LSB forum help needed.

More
14 years 1 month ago #22580 by Anne
LSB forum help needed. was created by Anne
Okay, this is for a Uni assignment, completely unrelated to farming - but you guys will have great answers anyway.
What's a native tree that has roots that spread out and go down deep?.
Other criteria:
  • It doesn't need to be huge, but does need branches and be a spreading tree.
  • Would be good if it had a strong central trunk.
  • Extra colour would be great - but not many natives do have.
  • Okay if it has symbiotes, but not parasitic plants.
  • I don't really want to use a kauri.
  • better if it can live in the forest or on its own.
I'm sure I'll think of other things as I go along. I want a tree as a symbol for something and these are all the things it needs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #324579 by BillyTheTractor

• Jack
14 years 1 month ago #324582 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic LSB forum help needed.
Gidday

Rata I reckon would be best.

More
14 years 1 month ago #324592 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic LSB forum help needed.
I would vote Totara, not quite as in-your-face impressive as a mature Puriri with it's billowing shape of glossy dark green, but I prefer the high arching reach of a Totara reaching for the sky.

Theres more of a distinct central trunk versus the typical Puriri which has more thicker side branches starting from lower down, more of a clean sweep upwards.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
14 years 1 month ago #324600 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic LSB forum help needed.
My favourite native is the Kai UM spelling......Kaikatea? But in it's juvinile state it isn't spreading so I would have to go with Kiwi's choice of Totora which pretty much fits your criteria.

As a symbolic tree, it has been important in both Maori and European culture.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
14 years 1 month ago #324604 by clowder
Replied by clowder on topic LSB forum help needed.
Pohutukawa if you want colour...or kowhai.
A tenacious Ngaio standing on a sea blown ridge all wind twisted and stunning.
all trees that can live alone...I think?

More
14 years 1 month ago #324605 by SarahM
Replied by SarahM on topic LSB forum help needed.
I like cabbage trees at the moment. I don't know why, but I do! I especially like them in paintings done by Diane (Diana?) Adams.

I've been studying them for assignment. They have a deep tap root, blueish-whiteish berries, and what's more many parts of the tree are edible or can be used for fibre and medicine. They live on forest edges, like full sunlight, and they also don't mind growing on open ground.

For plants with more colour, you can't go past a kowhai or kakabeak - love them both (and believe they are related).

www.doc.govt.nz/templates/defaultlanding.aspx?id=32841
This is a part of a DOC website (an area I'm accessing for my course). There's tonnes of info in there on native plants of all varieties.

5 acres, husband, daughter, son, me, about 12 sheep and their lambs, currently no ram (yay!), 2 Galloways, about 35 chooks, 3 cats and 2 budgies.

More
14 years 1 month ago #324621 by Isla
Replied by Isla on topic LSB forum help needed.
Puriri! Close-ups on flowers will add all sorts of pinks and crimsons and the berries range from lime green through crimsons, purple to black.

They carry a huge range of epiphytes, perched, climbing or descending. They can be hugely tall before the branches start spreading, or exactly right for stringing the washing line around the bottom branches.

If they fall over they keep growing!

• Jack
14 years 1 month ago #324679 by Jack
Gidday

[[Northern rata (Metrosideros robusta) usually begins life as an epiphyte or plant perched on a host tree. Its roots grow down to the ground, finally enclosing the host tree and producing a huge tree up to 25 metres high with a trunk of 2.5 metres through. It is found throughout the North Island and in the South Island, south to about Westport.]]

Now aint that more interesting than any normal tree that just grows up. And it has such spendid colour flowers as well.

More
14 years 1 month ago #324684 by Alan Gilbert
Replied by Alan Gilbert on topic LSB forum help needed.
Ronney, kahikatea might send the wrong message - it grows best in swamps, and the timber rots like there's no tomorrow. On the other hand, it is the tallest native tree.
Some boat-builders used it for its long planks, but any fresh water lying in the bilges was fatal to it. The main use of the timber was for butter boxes, because the wood has no odour or taint.
Puriri sounds like a good candidate.

• Jack
14 years 1 month ago #324687 by Jack
Gidday

Kahikatea is nowhere near that bad at rotting iffin you use the yellow heart which is very durable.

Rata is still the best tree.

More
14 years 1 month ago #324691 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic LSB forum help needed.

Alan Gilbert;310704 wrote: Ronney, kahikatea might send the wrong message - it grows best in swamps, and the timber rots like there's no tomorrow. On the other hand, it is the tallest native tree.
Some boat-builders used it for its long planks, but any fresh water lying in the bilges was fatal to it. The main use of the timber was for butter boxes, because the wood has no odour or taint.
Puriri sounds like a good candidate.

Thank you for the spelling[;)] We have heaps of Kahikatea growing here, lovely long, straight trunks, beautiful conical shape in it's juvinile state and spreading as it gets older, and lives well on it's own. The best one we have is free standing in the Ewe Paddock - nowhere near a swamp, not even in the flood zone.

Not long after we moved here we had to drop one before it took the power out. Not having had anything to do with them before, I was amazed at how quickly both the fallen tree and the stump rotted away. 6 months later, and after having been through a flood, it wasn't even fit for firewood.

In the meantime, Anne has a few choices to pick from and we all have our favourite trees. Unfortunately most of us only ever get to see them in their juvinile state but we have a Totora (several in fact) that must be very old and grow on the edge of the river. They are huge with all sorts of wonderful things growing in them and I often just go down there to look at them and wonder how old they are - and how they got missed when people cut anything and everything down.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
14 years 1 month ago #324695 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic LSB forum help needed.
Totara is what the Waka Taua (war canoes) were made from, by hollowing out a single trunk. In Tainui Maori mythos, the Kauri is often the wise elder statesman of the trees while the totara is the doughty warrior, I'm not sure what they characterise the Puriri as, and other tribes may differ.

The Kaihakatea is not a deep rooted tree, being a swamp tree and fertile bottomland habitat, they have no need for a deep anchor to hold them firm against the storms, or to bring up nutrients from deep in the soil.

he totara has a more widespread habitat and a central taproot as opposed to the more diffuse root ball of the Kaihakatea :D

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
14 years 1 month ago #324706 by kate
Replied by kate on topic LSB forum help needed.
What about Titoki? It's one of my favourite native trees and the berrries are colourful. They have a few in Cambridge town centre and they're a lovely shape.

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
14 years 1 month ago #324744 by Anne
Replied by Anne on topic LSB forum help needed.
I've decided to go with totara. Really liked the puriri, but it was used in urupa, so not suitable for what I am looking for. Strong central trunk etc of totara meets my requirements.

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds