>

More
13 years 11 months ago #334071 by buzzard
Hi Cinsara and HP,
it could be beneficial to do some test crosses with the birds if you want to breed with them, no matter where you got them from.
the key identifying genes that make up a north holland blue are all dominant therefore, recessive allelles can hide inbehind a dominant phenotype.
bit like a mud solid black mud guard, you can only see the the outside, looks ok but look underneath and there could be a few surprises. And this is what is happening with the NHB. Itss not a matter of pure blood or purity in the old fashioned sense, its amatter of purebreeding or as you put it Cinsara breeding true.
It would be different if the mud guard was clear/transparent that you could see right through in the case of a recessive
but beauty is once youve looked underneath, cleaned it, and parked the car in the gargage, you'll never have to wash it again or even have to look.

More
13 years 11 months ago #334082 by Cinsara
Thanks buzzard :-) I imagine a few surprises will raise their ugly heads in the future with such a new to NZ breed. I hope my SI cockeral contact remembers me :-)

>

More
13 years 11 months ago #334223 by buzzard
Cheers Cinsara, they're a good breed of chook. Best of luck with them

More
13 years 11 months ago #334706 by Kermitnz
Replied by Kermitnz on topic North Holland Blue
Hi Guys :D

I thought you might enjoy a couple of photos of our North Holland Blues.

These were only taken a week or so ago and they are still very young... McGoo the Roo is only 18 weeks old, one of the pullets is 18 weeks as well and the other two are 20 weeks.

McGoo is a real character, he is so lovely but what a goof lol, he's a hard case friendly wee guy, I just love him. The girls are not quite as friendly but not scatty either so I'm enjoying them as well.

Attached files [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/321938=5369-Picture 025.jpg[/img] [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/321938=5371-Picture 031.jpg[/img] [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/321938=5372-Picture 036.jpg[/img] [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/321938=5370-Picture 037.jpg[/img]

Kermit & Tribe... 6 children (Tristan, Calem, Kaidan, Chloe, Sophie-Jaymz & Tess, 1 Grandson, Sebastian), 1 Cat (Bella) ...Waimate

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds