Goats and Oranges?

More
16 years 6 months ago #2312 by sundaysbest
Hi guys,
My Mocha seems to LOVE oranges, is it OK to give her one now and then? Is Citrus OK?
Cheers,
Sundays

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 6 months ago #71076 by The Kats Place
Replied by The Kats Place on topic Goats and Oranges?
I give mine oranges occasionally, along with apple,banana and pear, they also like carrot and silverbeet. Mine are not keen on cabbage'cauli or broccoli. They love wine or arrowroot biscuits.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
16 years 6 months ago #71096 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Goats and Oranges?
Ours love all citrus fruits, especially the peels! Everything in moderation, I'm sure.

Cheers
Andrea
Oxford

More
16 years 6 months ago #71097 by welshie
Replied by welshie on topic Goats and Oranges?
Sundaysbest, our goats eat any type of citrus (chopped up a bit) by the bucketful most days. Have done for several years now with no ill effects. Any type of fruit or vegetable is quite safe to feed them. Ours also eat a few leaves and stalks of rhubarb from time to time to help keep the worms away.

welshie

Don't worry about what people think...they don't do it very often.

More
16 years 6 months ago #71194 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Goats and Oranges?
Too much citrus can change the acidity of the gut and upset digestion. Some is fine, too much is harmful.

More
16 years 6 months ago #71197 by sundaysbest
Replied by sundaysbest on topic Goats and Oranges?
Thanks guys, I am stoked with the bond oranges are helping me create with Mochs! SHe loooves them... but everything in moderation is the rule I will follow for her... wish I could do the same with me!!!

Sundays :D

More
16 years 6 months ago #71199 by devan
Replied by devan on topic Goats and Oranges?
i thought rubarb leaves were really poisonous?

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing,and then they marry him.

More
16 years 6 months ago #71202 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic Goats and Oranges?
no Devan, only to sheep, they are only bad when fed wilted, so must either be accessed by the animal or fed immediately... mine accessed them directly so now Im slowly buiding up my plants again... its a wee myth that I have been trying to quell for many years and Welshie is here to agree with me now. I was originally told by an experienced goat herder,35yrs ago, whose only worm control was rhubarb as in those days ivomec etc just wasnt available and anything else had a 30 day witholding time... not good when one supplied milk

More
16 years 6 months ago #71210 by Ghilly
Replied by Ghilly on topic Goats and Oranges?
My lot LOVE bananas! Mr Tumnus especially. Skin and all.
If there are any bunches at the supermarket in the bargain bin, I sometimes buy a bunch. Those little Bobby bananas are quite good. There's usually not that much wrong with the bargain ones, just a bit spotty but I check them all the same. They don't seem to like them over ripe.

The wind flattened the raspberry canes last week and a few were leaning over the path, so I clipped them off and gave them to the goats as well. Love them! I was mugged coming back through the paddock with a bunch of willow as well. I figured trying to get back through Dodies space with a bunch of willow was asking for trouble so I went through the back paddock and up the race. As soon as they spotted the willow, I was popular.

Treats are a great way of making friends with your goat/s. Especially, if they are willing, giving them a scratch or a brush as well.

Mehrtz and Macaw go all silly about the face when I give their shoulders a bit of a scratch after they've had their bottle. They really go all dopey and their eyes half close.

Athena likes her cheeks scratched. They all have different places they enjoy being scratched, some like it behind the ears, others on their rump or on their chest.

I'm glad your enjoying Mochas company. They really are quite something.

Yakut

More
16 years 6 months ago #71234 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Goats and Oranges?

quote:Originally posted by The Kats Place

I give mine oranges occasionally, along with apple,banana and pear, they also like carrot and silverbeet. Mine are not keen on cabbage'cauli or broccoli. They love wine or arrowroot biscuits.

Er, is it a good idea to let you goat turn into a lush ???? [}:)][}:)][}:)]

Sundays,[:0] you are asking about a goat.... the one animal on the earth that will eat everything they can reach [}:)] and strain to reach the rest. :p
Good you have found out her soft spot [:X], now you have a bargaining tool to make her a friend. There will be plenty more.

Next time you are near **the place on the corner by the lights down the road**, buy a box of the mixed fruits by the door to the back. Try her on little bits of everything, she will love all of them I am sure.[:I]

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
16 years 6 months ago #71272 by welshie
Replied by welshie on topic Goats and Oranges?

quote:Originally posted by LongRidge

Too much citrus can change the acidity of the gut and upset digestion. Some is fine, too much is harmful.

Our goats obviously have cast iron stomachs then! I think it totally depends what else they are eating. Sure it would cause a problem if they didn't also eat loads of roughage etc, but I assumed that sundaysbest's goats have a balanced diet besides the oranges. In that case quite a few oranges will do absolutely no harm.
Another "treat" is all the rose prunings/ deadheads etc. Very popular with our two. And don't forget all the vegetable trimmings, ends, peelings etc. Corn husks and stalks are their all time favourite.

welshie

Don't worry about what people think...they don't do it very often.

More
16 years 6 months ago #71332 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Goats and Oranges?
The Animal Welfare Act and it's various Codes of Practices does not permit you to feed unsafe things to animals, and you are obliged to try to prevent them eating unsafe things. One of the arbitors of what is safe is the NZ Veterinary Association. There is no way that they would consider rhubarb, roses, and I suspect citrus in excess to be safe foods. I have heard of goats and donkeys getting pierced guts from eating sharp objects. You can feed your animals these things, but if they die, don't be surprised if you get prosecuted.

More
16 years 6 months ago #71370 by moggy
Replied by moggy on topic Goats and Oranges?
beedee, do you have any information on rhubarb leaves and goats. I was told by the vet not to drench her for worms unless showing obvious signs of infestation, I have rhubarb so would love to be able to use it as mild worm solution, if it really does work, but I like the others have also heard about toxic effects of it, so would like to know more before giving her any.

More
16 years 5 months ago #71439 by gemini kiwi
Replied by gemini kiwi on topic Goats and Oranges?
My sheep busted through the gate to the Orchard last year and scoffed the tops off several Rhubarb plants, I was mortified as I knew they were toxic..................they lived to tell the tale though.
Tess

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds