Goat coughing - any suggestions?

More
12 years 9 months ago #381382 by Andrea1
Could be as minor as an allergy, could be as bad as pneumonia, which can be chronic and recurring once the airways are damaged the first time they have it. Sometimes they just have the cough for life, but their life will be shortened, and on necropsy you will see the damage. How frequently does she cough? The stress of travel could have brought it on, as often happens with goats (not just pneumonia, but every little thing that may be fine while they are not stressed but occurs after travel). I was just speaking to a friend yesterday about how she was treating one of her Nubies for chronic pneumonia, and of course I've forgotten what she said she was using, but whatever it is, it's been effective. Doxycycline, I think? Prescribed by her vet.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #381455 by HarryPotter
I too had a chronic problem with the goats coughing in my herd as Yakut mentioned. It spread through the herd and despite a whole raft of tests that did specifically test for Lungworm, results were inconclusive.

They did test positive for two strains of Mycoplasma though which the vet said could very well be causing the coughing through a very passive form of caprine pneumonia. I would have to look through my records to get the exact diagnosis but that was his findings very briefly.

Despite the cough the animals were very fit and healthy. It was just really annoying to hear and I felt very sorry for some of the worst affected animals. It was worse for them moving around or first thing in the morning. when they were moved to an indoor situation they improved dramatically.

Sharing the pad with Harry the Australian Terrorist, Penny the Bearded Collie, Bev the Schnauzer/beardie and her daughters Nellie and Charlotte. (Dad was a Hungarian Vizsla) + lots of chooks. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
12 years 9 months ago #381526 by Squeaky Hollow2
tTanks Andrea and HP, interesting info. I have noted it down and will mention to the vet. going down tomorrow. Will be fun taking Maisie in the truck, she likes travelling! Will report back.

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds