storm

More
14 years 1 month ago #321474 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic storm
Fairly spectacular here, but no damage. Hail, thunder and lightning almost together, power on and on again for ages. Don't know how much rain we had but the drive was under water - the ducks who escaped from the orchard loved it!

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jack
14 years 1 month ago #321481 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic storm
Gidday

I don't care iffin we get rain, hail or bloody snow, just as long as we can get some moisture.

More
14 years 1 month ago #321493 by sod
Replied by sod on topic storm
Jack it sounds like theres something coming from the south again, THIS time maybe for you!!!!!!

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
14 years 1 month ago #321523 by ccrk9
Replied by ccrk9 on topic storm
we got hammered - only got our phone line reconnected today at just after mid day.

we ere outside working when we gor a few spits of rain so we packed up and put our gear away. I was watching the rain and the lightening over the hills to the south when DH said we better go inside - then it hit. Was almost like a tornado!!

Never seen wind like it here. I was at the lounge window when the phone line came down although I didnt see the tree drop that caused it as there was so much mess flying all over the place. We got out of the lounge as the windows were not looking to good, and could only stand and watch out the bedroom window as bits of garden went flying everywhere, rain was pouring and some hail with lightening right above us.

Lucky we had topped some of the trees near the power lines. when the wind eased we went out in the rain to check the animals - all were well. A huge hunk of the big pine by the garage came down, took out a fence and crushed a newly installed gate. took out the phone line and was caught in a cabbage tree (lucky as it would have crushed our front gate).

Power was out for about half an hour, came back for 20 mins then went again for a bit. Appart from some minor plant damage (my dahlias) and one big willow in the orchard we were lucky. Cant beleave our roof stayed on!

Telecom were useless when I rang them on Saturday morning after DH cleared the tree so they could get in to repair the line - the call centre have no bloody idea of rural distances and kept making promises of when the repair would be done - totally stupid as there was only the one guy on for the whole region! He was brilliant when he arrived. Pity of it was he was in our road on Saturday and the call center didnt put the job thru.....Still we did get a months free rental as compensation for the slow repair.

All in all a pretty spectacular storm!

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

More
14 years 1 month ago #321524 by ccrk9
And it must have been interesting at the neighbouring farms as they hadnt finished miking.......havent caught up with the staff yet to see how they got on.

More
14 years 1 month ago #321530 by gemini kiwi
Replied by gemini kiwi on topic storm
wow you survived the mini tornado, OH had hired a huge cherry picker 2 days before and topped some of our problem trees luckily, I'd also finished my outside chores an hour earlier that day as my grand-daughter was arriving so all the goats were tucked up snug as bugs in their pens. OH arrived home early also.
I don't recall seeing anything on the weather forecast as to how bad it was either.
glad you're back online our power was off and on I kept grabbing the maccaroni cheese dish and putting it in the microwave and it worked for about 3 seconds then power was off again, I lit the wood stove and it felt comforting and warm whilst the weather havoc continued.
We bought a camping gas lamp too and that was brilliant I hate the smell of the kerosene ones we have.
GK

More
14 years 1 month ago #321538 by ccrk9
have just been reading the Stuff/Dompost pages - didnt realise there had been a mini tornado! Just glad it came the direction it did as when the old sheep shed at the top end of the road lost part of its roof it was blown away from us...if it had come from the east we would have had a whole lot of spare roof iron.

Funny how the newspapers dont really say anything about how hard it hit here as it was really bad - Im sure there must have been roofs off etc on this side of the hill but it was all about Wellington. Mind you I often notice when we get flooding we dont get a mention on the news...where other areas moan and carry on we seem to just get on with the clean up without any fuss!

very cross - went out and picked up 3 10 litre buckets of walnuts.....grrrr. They have come down about two weeks to early and are no quite ready. I managed to get some out of the husks but the rest are not worth saving.

Its amazing we had so little damage really....

More
14 years 1 month ago #321541 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic storm
[QUOTE=ccrk9;307247Mind you I often notice when we get flooding we dont get a mention on the news...where other areas moan and carry on we seem to just get on with the clean up without any fuss![/quote]

No moaning or carrying on here.... :D :p
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
14 years 1 month ago #321542 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic storm
After a busy weekend with all the family (here to help in the final things before one daughter moves to Aus on tuesday) was able to walk around the paddocks and found about half a very tall poplar from the neighbours had dropped into our paddock. The debris from the row of poplars along our boundary is incredible and we'll be trying to clear the paddocks for a long time I think. We also lost half an Ash tree in the garden - we lost a large part about 2 years ago and I'm told they are brittle and prone to splitting. Now there is only enough left to hold the kids swing! It rained during the night but only 12 mms.Since then its been sunshine and heat.
But Jack it was rain and I'm sorry we can't send you a bit though I'm sure you don't need those kinds of winds!

More
14 years 1 month ago #321563 by Bunter
Replied by Bunter on topic storm
Pretty bad here. Have spent the best part of 2 days clearing up fallen poplars and about 1/4 way through it now. One big one on boundary fence fell over and the mound of dirt, grass and roots lifted the fence about 3 meters in the air. Once the tree was cut off the stump it went back down with a huge crash and the fence isnt looking too bad considering.

Karen
26 Acres South Wairarapa.
1 Dog. 12 yearlings, and 11 weaners ...... hand reared beef x's !

More
14 years 1 month ago #321568 by gemini kiwi
You'll have heaps of firewood for next year, glad to hear we all came through Ok with no human or animal injuries.

More
14 years 1 month ago #321609 by gemini kiwi
This video coverage is pretty good, and just what we experienced here in the southern wairarapa.

More
14 years 1 month ago #321610 by gemini kiwi

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds