Winter Feeding of Chooks

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #324543 by SarahM
Replied by SarahM on topic Winter Feeding of Chooks
Ditto here Jeff. Ours get wheat, chook pellets and shell grit all year round. It's just 'extras' they get on top of that from time to time. Kitchen scraps, left over fruit/vege etc. Mine LOVE pasta and left over cat food.

5 acres, husband, daughter, son, me, about 12 sheep and their lambs, currently no ram (yay!), 2 Galloways, about 35 chooks, 3 cats and 2 budgies.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #324545 by Jeffie
Replied by Jeffie on topic Winter Feeding of Chooks
We have a few young chookies that discovered where their humans live. I have 3 cats and feed them outside, lately some mornings when I feed the cats the young chookies are already up home. soon as food goes into the bowls they 'crowd' the cats trying to sneak a peck and run away with the loot :) The cats eventually give in and surrender LOL

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #324550 by BillyTheTractor
I feed mine the same all year round and since getting chooks 2 and a half years ago I have never had to buy a single egg. I suppose as we're way north it is warmer over winter, but they just keep on laying. Half moult then start again then the others moult! timing seems perfect!

Wee Farm

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #324606 by SarahM
Replied by SarahM on topic Winter Feeding of Chooks
Way down south here. Not sure if the longer daylight hours here count for much? We get a definite stoppage of laying in winter starting about now, with start up again after the shortest day. June 20-ish.

5 acres, husband, daughter, son, me, about 12 sheep and their lambs, currently no ram (yay!), 2 Galloways, about 35 chooks, 3 cats and 2 budgies.

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds