North Holland Blue

More
14 years 19 hours ago #330677 by Cinsara
Replied by Cinsara on topic North Holland Blue
Speaking of eggs and up and coming chook experts, has anyone heard from/about cjcallum? Wonder how he's getting on.

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 17 hours ago #330689 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic North Holland Blue
Thanks for enlightening us Kermintz, very interesting. Keep up the good work and why not get them listed on the rare breeds site? Do they lay white or tinted eggs?

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
14 years 17 hours ago #330691 by Kermitnz
Replied by Kermitnz on topic North Holland Blue
You're welcome :) , I definitely will list them Sue. I am going to work hard to get my numbers up first, as I am starting with only 3 pullets that are only 20 weeks old now, and one wee cockerel, that is only 16 weeks old. So won't be hatching until the wee girls have been laying for a few months to get the egg size up.

I also have another wee roo arriving at the beginning of the season as we all tend to keep 2 roos for ourselves and back up roos for each other in case of losses or infertility etc... as well as wanting to spread the gene pool out which is difficult with so few of them. I think the wee roo I have coming is a second cousin to the girls, so pretty good for how far along things are as far as breeding lots go. The wee guy I have here is from the same breeder of the girls who split the line years ago to widen the genetic pool as much as he could without brining any other blood in.

To be honest, I have never seen an egg from this line, although I'm pretty sure Dave said they were lightly tinted, so maybe just an off white? I will let you know as soon as I get one :D

Kermit & Tribe... 6 children (Tristan, Calem, Kaidan, Chloe, Sophie-Jaymz & Tess, 1 Grandson, Sebastian), 1 Cat (Bella) ...Waimate

More
14 years 14 hours ago #330703 by HarryPotter
Replied by HarryPotter on topic North Holland Blue
I have just hatched four NHB successfully out of six. They are about five weeks old and came from a breeder from Whangarei and I would say that there are two pullets and two roos. What I have noticed is that the roosters are much lighter than the pullets. Is this a trait? They all indeed have light legs and i am now intrigued as to the extent of the barring so I will go and check that tomorrow. Their legs are also free of feathers.
Thank you for your help Kermitnz

Sharing the pad with Harry the Australian Terrorist, Penny the Bearded Collie, Bev the Schnauzer/beardie and her daughters Nellie and Charlotte. (Dad was a Hungarian Vizsla) + lots of chooks. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
14 years 14 hours ago #330704 by Inger
Replied by Inger on topic North Holland Blue
Be assured, there is work going on behind the scenes, to get the NZ breed standard on North Holland Blues, the same as the Dutch standard. Which is afterall, the country of origin. These things take time. In the meantime, a few breeders are keeping the clean leg bloodlines pure, so once we have sorted out the NZ rules, it will be possible to buy purebred NHBs in NZ. These birds were imported from Holland.

There are NO Marans in NZ. They were never imported. So there is no use looking for them. You may find look-a-likes, but we don't have purebreds in this country.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

More
14 years 13 hours ago #330721 by Cinsara

HarryPotter;317443 wrote: What I have noticed is that the roosters are much lighter than the pullets. Is this a trait?

In the BR the lad always has more defined barring than the girls giving the impression of lighter so I'm assuming the NHB are the same, I have 4 pullets and 3 cockerals I think. Ingers lighter BR are easy to sex at day old too as the lads are grey and the girls dark.

>

More
14 years 11 hours ago #330736 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic North Holland Blue

Inger;317444 wrote:
There are NO Marans in NZ. They were never imported. So there is no use looking for them. You may find look-a-likes, but we don't have purebreds in this country.

So why are Marans in the NZ Poultry Standard then:confused::confused:

More
14 years 11 hours ago #330737 by Simkin
That's very interesting, Kermit. I hope your birds will thrive so that you'll be able to breed more of them.

More
13 years 11 months ago #331123 by HarryPotter
Replied by HarryPotter on topic North Holland Blue
Well, I won the auction above and picked the young bird up this afternoon. I was up against another contender (not Cinsara) and paid in the end $34.00. As it turned out I know the lady who sold the birds as a good customer of the cafe and she threw in a smaller NHB rooster for free so I was really chuffed. I am really taken with this breed, they are smart looking birds.

The eggs originated from a breeder in Winton, I can't remember the name I was given but it may have been Sarah???? Does that name ring a bell with anyone down that way?

Sharing the pad with Harry the Australian Terrorist, Penny the Bearded Collie, Bev the Schnauzer/beardie and her daughters Nellie and Charlotte. (Dad was a Hungarian Vizsla) + lots of chooks. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
13 years 11 months ago #331129 by Simkin
Winton rings a bell with me - they advertised quite a lot at the beginning of last breeding season.

More
13 years 11 months ago #331163 by Cinsara

HarryPotter;317948 wrote: I was up against another contender (not Cinsara) and paid in the end $34.00.

I put an auto bid of $10 then forgot about it which is probably good as I have since put my finger in another pie as far as sourcing a cockeral.

>

More
13 years 11 months ago #331306 by Inger
Hi Simkin, yes you might well ask why lots of breeds are in the NZ Poultry Breeds Standard book. There are numerous breeds in that book that aren't actually in NZ. Perhaps its in the hope that someone may import them one day. One how many millionaires there are, who would import the eggs of new breeds into NZ and pay for all the MAF costs along the way. Its covered in expensive red tape.

Those of us breeding Devon Black pigs have been hoping for a breakthrough in getting semen into NZ, in order to widen the gene pool here, but its been 5 years and waiting. Eventually it'll happen, but MAF aren't in any hurry to write the protocol for us to start the process. A lot of us would put money into the effort, but first we need the regulations worked out, so we've got a method to go about getting it done legally. If its not a commercial proposition, then we go to the back of the queue.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.

More
13 years 11 months ago #331321 by Simkin
Inger, sorry, but your comment doesn't make sense.

There are hundreds of poultry breeds out there that have NEVER been in New Zealand and you may well be aware that there are 5 Hard Feather breeds, 15 heavy breeds, 12 light breeds, 5 true bantams and an assortment of reference standards in the 2nd edition of the NZ Poultry Standard.

I haven't counted the number of breeds on Feathersite for instance but there are hundreds. It just does not make sense to me that for some obscure reason the Maran was included into the NZ Poultry Standard 'in the hope that someone would import them' while a hundred other breeds were left out. Sorry.

The heavy breeds in the NZ Poultry Standard are:
Australorp
Barnevelder
Chinese Langshan
Croad Langshan
Dorking
Faverolle
Frizzle
Maran
North Holland Blue
New Hampshire Red
Orpington
Plymouth Rock
Rhode Island
Sussex
Wyandotte

The Maran happens to be the only breed in this list which I haven't seen alive and well with my own eyes yet. There is no light breed included in the NZ Poultry Standard which I haven't seen yet.

And maybe - just maybe - the North Holland Blue is the Maran after all.

More
13 years 11 months ago #331326 by Cinsara

Simkin;318170 wrote: And maybe - just maybe - the North Holland Blue is the Maran after all.

DNA testing ?

>

More
13 years 11 months ago #331330 by Inger
Well there are geese varieties etc that are in there, which we don't have in NZ anymore.

The North Holland Blues are a special case. Because the NZ standard follows the British standard, they've had to distinguish between the feathered and non-feathered legs of the similar barred poultry. So they've labelled one as New Holland and the other as Maran. If we stuck to the Dutch standard (the country of origin) for the North Holland Blue, they would be cleaned legged.

The agricultural scientists in the know have said that no Maran poultry was imported into NZ, whereas there is documented proof of an importation of North Holland Blue eggs into NZ, by one of the agricultural research commpanies.

The feathers on the legs of some barred birds, was produced by cross-breeding with another breed. This information was passed onto me by a member of the Poultry Breeders' Society of NZ Committee Member who has research the NHB mix-up for many years and is working with others to get some common sense back into the breed standard on North Holland Blues.

Hope that clarifies things a bit. Its all rather political at the present time, so I'm just leaving it to the few cleaned legged North Holland Blue breeders to hold the fort until the powers that be have worked through their disagreements and the way is cleared for the average poultry keeper to just get on with breeding the type of bird that came out of Holland.

Time to create page: 0.193 seconds