Talking Horses and natural training,

More
14 years 1 month ago #22555 by mikethebike
I have recently been intereted in Natural horse training methods and have come across a site called Quantum Savvy which is run by someone called Shane and Merredith Ransley, I have been watching a number of their videos which are available on the site and been playing with my old Standy Prince and i have to say so far I been really impressed with how hes responding particularly towards improving communication and staying super calm, I am thinking of doing their horsemanship correspondance course and wondered if any one on here had any experience of it Good or bad,

Mike and Suzi living the lifestyle in sunny central hawkes bay, Still loads of animals oh and we still have our Zebra truck.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #324248 by muletide
On a different note, how old is Prince? I used to have a standy called Prince (Empire Prince) last I heard of him he was at Stoney Creek Ranch.

I use different "natural" techneques for different things. Some Ponyboy, some Linda Telliington Jones, some Connected riding and ground work. Never heard of this lot, I will toddle off and have a look. ;)

Life is about the journey, not the destination

CHB

More
14 years 1 month ago #324259 by Neverathome stayhomemum
I have been having a wee play too... with my new horse, and am amazed how quickly he is learning. I have been having lessons with a blend of approaches, and am heading to a parelli level 1 course next week.

I guess that there are alot of different ideas out there that all come under the "natural" heading, and you take out of each one what works for you and your horse.

All very different to what I was taught at pony club many moons ago!

More
14 years 1 month ago #324269 by Stikkibeek
That horse whisperer featured on Country Calender last week was interesting.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
14 years 1 month ago #324277 by mikethebike
yes stikkibeak thats what prompted me to get out and try some of the techniques i had been reading about. Yes i think you mentioned that before muletide, prince is not that old hes only about 13 or 14 he trained as a trotter i believe but never raced too slow i guess, then he went off to be a trekking horse and then he was bought as a hack for a doctor friend of mine, she lost interest and wanted to rehome him so i planned to buy him so we had him on trial for a while and he went lame pretty quickly ie within about 2 weeks the vet said she thought it might be arthritis as it was affecting both of his rear hocks so we agreed to just rehome him and have had him ever since, about two years now, recently hes been sound for about 5/6 months now so i have started using him for gentle riding in the school hes still very stiff but only going in one direction which is odd, but when hes free in the field he trots around like a young colt so maybe its not arthritis, hes not on any medication at all and shows no signs of being in any pain so im taking a wait and see what happens when he starts to get fitter approach, if he goes lame again i will retire him permanently as a paddock mate at which hes particularly adept,

Mike and Suzi living the lifestyle in sunny central hawkes bay, Still loads of animals oh and we still have our Zebra truck.

More
14 years 1 month ago #324280 by Pumpkingirl
There are neat DVDs and things available these days - I saw a couple of ones by Bill Dorrance and they were actual lessons with owners, their horses, an "issue" and Dorrance showing them how to change their way of doing things through basic principles of natural horsemanship.. Not great production qualities, but you could watch the horses progress using his techniques as if you were there yourself. The one I remember had a horse that was very scared of trailers, floats, trucks etc, and after about 30 minutes it was walking on and off like it was nothing. The change in it and its owner was really lovely to see.

Dorrance wrote an amazing book called "True Horsemanship Through Feel", which outlines basic communication through little lessons you can do with your own horse. You cant' believe it's going to work, but when I tried it, it was amazing the difference in my horses, and even to this day, some 6-7 years later, they remember those lessons and will respond when I ask them to do them.

The horses are also much more respectful of me. The difference in my ex broodmare (a very bolshy, no respect for people, skittish horse when I got her) is a 180 degree turnaround, and I only ever used a couple of Dorrances techniques with her.

You'd be most welcome to borrow it, I have no need to refer to it in any urgent way. Let me know.

More
14 years 1 month ago #324282 by ravenseyes
Also have a look at the Andrew McLean methods - we have found some of his techniques very useful and Jody Hartstone using the McLean method alot on her horses

Brave Words. I've heard them before from thousands of species across thousands of worlds, since long before you were created, but now, they are all Borg.

More
14 years 1 month ago #324287 by muletide

mikethebike;310263 wrote: Yes i think you mentioned that before muletide,

Oh dang have I, I must be going senile in my old age[:I]

CHB

More
14 years 1 month ago #324295 by mikethebike
Hey muletide did you get them chooks you wanted? ive still got some if you want?

Hey PG yes i have heard of Dorrence it would be awesome to read his book PM me,
Mike.

More
14 years 1 month ago #324323 by muletide
Hi Mike no I didnot get any chooks, and now Hennrietta has died I need to get my a into g as Victoria is lonley by her self. Will email you

CHB

More
14 years 1 month ago #324336 by Stikkibeek
I was lucky enough to catch a Heath Harris clinic some years ago. He was the guy who trained the original National Bank horse. They had two very different horses at the clinic. One was a super temperamental highly alert but intelligent Arab that was causing problems. Heath had it absolutely fabulous in no time at all. The other was a block-headed x trotter that some-one wanted for a gig horse, and it was so thick, wouldn't learn a thing. It went doggo on the ground and cried like a baby. He told the owners to send it to the dog food factory as it wasn't safe.

I used Professor Beery methods on my own young horses, and some of those were the best horses I've every owned.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
14 years 1 month ago #324349 by muletide
Some methods work for some horses better. I feel very sorry for the standie mentioned above to be condemed after a very short session with a trainer that he was unfamilar with.

I for one let my horses tell me the best way to work with them, does take a bit of time as we work things out but we do get there.

Mind you a horse that was very unhappy being on the ground (which is quite understandable for a prey animal) may be not such a good horse to have in harness.

Have not heard of Heath HArris will pop off and google him

CHB

More
14 years 1 month ago #324353 by GloPony

ravenseyes;310271 wrote: Also have a look at the Andrew McLean methods - we have found some of his techniques very useful and Jody Hartstone using the McLean method alot on her horses

This is just natural horsemanship only this guy calls it "behavioural science" & has a few letters after his name. [;)]

Mike, my advice is to check out as many different NH & behavioural based trainers as you can. You'll find they all do pretty much the same thing but have different ways of explaining it.

The Dorrances have already been mentioned, then there's Ray Hunt, John Lyons, Buck Branaman, Clinton Anderson, Mark Rashid, etc.

I find that by checking out a whole lot of them, you learn the philosophy behind the communication rather than just learning the mechanics of it, parrot fashion.

You'll also learn LOTS from your horses just be sitting in the paddock & watching how they communicate with each other. [;)]

More
14 years 1 month ago #324419 by Double8
I would add Steve Brady (Australia) to that list. I have seen alot of Parelli, have attended Gavin Morison clinics, alot of western clinics and found Steve one of the best, easiest to understand and worked for me and my horse. Sometimes it depends on you and how you digest information then apply it as to what may or not for you and your horse. Every horse should be treated as an individual and what works brilliantly for one may have another totally confused. :) 88

What am I? Fly paper for freaks?!

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds