Oak Leaves, are they okay for young cattle

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #323838 by Stikkibeek
The house my Grandfather was born in in England, was built on a split oak cruck. Very interesting way to build such a big house and all held together by that cruck. Must have been a massive tree, and black as the ace of spades due to 400 or so years. I was lucky enough to get a translation of the deeds (Were in Latin) and the house dates back to before the 43rd year of the reign of Elizabeth the 1st.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #323843 by Inger
So we just need to send the pigs into the cattle yards to clean up the acorns before we use them for the cows then. Oak trees provide excellant shade. How old do they have to be before they produce acorns?

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #323955 by Iniuk
15 to 30 years according to the book I am reading. I have been scouting the island for acorns- one tree has yielded several shopping bags of mixed litter but another usually prolific tree seems to have none. Unless the ducks have eaten them.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #323967 by wedtoiain
Please be very, very careful with acorns. Last year we were grazing some weaner dairy heifers (not ours) in with our weaner beef heifers. They were all in the paddock which had the oak trees in them. We lost 13 weaner dairy heifers and a lot of money because of the acorns. We had no idea at the time that they were poisonous and nor did our very experienced neighbours. Because we have so many oak trees we don't graze anything in that paddock during acorn season. But we do collect the acorns and give them to our pigs now. But not the green ones as apparently these aren't good for them either.

We also have oak trees that have fallen down and would love to get them harvested for their timber but we have been unable to find anyone who will do it as they say the timber is too hard. Even contacted various furniture manufacturers and no luck. Doh!

70 acres with 1 husband, 1 mother-in-law, cattle, horses, dogs, cats, chooks, wild ducks, pigs.[:D][:D]

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #323981 by redwoodcottage
If I was paying a contractor $5000 to do tree work for me I would definately make him work for his money!!!! Tape the area off & let him sort the green waste out!!!!!

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds