Leghorns - colours and temperament

More
14 years 4 months ago #21670 by Francesca
A few years ago, I bought a Pekin hen with chicks at foot at the local Poultry Show. Her White Leghorn x Pekin pullets grew up to be the best layers I've ever had. They hardly stop for winter and are very reliable, unlike all the other breeds I've tried over the years.

I've just bought in a couple of White Leghorn pullets, to increase my poultry stock and hopefully to breed from. While I was searching for White Leghorns, I came across information on all the other colours of Leghorn, and am wondering if they lay as well?

Other shades of Leghorn would make a welcome change from my increasingly white flock. I would be very interested to hear from people who raise either Brown Leghorns or Black Leghorns or any more exotic variety. Have you found any difference from the Whites in egg production?

I would also welcome any comments on the Leghorn temperament - my new 8 week old pullets don't seem especially nervous or flighty :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 4 months ago #313707 by spoook
Welcome Francesca, I am sure one of our poultry expert members will be along to advise you soon.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
14 years 4 months ago #313772 by Jo-Otago
I've got 3 brown leghorns but they're currently only 4 weeks old so a bit early to tell how well they will lay (or crow, as the case may be! :p ).
I'm sure others will be able to tell you more :) I think SarahM on here has some down south

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
14 years 4 months ago #313777 by david brooks
Hi,
I have both White & Brown leghorns, and both are excellent layers, however i prefer the white only because of good egg size. I know a person who has Black leghorns and hers are good layers.
I have also got New Hampshires and these birds for a heavy breed certainly lay well.

More
14 years 4 months ago #313782 by kaybe
Hi Francesca, welcome to LSB, I have Brown Leghorns, I got them as adults so I'm not sure how old they are but the 2 who look younger seem to lay every day (if I can find their eggs!). I met with a guy yesterday whose 4 BL hens are about 4 yrs old and he's getting 3-4 eggs a day still. I guess like most breeds there are strains who lay better than others, sometimes the show birds lose out on high-egg laying in favour of looks, s if you're buying from breeder make sure his/her flock are good layers. Egg size is pretty good for a small breed, mine are slightly smaller than the Brown Shaver' eggs - maybe a size 7?

I don't find the adults any more flighty than my other heavier breeds - but get a bunch of BL chicks in the incubator or brooder and you can tell the Leghorns - they're the ones leaping about and generally causing havoc! :-D

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds