It's bucketing down in the Far North !!!

More
14 years 1 week ago #22628 by GrantK
I've been kept awake tonight by the wonderful sound of heavy rain on our tin roof. Something that I haven't heard here since January 21st.

We have just reached 15mm on the rain gauge since the first shower started at about 8:30pm, and I am expecting the total to have reached at least 20mm by morning.

Rain on this scale is so very welcome and may just provide the jump-start our grass needs to make that growth spurt we usually get at this time of year. With the Soil Temp. holding up at 19.5 degrees, it is certainly plenty warm enough to get growth happening in a big way :D :D :D

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 week ago #325082 by beedee
Had one short shower starting 4.15am and now stopped... but you guys need it more than we do, so just hope for a bit more before the front passes by.

More
14 years 1 week ago #325086 by Stu_R
:) good for the North :)
Only a few very quick lite showers here overnight :(
Ground temp's are down here anyway :( , seems our grass growth has just stopped.
I am really happy you Northland guys are getting some much needed rain ... hope it continues for a bit longer :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
14 years 1 week ago #325096 by Xartep
A good dollop of heavy rain before it passed on, to those that need it more. :D

Did it make it to the drought struck areas?[^]

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
14 years 1 week ago #325102 by Ronney
Grant, Northland may have had bucketing rain but I can assure you that the Far North hasn't. In the last 24 hours we've had exactly 2mls:(

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
14 years 1 week ago #325103 by Jeffie
The wonderful sound of rain - started through the night and still a bit off a constant drizzle. Just what mother nature ordered :D

I do hope the other regions get rain too! So much are needed

More
14 years 1 week ago #325111 by linda
Only 2mm here in Whangarei :-(
Bright sun now.

13 acres in poroti,northland
www.justsoap.co.nz

More
14 years 1 week ago #325113 by blimeyvicki
And finally some rain in Franklin too. 16mm overnight.....and I didn't hear a thing!! Very welcome though, usually ijust watch the rain as it passes by us:(

More
14 years 1 week ago #325114 by Isla
2mm here too. Way up north near Houhora they had a huge rainfall last week, but there too, it was very localised. The 27mm of last week hasn't obviously done anything at all, except just disappear. No change to drought status yet!

More
14 years 1 week ago #325120 by witheze
Nothing much at my place 18ks from Whangarei! :(

More
14 years 1 week ago #325125 by GrantK

Ronney;311161 wrote: Grant, Northland may have had bucketing rain but I can assure you that the Far North hasn't. In the last 24 hours we've had exactly 2mls:(

We really lucked out last night with a total of 19.1mm, but from comments above, it seems to have been very localised. One weather station in Kerikeri reported 14.6mm.

We have now received 164mm of rain for the year to date, vs. about 400mm on average. March/April so far this year have totalled 52mm vs. 250mm or so on average, so hopefully we can do some catching up during the remainder of this month. Only a succession of highs is forecast for the next 7 days though, so maybe around Anzac Day will be the time some more rain arrives here. It often is...

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
14 years 1 week ago #325126 by GloPony
Yeah, bit of a heavy shower this morning but not enough to register on the rain gauge. :(

More
14 years 1 week ago #325139 by The Kats Place
10 mils here, can we hae a bit morre please.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
14 years 1 week ago #325142 by Sue
Grant I notice your rainfall last night brought your April total to 33.3!

Our 15mm last night brought the April total to 17mm! We were getting dry here too!

OK our total to date is 247mm, of which 87 fell in Jan, 88 for Feb and 55 for March.

Looking back on 10 years records the average to the end of March is usually about 300mm, but in 2003 and 2001 it was 100mm or less and in 2004 about 450mm!

Our driest recent year was 2005, but even then by April we were about the same as this year, cumulative annual under 1000mm.

I hear down in central Otago they are talking about grey paddocks, doesn't bode well for the winter as they have already had frosts, and no decent rain since October!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
14 years 1 week ago #325160 by Pumpkingirl
A mere 8 miserable millimetres here, and I'm probably only a 10 minute drive from blimeyvicky's area :(

That gives me a grand total of 18mm since March 1st. Very, very sucky! Even my chicory is beginning to look a bit bedraggled.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds