Incubators flaws / positives etc

More
14 years 2 months ago #22221 by Jeffie
Hi, I am keen on buying a incubator this year but which one to buy! Anyone here have experience / feedback on the ones available in NZ.

I am quite keen on the Hova-Bator Turbo Fan Incubator with a Automatic Egg Turner.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #320429 by Simkin
Hi Jeffie,

you get what you pay for - that applies to incubators, too.

Just be aware that when a hatch is bad it is the cockerels that survive.

I can recommend the Bellsouth still air incubator or the Brinsea Octagon fan forced incubator.

More
14 years 2 months ago #320437 by Cinsara
I would run as fast as I could away from the Hovabators. Temp needs to be constantly fiddled with and the hatch is never great if at all and they are IMPOSSIBLE to clean let alone steralise. Rcom King Suro Incubator are a similar price and reliable although the egg capacity is only 20, also the RCom20 or Pro 20's are good and any Brinsea is good. Cheap means trouble in my experience with incubators. Keep an eye out for a good brand second hand one over winter when people may be upgrading once the season is well and truely over.

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
14 years 2 months ago #320439 by HarryPotter
Fully agree with Cinsara. I would never go back to a Hovabator having tried other machines. Hovabators are affordable but in reality I found the hatches to be less successful. The temperamental nature of mine meant that I was forever having to adjust it.
I have to say that Brinsea are a good brand and I have had great results with my machine. If you intend to continue this hobby for a few years, the investment you make now will hold you in good stead.

Sharing the pad with Harry the Australian Terrorist, Penny the Bearded Collie, Bev the Schnauzer/beardie and her daughters Nellie and Charlotte. (Dad was a Hungarian Vizsla) + lots of chooks. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
14 years 2 months ago #321015 by david brooks
Hi Jeffi,
The early Hover-bator models were not made for NZ conditions and this did create problems for a number of people that had them. The main problem was keeping them up to the right temperture. The later models seem to work ok.
The Bell South are an excellent incubator and i have had excellent hatches from these machines. The Brinsea incubators are also an excellent choice but you do not say as to how large an incubator you want.
If you have the money buy yourself a good Brinsea machine and you will not be disapointed. Happy hunting in your search.

More
14 years 2 months ago #321029 by Xartep
I have both a BellSouth 100 and a Brinsea Octogon 20, my preference is for the Brinsea, this unit is ancient and falling apart but I have almost 100% hatches from it every time. Having said that the Bell South with the manual turner does a good job also. I am going to invest in an auto turner for it this season.
I have an older Bell South 100 manual unit that I will be selling sometime soon, I just need to do some testing on the thermostat 1st. Only selling because I have decided that I got a bit carried away last year and really don't need to be able to hatch up to 250 eggs every three weeks [:0] :D [;)]

I got my new BellSouth from the supplier in Australia, it cost less this way and the service was excellent.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #328841 by Jeffie
I've done some research and def buying one this year. What about the Kaipara jn3-48? I see there are a few for sale on TM.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #328844 by spoook
I have a Black Chick , it only takes 12 chicken or 8 or 10 duck. If I were starting again I would get the next one up.
I do not have problems with it and would recommend it as a trustworthy incubator.
I would not like to say how successful is was due to the numbers it has hatched as I feel my egg quality would be a factor. Then again, I have hatched many ducks in it.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #328859 by Cinsara

Jeffie;315330 wrote: I've done some research and def buying one this year. What about the Kaipara jn3-48? I see there are a few for sale on TM.

I was reading something on another site about incubators and it may well be the same machine as the pics on TM look like the eggs stand up rather than lie down which is obviously unnatural unless the hen is pretty clever. That's one of the reasons I don't like fan forced machines as I've never seen a hen with a fan on her butt. :D

I still swear by Brinsea personal choice but Malvern has a good selection of other brands too I think. Their quarantee and replacement service is A+ and they can also supply parts if your machine is second hand or out of warranty. I have heard good feedback regarding Dominion (black chick) as well.

>

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #328861 by Xartep
Note - the Bellsouth100 has a lower success rate if fully manual, due to the repeated opening and turning of a large quantity of eggs.
The manual turner means you don't have to open the incubator other than to top up the water every now and again. The down side is that it reduces the capacity to about 42 chook eggs.
I worked out a method of loading the incubator with around 80 eggs and not having to open daily but it was a bit tricky and still did not have the high hatch rate of the manual turn unit.
The manual unit makes a fabulous brooder or hatcher though.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #328863 by Jeffie
My first reaction is to say I don't need a huge incubator - around 20 eggs at the most and not all through the year as I really don't plan to hatch loads of chickens :) but then a year later or two I might feel different and want a bigger one and then more money to splash out.

Hmm, it is a hard one. :o

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #328864 by Cinsara

Jeffie;315353 wrote: My first reaction is to say I don't need a huge incubator - around 20 eggs at the most and not all through the year as I really don't plan to hatch loads of chickens :) but then a year later or two I might feel different and want a bigger one and then more money to splash out.

Rule of thumb....buy as big as you can afford within reason. If you buy a 12 egger you will want a 42'er as soon as you have sucess with your first clutch [^] Plus it is an emotionally involved process so you don't want to invest that much energy on just a handful of potential chicks :)

>

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #328925 by Iniuk
I have an old Hovabator with a fan- for a while I had the use of a turner and it was easier, but I am not sure I'll buy my own. I found the biggest factor was the QUALITY OF THE EGGS and the biggest improvement I made was to feed up the parent stock SIX WEEKS before setting with vegemite, cod liver oil, a cheap vitamin tab etc twice a week. HUGE difference. Also choose well-shaped eggs, fairly fresh, kept cool but not cold. I check the temp for several days before I put them in. Oh yes, the temp did go 'off' at one stage and I replaced the wafer very successfully.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #328929 by Poultry Valley and Lifestyle

Jeffie;315353 wrote: My first reaction is to say I don't need a huge incubator - around 20 eggs at the most and not all through the year as I really don't plan to hatch loads of chickens :) but then a year later or two I might feel different and want a bigger one and then more money to splash out.

Hi Jeffie, agree with cinsara re; the incubator size, go for one a bit bigger and if you want the very best ( although pricey :) A Black Chick is the very best [;)] I have one and it is brilliant ! I also have a large Brinsea, which is good too, but if I was to just keep one it would be the Black Chick :D

Try to get one with rollers I know Dominion had a only very slightly used one with rollers that does 35 eggs but it will take another 35 egg in the bottom hatching tray ! No rollers in the bottom hatching tray though [:0][;)]

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #328930 by Poultry Valley and Lifestyle

Hi Jeffie, agree with cinsara re; the incubator size, go for one a bit bigger and if you want the very best ( although pricey :) A Black Chick is the very best [;)] I have one and it is brilliant ! I also have a large Brinsea, which is good too, but if I was to just keep one it would be the Black Chick :D

Try to get one with rollers I know Dominion had a only very slightly used one with rollers that does 35 eggs but it will take another 35 egg in the bottom hatching tray ! No rollers in the bottom hatching tray though [:0] they did have it at a reduced price [;)] not sure if they still have it but worth a try ?

Oops what happened there ???? went to add some and whoops created another ??

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds