Gun recommendation?

More
13 years 11 months ago #22886 by BillyTheTractor
We are over run with rabbits. My Dh is a good shot, well was in his youth!
We've decided the time has come to get a gun. Pretty much for rabbit shooting.

He's been to the post office, got the references and is now waiting for the interview with the police and the referees. Then getting the lockable cupboard done.

The hunting fishing shop recommended a ruger 10/22.
Does this sound fine?

Wee Farm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #327879 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Gun recommendation?
If you are happy with a semi auto this is a lovely little rifle. It is compact and we have found ours to be accurate and reliable. Those who have borrowed it have really liked it too.

Some people prefer to not to have the semi auto as it can be harder to be sure it is empty of rounds. Others are concerned about restrictions being increased on these.

The Ruger rotary magazine tucks away nicely inside without any bits hanging down to snag on things. This and its compact size make it great for moving through scrub.

We have not used ours for some time because we have replaced it with a .17 but we can't say goodbye to it...

More
13 years 11 months ago #327886 by Kilmoon
Replied by Kilmoon on topic Gun recommendation?
Hubby and I both have bolt action .22's but buying a rotary ruger .22 is on the shopping list for some stage. We've heard good things about it.

More
13 years 11 months ago #327890 by ravenseyes
Replied by ravenseyes on topic Gun recommendation?
What about a high powered air rifle. Takes out bunnies and possums and you don't have to worry about the bullets travelling onto the next block or similar.

Brave Words. I've heard them before from thousands of species across thousands of worlds, since long before you were created, but now, they are all Borg.

More
13 years 11 months ago #327892 by Yo Man
Replied by Yo Man on topic Gun recommendation?
First decision - calibre - and in this case .22lr is the way to go.

Second, bolt or semi-automatic. Bolt is inherently safer as you don't get another round chambered automatically. Semi allows shot in quick sucession, so if you're a good shot you can double tap your prey. But it isn't there for taking five or six quick shots at 3 or four different rabbits at once. Shooting safety !!,

Bolt actions are usually ready to go without feeding difficults straight off. Semis often require some wearing in for the semi action to cycle smoothly. Often with HV rounds, which make a lot of noise even with a suppressor. Say 500 rounds to run in. Then should be good with subsonics, which are very quiet with a good suppressor.

Third - new or used. .22's are generally very reliable, and good used ones can be bought. However, then no warrenty if something should fail. I'm only allowed to buy new - wifes instructions - "two things you always buy new - parachutes and guns". Having said that, I'm not allowed semis. The sacrifice!!

Ruger 10/22's have been around for a long time. There are many dfferent variants from you basic blued barrel / synthetic stock to stainless fluted varmint barrels with carbon fibre stocks. Set a budget and then see what you can get in that range. Rugers are but like the hotrods of .22 semis - heaps of after market parts to keep modding and improving.

When selecting, HOLD THE RIFLE. Even within the Ruger range, try a few if you can. Each will feel different in weight, balance, and how it comes to the shoulder and fits to your body.

There is so many variants when selecting a first .22lr rifle it will be down to individual choice, None of the guys I shoot with have the same one. Then there's the slippery slope to the next one ... .

You will need to have your secure storage in place BEFORE your Arms Officer interview. Are you doing the arms safety course beofre or after?? The Arms Code has what's required; it does not insist on commercially made gun safes, but many do buy them. Budget around $400 for a small one. Mine took 90 days from application - firearms course - interview - receiving licence. Some its taken 3 weeks. Some 5 months.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mgunn

More
13 years 11 months ago #327893 by wyseyes
Replied by wyseyes on topic Gun recommendation?

ravenseyes;314300 wrote: What about a high powered air rifle. Takes out bunnies and possums and you don't have to worry about the bullets travelling onto the next block or similar.

You also don't need the Firearms License for an air rifle.
Both Yo-Man and I hunt these vermin (rabbits, pest birds, and possum) with air rifles, because the range of an air rifle is under 100m. For a Ruger, more like 1500m.

Whatever you get, make sure it is quiet. Using subsonic ammunition, in a rifle with a sound moderator (there's no such thing as a 'silencer'), then you can have another shot at the next rabbit. With a loud shot, you then go home because all the rabbits have run for the hills.

The ruger is a fine small-arm, perfect for vermin shooting. There are other rifles there which are also perfect. Don't be sucked in by H&F spiel, remember they are there to sell stuff, not necessarily to sell you what you want.

ie - the most common 22 rimfire packages come with rifle, scope rings, 4x32 scope, maybe a bag, moderator, maybe some ammo and a cleaning kit. having been through this process, I quickly found out that for the longer shots, the scope wasn't powerful enough for my eyes. The 4 is the magnification, the 32 is a 32mm front lens. See if you can get a variable 3-9 magnification, then you can set it to what suits. Also the larger the front lens, the more light can get in and the clearer the target will be.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
13 years 11 months ago #327894 by Yo Man
Replied by Yo Man on topic Gun recommendation?

wyseyes;314304 wrote: You also don't need the Firearms License for an air rifle.
Both Yo-Man and I hunt these vermin (rabbits, pest birds, and possum) with air rifles, because the range of an air rifle is under 100m. For a Ruger, more like 1500m.

Yep, another good option. Except the options available are even more 'complex' that that for a .22 rimfire. Spring, gas ram, pcp, .177, .22, .25, break barrel, side lever, underlever .... Great fun though :D :D

More
13 years 11 months ago #327898 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Gun recommendation?
I have a ruger 10/22, very nice little carbine, not the most accurate model out there, but well capable of downing a rabbit at any reasonable range. And since you're after rabbits, the last little 1/100th of a minute of arc that makes the difference between winning a trophy and being runner up isn't needed :P

On the other hand, if you want a bolt action, my reloaders catalogue has a Norinco JW15, 4x32 scope, and suppressor/silecncer package for $289. take that to a gunsmith with $200 and ask for a full hone and smoothing of all moving parts and contact surfaces, and you will have a sweet little rifle which will outdo many $1000 big name target/sporting rifles. Even with the extra cost of the unsmiths work, it will be cheaper than most other bolt action .22s

The Norinco JW15 is a cheap knock off of an older BRNO action, in fact it is such a close copy that Norinco Jw15 and BRNO parts will interchange perfectly. The only way the chinese let themselves down is in the quality of the machined surfaces which aren't as smooth and slick as the hand finished BRNO actions. A little work does wonders.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon
The following user(s) said Thank You: mgunn

More
13 years 11 months ago #327913 by cantyguy
Replied by cantyguy on topic Gun recommendation?
Stick with the ruger, a reliable an accurate rifle. I own one and used one for 15 years when I worked on the Pest Board.

When you fit your scope put insulation tape under the rings and put a drop of nail vanish on the mount screws. This will help keep it accurate if you knock it occasionally and stick with a good reliable 4x32 scope. DON'T use a cheap vari-power scope they are not accurate at high magnification and a overkill for any .22.

The only downfall with the ruger is the 'soft' firing pin but it will be many 000's of rounds before it becomes a problem which is easy fixed.

The Rugers are also very easy to strip down and clean. Simply wash the firing mechanism in petrol to which a few drops of gun oil have been added. This will clean an lubricate the moving parts.

The ruger 10/22 is an excellent choice.

• Jack
13 years 11 months ago #327918 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Gun recommendation?
Gidday

Na.

Get something that will last. Like my BSA long barrel sportsman single shot .22

Still goes better than my eye and I have had it for more than 50 years.

More
13 years 11 months ago #327920 by Azza
Replied by Azza on topic Gun recommendation?
Ahh the BSA, I have an old one I inherited, single shot bolt action, and it is still very accurate.

But it depends on the terrain you are hunting as well. If the rabbits have lots of cover to hide in then i would recommend a Spaniel and an over and under 12g shotgun so you hit them on the run. Hunting without a dog is not hunting, it's shooting. :p
The beauty of a shotgun is that you don't have a projectile that can travel for long distances if you miss, I am personally rather wary about shooting possums in trees with a rifle...not that I miss with the old BSA :D

If you have a relatively small flat block then the Ruger with suppresser sounds like a good option. I like Semi-Auto's but find the bolt action is less prone to stoppages. All good snipers use bolt actions...learn from the best [;)]

If you live in big hilly country then consider a .223 heavy barrel with bipod and a wicked piece of expensive glass with mil dot/ballistic markings on top (scope) so you can sit on top of the hill and pop the buggers off from a distance.

More
13 years 11 months ago #327921 by cantyguy

Jack;314332 wrote: Gidday

Na.

Get something that will last. Like my BSA long barrel sportsman single shot .22

Still goes better than my eye and I have had it for more than 50 years.

Jack I've had my Ruger for over 30 years and fire hundreds of thousands of rounds.

More
13 years 11 months ago #327923 by cantyguy
But bear in mind that if you have a real rabbit problem shooting will not control them...use Pindone Poison.

At any one time you are only seeing a small percentage of the population so unless you are a very good shot and prepared to shoot at all hours to expose the different rabbits you are fighting a up hill battle.

If however you have a few nuisance rabbits then shooting will be fine.

More
13 years 11 months ago #327933 by PalmyCol
Replied by PalmyCol on topic Gun recommendation?
If you are new to rifles I would suggest you go with a bolt action .22 as a mistake with a semi automatic can be fatal if you forget that after you have shot there is another bullet all ready to go if you pull the trigger again. I have bolt action, semi auto and an old 1912 Winchester pump action .22. For accuracy I prefer my Bruno bolt action and as previously mentioned, with a semi auto there can be a chance of jamming with low velocity ammo as there is often not enough recoil to reload properly.

More
13 years 11 months ago #327935 by PalmyCol
Replied by PalmyCol on topic Gun recommendation?

Azza;314335 wrote: Ahh the BSA, I have an old one I inherited, single shot bolt action, and it is still very accurate.

But it depends on the terrain you are hunting as well. If the rabbits have lots of cover to hide in then i would recommend a Spaniel and an over and under 12g shotgun so you hit them on the run. Hunting without a dog is not hunting, it's shooting. :p
The beauty of a shotgun is that you don't have a projectile that can travel for long distances if you miss, I am personally rather wary about shooting possums in trees with a rifle...not that I miss with the old BSA :D

If you have a relatively small flat block then the Ruger with suppresser sounds like a good option. I like Semi-Auto's but find the bolt action is less prone to stoppages. All good snipers use bolt actions...learn from the best [;)]

If you live in big hilly country then consider a .223 heavy barrel with bipod and a wicked piece of expensive glass with mil dot/ballistic markings on top (scope) so you can sit on top of the hill and pop the buggers off from a distance.

Cricky for taking out Telebunnies :D 22/250s are pretty good to for long range shots, head shots at 300m are possible. they Shoot nice flat trajectories :p

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds