North Holland Blue

More
14 years 22 hours ago #23125 by Jeffie
North Holland Blue was created by Jeffie
What is the differenct between a North Holland Blue and a Plymouth barred rock?

www.trademe.co.nz/Business-farming-indus...uction-292489786.htm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 21 hours ago #330636 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic North Holland Blue
The North Holland Blue has white legs, the Barred Plymouth Rock has yellow legs. Also the barring in the Rocks is much finer. The North Holland Blue should have some feathering on their legs - not as rich as in the Pekin, just a few feathers down the outer side of its legs.

As far as I can see the bird in the ad has clean legs. The experts are still discussing whether the bird currently bred as North Holland Blue actually is the Maran which has lost its ability to lay dark eggs. So it is either a North Holland Blue with clean legs or a Maran that lays tinted eggs:confused::confused:(I'm just assuming this as this rooster will never lay eggs).:rolleyes:

I just noticed that the bird is listed under 'Bantams'. The North Holland Blue is a heavy breed.

More
14 years 21 hours ago #330638 by Jeffie
Replied by Jeffie on topic North Holland Blue
Thanks for the clarification. I've seen 'rare' NHB eggs being sold on TM at some pretty high prices but they look like a barred rock:confused: Now I'll know what to look for i.e light legs and feathering. Can't see myself rushing out to buy some eggs.[;)]

I was hoping of buying some Maran's but cn't find them on the rare breed list or anywhere else in NZ.

More
14 years 21 hours ago #330639 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic North Holland Blue
North Holland Blue is white skinned and white legged, Barred Plymouth Rocks should be yellow legged.
NHB barring is Cuckoo, not distinct barring of the BPR.
Single combed in both, lays light brown tinted eggs

British standard calls for feathered legs in NHB, but the country of origin, Holland has clean legs as standard.

I would be suprised if there are any 'official' North Holland Blues in NZ as they are quite rare in UK and not listed on the NZ rare breeds website.
I suspect any that are listed as such are 'look alikes' , faulty Barred Rocks with white legs!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
14 years 21 hours ago #330643 by Simkin

Sue;317367 wrote: North Holland Blue is white skinned and white legged, Barred Plymouth Rocks should be yellow legged.
NHB barring is Cuckoo, not distinct barring of the BPR.
Single combed in both, lays light brown tinted eggs

British standard calls for feathered legs in NHB, but the country of origin, Holland has clean legs as standard.

I would be suprised if there are any 'official' North Holland Blues in NZ as they are quite rare in UK and not listed on the NZ rare breeds website.
I suspect any that are listed as such are 'look alikes' , faulty Barred Rocks with white legs!

In the NZ poultry standard it says 'NHB is barred' although I agree - it looks more like cuckoo. Sue - the battle is raging behind the scenes but I can assure you that there are genuine such birds around but you know how it goes - somebody sees the genuine birds and thinks 'oh, I've got something like that running around at my place. Wow - what a price these people got for theirs. I have to sell mine, too'.[}:)][}:)]

I wouldn't be able to tell whether the advertised bird is the genuine thing or not. It looks a bit long in the legs.

More
14 years 21 hours ago #330644 by Jeffie
Replied by Jeffie on topic North Holland Blue
Hi Simkin

Do you know if Maran's is available?

More
14 years 21 hours ago #330645 by Cinsara
Replied by Cinsara on topic North Holland Blue
I hatched 7 NHB a couple of months ago just for fun and the "cuckoo" colour is really pretty, sort of an understated smudgy mulled barring look. I am bidding on one of these cockerals to go with the 4 girls from my hatch as its cheaper than getting eggs from that line which is different from mine. These cockerals come from eggs from birds from eggs from a SI breeder so they may be your person Simkin. I have PM'd you :-)

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
14 years 21 hours ago #330648 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic North Holland Blue
Just to confuse things further, here is what the US Feathersite has to say-and they have yellow legs over there, or it seems the Holland Blue does. It also lays white eggs!
www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGD/Holland/BRKHolland.html

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
14 years 20 hours ago #330654 by Poultry Valley and Lifestyle
This is just the reason I got rid of mine... too much criticism and sceptically minded people out there ! Although I was lead to believe that mine were Marans ( that only had tinted eggs, not the Dark chocolate Brown of the UK's Marans ) Got sick of the questioning skeptics and sent mine up North !! Not to anyone on TM either :)

Just a personal preference too.... as the Barring ( Cuckoo ) is definitely different than that of the Barred Plymouth Rock, of which I prefer better !

More
14 years 20 hours ago #330657 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic North Holland Blue
FYI, there is a person, down here, that regularly sells fertile NHB eggs over the season. My neighbour got some once to put under a clucky. She was quite a fan of them.

More
14 years 20 hours ago #330658 by Cinsara
Replied by Cinsara on topic North Holland Blue
I think I saw some from the SI on TM once but I don't think they would send them all the way up to Auckland :-( They may have even been pick up only.

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
14 years 20 hours ago #330661 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic North Holland Blue
I hear that the lines in NZ are still egg laying machines and also make good meat birds.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
14 years 20 hours ago #330667 by Poultry Valley and Lifestyle

Xartep;317394 wrote: I hear that the lines in NZ are still egg laying machines and also make good meat birds.

Good Layers Yes :D But not as big as a PBR a Rhodey or Sussex for meat [:0]

More
14 years 19 hours ago #330673 by Simkin

Jeffie;317377 wrote: Hi Simkin

Do you know if Maran's is available?

Probably not. All mixed up with the very similar North Holland Blue.

I may even have been wrong with the type of discussion that is going on. It might be whether the NHB should have feathered legs or not.. Whatever it is - there is a bird available that looks like a Maran or a NHB. I've seen very nice ones but they are small compared to other heavy breeds which may be because of the small gene pool.

I think that it would be good if someone tried to perfect the breed - it shouldn't be too difficult.

More
14 years 18 hours ago #330676 by Kermitnz
Replied by Kermitnz on topic North Holland Blue
I am breeding NHBs, I have my first breeding lot from one of the 4 original breeders who have kept the lines pure since getting them from Lincoln University in the 50s. There are not many that are of that pure line any more, Guestimates are at around 100. So I am very privileged to be entrusted with keeping the work going with them, and not brining any other outside birds to the line.

The majority of the ones you will see on TM and such, have not been kept pure, they have had barred rock and so forth added to them at some stage (hence the black on white) NHB are 2 shade of blue, Dark blue, and a very pale white/blue, and they are cuckoo not barred. Also the markings on the feathers only go just over 1/2 way down the feather toward the body (unlike the BR), if the markings go down the the end of the feather (the body end) they will have something else in the mix, probably barred rock.

The ones we have in N.Z are from Holland and have clean legs as do the Original NHBs in Holland. It was only the English that bred feathers into their NHBs to distinguish them from the Maran. We are calling for the standard to be changed, it was put in as feathered legs as it is based on the English standard. But hopefully that will be changed by the next printing.

If you get NHBs in N.Z with feathered legs, they are crosses, as all that were brought in were clean legged birds.

Kermit & Tribe... 6 children (Tristan, Calem, Kaidan, Chloe, Sophie-Jaymz & Tess, 1 Grandson, Sebastian), 1 Cat (Bella) ...Waimate

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds