house cow wanted....

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #22491 by clowder
house cow wanted.... was created by clowder
can anyone help...I'm looking for a south island house cow, organicly raised and jersey...is this going to be too hard!
and she needs to be in milk...maybe with a calf.[:I]
please don't tell me my wish list is OTT.[:0]
any ideas as to where to find such a special beast greatly appreciated... :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #323561 by feedqueen
Replied by feedqueen on topic house cow wanted....
ask me this time next year, have the girls, but have chosen to wait till next spring to get in calf as 2 year olds. :)

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #323576 by hilldweller
Replied by hilldweller on topic house cow wanted....
If by 'organically raised' you mean cert organic, this will be harder to find in the Sth Island than the North. There are a number of organic herds in the Waikato and Fonterra processes organic milk as organic, but I don't think that happens anywhere down here. If you don't require certification that will make it easier. Good luck with your search.

Midge who sometimes posts on here may be able to help if she sees this.

hilldweller

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #323577 by Denneaux
Replied by Denneaux on topic house cow wanted....
If you want an organic one I expect you have your work cut out for you. You should be able to get an in-milk jersey cull cow round this time of year from a dairy farmer, if you have the yards and time to work with it, you should be able to tame it pretty quickly. I used to get cull cows for nurse cows, you can halter train them in a few days if you have the determination (having a small cow helps), some food and some yards to catch them in.
If you are really serious about organics and don't want to wrestle a stubborn cow around you could raise a heifer calf this spring.

Unless stated, the above post is not meant as criticism.

Go back and read it again in your HAPPY voice!

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #323584 by Jo-Otago
Replied by Jo-Otago on topic house cow wanted....
There is a small dairy farm out near Port Chalmers (Dunedin) that has jerseys and I think are organic, but I'm not 100% sure on that. It's the opposite end of the island from you, but if you decide you want to look that far afield then let me know and I will try & find some contact details or more info. They are not 'housecows' but it's a small-scale operation & I think the cows are pretty quiet - I know of a lady who managed to buy an in-calf cow from them last year and she is now milking it as a housecow in any case.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #323589 by Althea from Middelmost
What a pity you aren't in the North Island. I have housecows and I need to sell one or two a year to pay the feed bill. As some of you know ... my housecows are true housecows. For example: Little Miss Gentle will tie up to a gate and wait patiently while half a dozen kids have a go at milking her. She will adopt anything without large teeth. She is happy to go for a ride in the float. She peaked at 18 litres a day this season. She understands what an electric fence is and is very happy behind one grazing the long acre. I'm afraid Middelmost is not certified organic but I consider myself as chemically free as possible. AND, Little Miss Gently is a naturally polled Jersey with A2A2 milk. She is in calf to a top indexed Ambreed bull (Ardachie Kraka Poly) who is also naturally polled. I will not sell a housecow unless she is a housecow. Battling with a *itch at the end of a long hard day at the office is not fun!

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #323590 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic house cow wanted....
Althea, your cows sound wonderful!

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #323595 by DrVee
Replied by DrVee on topic house cow wanted....
There were a couple on TM advertised a month or so ago, here in Dunedin. I'll see if I can find the link. THey were $2500 which I thought was extemely pricey for a cow but then again I have no idea what 'premium' price being 'organic' can command. I'll post the link if I can find it.

Nope, can't find the auction, not even in the expired ones. must have sold, but If i see it again I'll PM it thru. I did find an organic Jersey for $500 tho that had sold, confirming my thought's that $2500 was expensive for a cow.

Ronnie has come sows for sale, add in the classified, not organic but sound like they are pretty tame pets. DOesn't sound like they are in calf either nor milking. Otautau, Southland tho.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Nah, just shoot it.......

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #323596 by clowder
Replied by clowder on topic house cow wanted....
Thanks guys...all good info and nice to see it will not be impossable!
AFM would it be possable to fly your girl down...she sounds just what I'm after!!!
...has she got wings ;-)
she doesn't have to be cert org...just raised without/minimal chemicals :-)
still a few things to sort here before we take one on but the decision has been made!
yay! very exciting....
thank you all my cyber farming friends for your genuine caring help...x

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #323653 by hilldweller
Replied by hilldweller on topic house cow wanted....
Do you have any other cattle clowder? Cattle are herd animals and like to have company. Wouldn't need to be a second Jersey - could be a freezer beast or whatever, or perhaps you have a neighbour who would lend you a steer to keep her company. Something worth thinking about if the cow doesn't come with a calf.

I don't know how Althea feels about trucking her cows long distance but lots of cattle are trucked between the North and South Islands - apparently quite a lot of dairy cows were brought down to Southland in recent years with the growth in dairying.

hilldweller

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #323656 by clowder
thats right Hilldweller, but was thinking if she was in milk it could be tricky!
will be in with a freezer beast and maybe other livestock so some friends for sure.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #323677 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic house cow wanted....
I think Althea is from mid-North Island, so to Kaikoura would be 2 hours to Wellington, 4 hours on the ferry and 2 hours to Kaikoura .... so no problem for an in-milk cow. Depending where Althea is, you might need a cover for the cow until she gets used to the southerlies that can blow into Kaikoura.
To most cows, another type of livestock doesn't really qualify as company.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #323860 by clowder
so Althea...would you ship one of your girls?

More
14 years 1 week ago #325275 by DrVee
Replied by DrVee on topic house cow wanted....
Clowder, have you found a cow yet? How about one of these? In Southland tho.

www.trademe.co.nz/Business-farming-indus...uction-278882015.htm

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Nah, just shoot it.......

More
13 years 11 months ago #328214 by Althea from Middelmost
Hi there ... been off line for a while. Now is the time to shift dairy girls as they should be dried off (or nearly dried off if they are spring calvers). I truck stock all over the place with Farmers Transport and I am happy with the care and service I get. I do insist that none of my stock is 'top decked' as I hate seeing the stock sliding in and out of those upper layers. My lovely girl (Little Miss Gentle) has just been given a new baby and she loves her (a white faced beefy cross). This means I am only milking once a day now **bliss**. She is a late calver so I'll graze her out with the new calf once I am satisfied the calf has grown enough to cope with all of the milk Gentle is producing. Gentle will wean her naturally as she dries off and I have found this to be the easiest way of solving mastitis problems. If I am drying a cow off, I will put her onto a dry diet (hay) and when I decide to stop completely (when 2 to 3 litres is all I'm getting) I will use "Dry Cow Therapy" to treat each teat. I hope you have found a cow. I couldn't be without one.

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds