Young affectionate Greyhound needs a home

More
14 years 2 months ago #21788 by Ghilly
Friends of ours have gone to live in Australia and sent the two greyhounds they owned to GAP.... One is retired, the other was still racing but none of the other greyhound owners were interested in her. The retired lad has been accepted for rehoming, the other one has not. She is, as I say, still able to race, hasn't won but has been placed. She's quite small, brindle coloured and very 'bouncy' . GAP said she wasn't good with other breeds.... which seems to mean, other dogs especially small dogs.

Her name is Kipper. She's 3 years and 9 months old. She needs a home where she will be the only dog and no cats... she is trained to chase fluffy things after all. Her racing name is Looney Magic.

She's a sweet girl, actually, I have a soft spot for her but we already have two dogs and three cats and chickens etc.

She'll need a run cos she has the potential to jump, she hasn't jumped a fence but I've seen her bounce and man can she bounce high!

Her owners managed to rehome the two other racing dogs with trainers and took their huntaway and another retired greyhound with them, we took the two dogs to the airport on Friday.. Awwww they were so well behaved but Jill, the greyhound is finding the heat a bit hard to cope with over there, she is SUCH a sweetheart. All their greyhounds are such smooches.

In spite of greyhounds being racing dogs, they are quite lazy, or can be. They love attention and I'm sure Kipper would make a gorgeous pet. She loved getting pats and cuddles from her owner and family.

I've been asked to ask on here to see if anyone is interested or, knows of someone who might be interested.

GAP is continuing to run Kipper through their programme, ie, she will be spayed and if a home isn't found for her, she will be put down.

Her owner has taken care of all financial matters to put her through GAP's programme so there won't be any costs involved to her new owner

Anyway, is there anyone out there who can take her on? She's very affectionate and it's so sad that her life will end if no home can be found for her.

Kim will post a photo of her here.

Yakut

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #315092 by Kiwi303
A pity she's so far north, I could see myself coursing a greyhound after wild rabbits :D

I hope they find a home.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
14 years 2 months ago #315095 by Pyewacket
Here are some photos. I have watched her race and she is small for a greyhound. I took photos of all the dogs about two weeks ago. Our friends were upset about having to leave them behind, so we gave them a digital photo frame as a leaving gift and added photos of all the dogs.

This is Kippa being encouraged to run by the owner's son:

She was more interested in hanging around humans than showing off her racing ability.

Here she is, looking very pleased with all the attention:

Hiding under the shade in the corner of the paddock:

Finally, racing across the paddock:

Every time Kippa was taken out of her kennel, she would leap in the air to show her appreciation. Once she'd bounced her thanks, she would settle down.

She is good with people, although I would not recommend a home with young children. We really do feel it is worth a try, as someone on here might know of someone... Kippa is currently in the GAP kennels at Sanson.

Attached files
File Attachment:
File Attachment:
File Attachment:
File Attachment:

More
14 years 2 months ago #315097 by Pyewacket
Just received an update from the owner. GAP have given more information.
Quote: Kippa has a very high prey drive around other dog breeds, chickens, etc... and anything moving over- excites her and she tries to grab rather than sniff. It will be a HUGE responsibility for an owner to keep her safe (and other animals). Unquote.

GAP have said that they will keep her for a week or so. We have decided not to put her on Trade Me, because it would be too difficult to vet any potential dog owner.

If you know of anyone with the right experience in owning dogs, who will keep Kippa safe, please let Yakut know. Thank you.

More
14 years 2 months ago #315118 by Yo Man

Kiwi303;300133 wrote: A pity she's so far north, I could see myself coursing a greyhound after wild rabbits :D

I hope they find a home.

We have one from GAP. Part of the adoption policy is that the dog is not to be used for hunting of any kind. :p

More
14 years 2 months ago #315139 by bev
would they be happy if it was raced again? I know a trainer that does it for a hobby, i can ask him

More
14 years 2 months ago #315146 by Pyewacket
Bev, they would be okay about Kippa continuing to race, although the owner has pointed out that she will be 4 in April. However, Kippa is still very keen.

If your friend is interested, he can check out her profile on the NZ Greyhound website (Looney Magic).

The owner would like to stress that she does not want Kippa treated in a cruel manner when she gets too bouncy. That may sound like an odd request, but the owner has been involved in greyhound racing for some years and has witnessed occasional cruelty, although I would stress that most owners treat their dogs extremely well.

She also pointed out that Kippa has gained a little weight and would need to get fit again. She doesn't want to place restrictions on a new owner, but she would like to know what Kippa's future might be when she eventually retires from racing.

Kippa lives to race, although I have seen other greyhounds who have been the same, but once they were retired from racing, their prey drive naturally lessened slightly (not gone completely, though) and they became very laid back.

I would really like to save Kippa if I can. I have always described her as the little dog with a big heart. She certainly gives her all when she races - and she does like humans.

More
14 years 2 months ago #315147 by Kiwi303

Yo Man;300160 wrote: We have one from GAP. Part of the adoption policy is that the dog is not to be used for hunting of any kind. :p

That's dropped me from a "possibly one day" GAP adoptor to a "not a chance"

I could understand adoption contracts ruling out greyhounds as pig dogs, but why stop rabbiting? It's their natural prey after all.

I'm not a natural dog owner, any dog would have to be dual purpose, Red was a huntaway, spent more time lazing on the deck like a house dog, but he was a working dog. Any mutt I'd have would have to be able to something other than just be a pet. Even the cat keeps down the mice and rats, the only non-productive animals on the property here are the two axolotls! and even they could hopefully produce saleable babies if I treat them right.

More
14 years 2 months ago #315154 by Cinsara
How silly not allowing them to hunt, I agree with Kiwi re the pig hunting but chasing things is what they are all about.

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
14 years 2 months ago #315167 by Birman Babe
Most owners are more worried about the "type of hunter" their retired dogs go to, more than the fact that the dog will be sent off to kill things. There are some hunters out there who treat their dogs terribly but others, like Kiwi303, who have them as pets as well ... I cant see anything wrong with a good hunting home for a dog like this.

More
14 years 2 months ago #315171 by DiDi
Very interesting. A good friend of mine has a male Greyhound (can't remember how he got him though) and he has told me if someone came down the drive and asked if they could have him, he would hand him over in a heartbeat.

NOT because he doesn't care about him but because he is "Useless. The laziest dog ever born" When he first got him (all ribs) he did lope all over the farm with him but one touch of an electric fence and he now lies on his back on a sofa all day. Not going near those scary paddocks. laugh

He lives with two cats, another dog (and plenty of visiting dogs), dozens of horses, people coming and going all day. I would classify him THE most laid back dog I have had anything to do with and I have had dogs in my life for years. Perhaps the difference is that he is FAT for a greyhound but then he doesn't DO anything. Laugh

I'm not intending to question the experts on this but any dog in that scenario would be full of beans surely? There are plenty of pictures on the Web of rescued Grehounds with children. Just wonder why they are so adamant about what is right for this girl.

More
14 years 2 months ago #315179 by Ghilly
She's a lively wee bean and bounces, so she'd probably knock a small child over, plus, we are just playing on the safe side with her. We'd hate for her to go to a home with small children only to have her snap at one..... or see them as a lure. You also have to be aware that they are quite delicate and could break a hock if racing about or chasing rabbits.

Kim knows this dog quite well which is why she's pointed out these things.

They are lazy, not at all the image one would expect of a greyhound but really, if they had a choice between going for a walk and lying about, they'd pick lying about. They aren't marathon runners, just short sharp bursts of speed and it's all over until the next training day or race day.

The greyhound that went to Australia with the family is just a big love, she just loves to lie around and be with people, totally unexcited, in fact, it took a lot to get her excited about anything.

When Kim was looking after them at their house, Jill would always come out of her kennel/run and put her paws on Kims shoulders and just stand there saying hello, no licks or anything, just a welcome greeting before she went out for a run around the paddock. She run off, go to the toilet, have a quiet sniff around and was ready to go back into her run for her dinner.

Each breed of dog has a different build and a greyhound is lean... it needs to be, check out those skinny legs and general build. A fat greyhound will find it hard to get around. I get told Bria is skinny but she's only half Blue heeler. Her mum was a pedigree Blue Heeler, her dad was pretty good at jumping fences... or digging under them..... but she just can't cope with the weight of a Blue Heeler, she waddles and looks like a roll of carpet on legs. She is svelt and can rip around the yard with no problems at all but! I am careful with her. She is so focused on catching anything that is thrown for her she has injured herself several times by literally throwing herself any old how just to get those choppers around her toy. Somersaults, spins, you name it.... She leapt up one day and lost her balance on landing and landed on her tail, she yelped and ran inside and didn't wag her tail for a week.

A greyhound can easily put it's back out and they do quite often have serious injuries from over doing it..... the bends on the race track are really hard on their joints and I've seen some nasty crashes on the track... not that I'm a regular watcher of races.

We just want the best for Kippa and to know that she is in a home that knows the advantages and pitfalls is a big plus for Kippa. We want the new owner to know about her, her pros and cons if you will....
No point in sending a her off to a new home and the new owners finding out she's not suitable because we didn't think to tell them everything.

She's quite excitable and having a small child around would probably not be in anyones best interests.

Speaking of which, I dosed Bria up on Stress med and took her to the market on Sunday... I know her and can handle her, she gets septic around other dogs...... she was fine, ignored all other dogs.... until the stress med wore off after we'd left the market.
While we were there, a couple of adults strolled past us with a small tot in tow. He stopped, about a foot from Brias face and started squealing LOUD!!!! She was sitting, being good and pretty much ignored him, she did lick his hand but I had her on a short lead and pulled her away when he started screaming in her face.

He was thrilled about seeing a dog, not a frightened scream at all, he had a big smile on his face and his eyes were wide with excitement..... This could have been a right royal disaster if Bria wasn't ok with kids.... I still wouldn't trust her, especially with a kid this size and making that sort of noise but it would have been my fault if she had gone for him.... I was tempted to snap at him, it was one of those high shrill piercing squeals.... how Bria put up with it I don't know... I pulled her out of harms way milliseconds after he tried to break glass and she was fine but I was pretty annoyed... it took the grandmother quite a while (in my opinion) to collect him and take him away.

Yesterday we were at the cafe and two little girls walked right up to her, daddy walking a distance in front. They waved their arms in front of her and she licked them..... they were both covered in icecream so they were lucky she didn't clean them off completely.... it's just the total obliviousness of adults and what their kids are doing while out in public that amazes me....

We want to be sure our dogs are safe too.... this applies to Kippa as it does any animal.

Of course, it's all up the the new owner but we'd hate for anything to go wrong and Kippa be put down just because a small child got too excited around her and she snapped at them.....

Yakut

More
14 years 2 months ago #315180 by Cinsara
Kiwi do you have a race track in your area? An old school friend of mine races them and said if you go down the track (either a meet or a training session) you can take one home with you more often than not, maybe not there on the day but all the owners have dogs at home they are having to get rid of and are more than happy not to have to take them to the vet. If you are taking a dog for a run on the farm and it chases a rabbit or 20 it's not what I would call hunting in the dog welfare sense of the word anyway as BB says, so you should be right to promise not to hunt your adopted dog.

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
14 years 2 months ago #315183 by Kiwi303
Theres a horse track, I don't know about dog track... Could be worth looking into :D

More
14 years 2 months ago #315427 by Ghilly

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds